70-293 DNS Subdomains

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by C_Guy, Dec 19, 2009.

  1. C_Guy

    C_Guy Guest

    Hi everyone;

    I am studying for Exam 70-293 and I am having some trouble with DNS
    subdomains. I understand the concept but am not sure how to set them up
    properly on Windows Server 2003.

    For instance, on a new server installation I can set up a new Forward Lookup
    Zone for "fabrikam.com" as a Primary standard zone. Let's say I want a
    subdomain "internal.fabrikam.com". I can either:

    -Right-click on the fabrikam.com zone, choose New Domain... and type in
    "internal". This generates what looks like a subfolder under "fabrikam.com"
    called "internal"
    OR
    -I can right-click on "Forward Lookup Zones", choose new Zone -> Primary
    Zone and enter "internal.fabrikam.com" If I do this I get a new zone called
    "internal.fabrikam.com".

    I can have 1 zone with a subdomain for "internal.fabrikam.com" or I can have
    two zones, one for "fabrikam.com" and one for "internal.fabrikam.com"... What
    is the difference and what would be considered the correct method?

    Thanks to anyone for their insight :)
    C_Guy, Dec 19, 2009

  2. "C_Guy" <> wrote in message

    > For instance, on a new server installation I can set up a new Forward
    > Lookup
    > Zone for "fabrikam.com" as a Primary standard zone. Let's say I want a
    > subdomain "internal.fabrikam.com". I can either:
    >
    > -Right-click on the fabrikam.com zone, choose New Domain... and type in
    > "internal". This generates what looks like a subfolder under
    > "fabrikam.com"
    > called "internal"
    > OR
    > -I can right-click on "Forward Lookup Zones", choose new Zone -> Primary
    > Zone and enter "internal.fabrikam.com" If I do this I get a new zone
    > called
    > "internal.fabrikam.com".
    >
    > I can have 1 zone with a subdomain for "internal.fabrikam.com" or I can
    > have
    > two zones, one for "fabrikam.com" and one for "internal.fabrikam.com"...
    > What
    > is the difference and what would be considered the correct method?

    The distinction here is whether the subdomain will be managed as a separate
    *zone* or in the same zone as the primary domain. To fully grasp this
    distinction you'll need to understand the significance of the "zone" in the
    Domain Name System -- which is not a topic covered by the 70-293 exam,
    because it's generally not relevant in an AD-Integrated domain environment.

    The short answer is that the issue of a zone is really only relevant to a
    FILE-based DNS environment. A "zone" is a container that represents a point
    of authority for the contents of that "zone". A zone is a physical
    manifestation of the logical concept of a domain (including subdomains). A
    single domain can be split into multiple zones -- though is rarely done
    (thus granting authority over different segments of a single domain). A
    subdomain can be managed in the same zone as the parent domain -- typically
    done when a single authority is responsible for both domains, or a subdomain
    can be managed in a separate zone, usually done when the management for the
    subdomain will be delegated to a different authority.

    For a great reference on all things DNS, and the original implementation via
    BIND, long before Microsoft reinvented the system (or tried to), look for
    the O'Reilly book titled "DNS and BIND" which is still considered to be the
    "bible" on DNS.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Dec 20, 2009

  3. C_Guy

    C_Guy Guest

    Thanks Lawrence, that makes sense and answers my question. I appreciate your
    help :)

    C_Guy, Dec 20, 2009