70-292, Question about Root Hints - Windows Server 2003 DNS

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Sam, May 6, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Here is the question from Transcender..

    You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
    domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
    contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
    2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
    hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.

    You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
    resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
    the corporate network.

    Which of the following should you do?

    a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
    b Clear the DNS server cache
    c Disable recursion
    d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.

    According to Transcender the answer is "c".
    I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sam

    Sam, May 6, 2006

  2. Sam

    Wayne Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Here is the question from Transcender..
    >
    > You administer your company network, which consists of a single AD
    > domain. The network is not connected to the Internet. The network
    > contains 2 Windows Server 2003 domain controllers, 10 Windows Server
    > 2003 member servers and 100 Windows XP pro client computers. Server01
    > hosts a standard primary DNS zone for the AD domain.
    >
    > You must ensure that if a DNS client queries Server01 for external name
    > resolution, Server01 will not attempt to contact DNS servers outside
    > the corporate network.
    >
    > Which of the following should you do?
    >
    > a Remove all entries from the Root Hints tab
    > b Clear the DNS server cache
    > c Disable recursion
    > d Remove all forwarders from the Forwarders tab.
    >
    > According to Transcender the answer is "c".
    > I think answer could be "a", what do you guys think?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Sam

    Did you read the references Transcender gave you? Have you Google-d? Have
    you read RFC's 1034 and 1035? Saying "I think answer *could* be a" is pure
    laziness, give us some proof of research and we'll gladly help you work
    through the answer.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver, MCP Windows 95

    Wayne, May 7, 2006

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hi Wayne,

    Thank you for your reply. But i did my research and also tried on my
    practic network at home and it looks like both will work but answer
    provided by Transcender is easier to implement.

    Thanks,

    Sam

    Sam, May 7, 2006
  4. Hi Sam
    "a" & "c" both have same output for dns service, but if you disable
    recursion when you have no internet name resolving, DNS work faster, because
    if recursion is enable and you remove all enteries from the root hint tab,
    DNS service must check the empty list at each client query.

    good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?YWx0MTQ2?=, May 7, 2006
  5. You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need to
    provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the root
    hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
    quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
    have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
    forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
    Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
    servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=, May 9, 2006
  6. Sam

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    > You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
    > provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
    > root
    > hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
    > quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
    > have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
    > forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
    > Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
    > servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

    While I understand your point, I beg to differ. When taking tests designed
    by Microsoft, one should not necessarily provide the "Best" answer so much
    as one should provide the "Microsoft" answer.

    Anyone who has taken the MCSD solution architectures exam would understand
    exactly where I'm coming from on this.

    Frisbee®, May 9, 2006
  7. Sam

    MitchS Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    > You have to remember when taken tests designed by Microsoft that you need
    > provide the "Best" answer. If you choose "a" that may take care of the
    > root
    > hints but what if there are fowarders setup for the DNS server? I know the
    > quesiton does not state whether there are forwarders active but you still
    > have to keep that as a possibility. Server01 will still try to contact the
    > forwarding server even if the server does not have an answer to the query.
    > Question specifically states Server01 should NOT attempt to contact DNS
    > servers out side the corp network. That's why "C" is the answer

    I'm pissed now, Joboo. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You no help me
    now, I say, fu** you, Joboo. I do it myself.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, May 9, 2006
  8. Maybe I used the wrong wording but your are correct. You need to provide the
    "Microsoft" Answer which when I take Microsoft Exams = the best answer.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=, May 9, 2006
  9. Hey Bartender!! Joboo needs a refill!

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=, May 9, 2006
  10. Sam

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe I used the wrong wording but your are correct. You need to provide
    > the
    > "Microsoft" Answer which when I take Microsoft Exams = the best answer.

    You missed my point. You do indeed need to provide the "Microsoft" answer,
    but that is not always necessarily the "best" or even "correct" answer.

    Frisbee®, May 9, 2006
  11. I do understand your point. Microsoft answer = not always best/correct
    answer. However, when taking MS exams you need to think like Microsoft. And
    in that frame of mind the best answer is the Microsoft answer.

    Ok. Now my brain is hurting! LOL

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9ib28=?=, May 9, 2006
  12. Sam

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    >I do understand your point. Microsoft answer = not always best/correct
    > answer. However, when taking MS exams you need to think like Microsoft.
    > And
    > in that frame of mind the best answer is the Microsoft answer.
    >
    > Ok. Now my brain is hurting! LOL

    You learn quickly, grasshopper. You shall do well on your exams.

    Frisbee®, May 9, 2006
  13. Sam

    MitchS Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    >I do understand your point. Microsoft answer = not always best/correct
    > answer. However, when taking MS exams you need to think like Microsoft.
    > And
    > in that frame of mind the best answer is the Microsoft answer.
    >
    > Ok. Now my brain is hurting! LOL

    Now try this one on for size. When thinking like Mivrosoft, you need to
    remember that Microsoft thinks their products all work as described.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, May 9, 2006
  14. Sam

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Anyone who has taken the MCSD solution architectures exam would understand
    >exactly where I'm coming from on this.

    indeed. It should read 'Choose the best answer that promotes microsoft
    in the best possible light'

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, May 9, 2006
  15. Sam

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Frisbee®" <> say in

    > "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    >>I do understand your point. Microsoft answer = not always best/correct
    >> answer. However, when taking MS exams you need to think like

    Microsoft.
    >> And
    >> in that frame of mind the best answer is the Microsoft answer.
    >>
    >> Ok. Now my brain is hurting! LOL

    > You learn quickly, grasshopper. You shall do well on your exams.

    TMML

    ...cause it's true

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Confucius say: Many man smoke, but Fu Manchu

    Neil, May 9, 2006
  16. Sam

    MitchS Guest

    "Joboo" <> wrote in message
    > Hey Bartender!! Joboo needs a refill!

    "I ask Jobo to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will
    come."
    Or in Neil's case, a pic of LRM and a wetnap.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.

    MitchS, May 9, 2006
  17. Sam

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "MitchS" <> say in news:eeuK
    $:

    > Or in Neil's case, a pic of LRM and a wetnap.

    I have the pics...

    ....pass the wetnaps

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

    Neil, May 9, 2006
  18. << While I was at work, MitchS spurted out:

    > Or in Neil's case, a pic of LRM and a wetnap.

    Um, Mitch, that's a Wet Dream
    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP #00110011

    Bigus Di©kus, May 9, 2006
  19. Sam

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    > << While I was at work, MitchS spurted out:
    >>
    >> Or in Neil's case, a pic of LRM and a wetnap.
    >>

    > Um, Mitch, that's a Wet Dream

    Yeah, and if it happens in the daytime at work you would be daydreaming at
    work and in need of a wetnap as showering at work might not be possible.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2

    LRM, May 10, 2006
  20. "LRM" <> wrote in message
    > All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    >> << While I was at work, MitchS spurted out:
    >> <<------------------------------------------>>
    >>>
    >>> Or in Neil's case, a pic of LRM and a wetnap.
    >>>

    >> Um, Mitch, that's a Wet Dream

    > Yeah, and if it happens in the daytime at work you would be daydreaming at
    > work and in need of a wetnap as showering at work might not be possible.

    Come to think of it, I have had a wetnap. I was still in the Navy, passed out
    in a reclining chair taking a nooner, dreaming of the Admin Officer (F), when
    all of the sudden..... SPLORF!

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP 00110011