    I've heard 70-292 is real tough so I'm thinking of doing the two other
    exams?

    What do you guys think?

    Stu Cousins, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Stu Cousins

    Mark Guest

    Be a man about the thing, take 292. Take advantage of your 2nd attempt free
    should you need it. If there was no difficulty in taking a shortcut, it
    wouldnt be a shortcut, it would just be 'the way'!!!

    Mark.

    Mark, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Have you taken the 292 already?
    I'm MCSA on 2000, but I'll take the other two instead of 292

    Victor Guillen, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Stu Cousins

    Stu Cousins Guest

    I've not taken 292 yet but I'll probably do that. Thanks for your help guys
    and does anyone know of any good study guides for 292? I could mention
    Testkings and Troytechs but I'd get slated on here! Haha. Just kiddin'!

    Stu Cousins, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Stu Cousins

    Mark Guest

    Im reading the big Microsoft Upgrade book (1400 odd pages), its pretty good
    so it is - very different to previous books ive read as it assumes quite a
    lot of knowledge and focuses mainly on the new 2003 features.

    I would reckon there are some holes in it, the later chapters seem to be
    quite weak i.e. the recovery chapter seems very short to cover ASR and Shadow
    Volumes and things like that. Ive been doing most of the stuff on VMWare
    which is pretty nifty too for running a couple of servers and completing the
    hands on labs at the end of each chapter.

    I think i will spend the next few weeks focusing on KB articles from
    Microsoft on advanced SUS setups, Command line tools (DSADD / DSQuery / CSVDE
    / NTDSUtil / NSlookup / Secedit), setting up wireless authentication & VPNs.

    I would also recommend checking out some of the webcasts that microsoft
    recently produced around Windows 2003 Administration:

    http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/windowsserver2003admin.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/adaug.mspx

    Although the information may not be the most detailed, there is some gold in
    there. They may not be complete as the study guides but are a different
    approach and often the information sinks in easier than just simply reading
    chapter after chapter, my $0.02 anyway!!!

    Also do a search on the newsgroup for 70-292 and you will find a lot of
    useful information and focus areas including this thread which i find
    particularly useful:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/c...&p=1&tid=42a312d9-ee3c-455f-8894-c104dd7f1659

    Good Luck!!!
    Mark.

    Mark, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Stu Cousins

    Stu Cousins Guest

    Many thanks for that Mark. I've orderd the Syngress book for 70-292 which
    I've heard is pretty good. I'll be looking through Technet for a lot of
    info and I've spent half my life on these newsgroups since discovering them
    several months ago!

    Cheers,

    Stu

    Stu Cousins, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Stu Cousins

    Stu Cousins Guest

    Thanks for your help on that Mark.

    I've ordered the Syngress book on MCSA 2000 -> MCSA 2003 after reading some
    good reviews on it. I completed my MCSA in W2K a few weeks ago and using
    these newsgroups has really helped. I've got a copy of the skill matrix for
    the exam and I'm hoping Microsoft haven't "move the goalposts" and put a
    load of stuff in the exam that isn't listed in the matrix!!

    Cheers and good luck with your exam!!

    Stu Cousins, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Stu Cousins

    mattb Guest

    if you actually know 2000 and the new 2003 stuff then the 292 falls down... i
    took 292 the day it came out, (2003), and the also the 296, and passed them
    both, first shot, based 80% on my 100% 2000 knowledge...

    mattb, Jun 17, 2005