    Like I have weeks free to go over it all again :-(

    TIA,

    Rich.

    Richard Harris, Jul 7, 2005

  2. You don't mention how much hands on you have with Windows 2003.

    For me I found that the MS Press book for 70-292/70-296 was very good to
    supplement my hands on with Windows 2003. The book has a number of good labs
    to follow. Also I read the security book for 70-299 as the Windows 2003
    exams focus much more on security and all the pertinent chapters in the free
    downloadable Windows 2003 Server Deployment Kit available at the link below.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx

    Having said that I had been using Windows 2003 extensively in my home lab
    for at least six months before I took 70-292/79-296. I spent enough time
    with each objective to be very comfortable with them an learned a lot from
    troubleshooting and fixing my failed configurations. I can not emphasize
    enough how important it is to know the intricacies of dns, all types of
    trusts, Group Policy, Software Installation, security policy,
    authentication, domain/forest functional levels, integration with Windows
    2000/NT4.0, etc.

    Dns in particular is a huge topic and in Windows 2003 the possibilities are
    almost endless - conditional forwarding, AD partitions, secondary zones,
    stub zones, integrating with Bind, zone transfers, AD replication, secure
    updates, troubleshooting tools, DHCP's role, root hints, internet name
    resolution, etc. One needs to know how to and has experience creating a
    Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 forest with child domains, configure external
    and forest trusts, and insure that all computers in all forests can resolve
    dns names of computers in all forests that are connected via trusts. Until
    one has done such and lived through the headaches and failures they do not
    appreciate the complexity of such dns configuration and the best way to do
    it for the parameters given.

    Good luck on your second try. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Steve,

    Thanks for responding, and yes, I should've said how much I work with W2K3 -
    doh!

    OK, well, fiddled with it from beta/RC stage, then first real commercial
    experience was a couple of SBS2003 installations (I know, I know.... ;->)
    early 2004. Changed jobs in October 2004 and then into the stuff with a
    vengeance ever since! I have done lots of consultancy/design study work for
    clients, and currently I am working on a 2500 user/20 server NT4 migration
    to a pristine domain using ADMT/ADC and containing a two-node Exchange 2003
    cluster.

    Being someone who believes in being able to put his money where his mouth is
    (especially as clients are paying) I have put a reasonable amount of effort
    and my own time into staying abreast of the product and its capabilites so
    that I don't develop *tunnel vision*. I often try out things in a
    four-virtual machine domain on my laptop.

    I suppose I might have been lulled into a false sense of security becuase I
    was getting 90% in all the section tests and high 70's% in the practice
    exams in the books I have - guess I now need 100% in the sections and early
    90's% in the practice exams!!!!

    Cheers,

    Rich.

    Richard Harris, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Well it certainly sounds like you are very familiar with Windows 2003 and
    Active directory! However the exams sometimes focus on situations that you
    probably would never see in the real world and you need to be prepared for
    such. Like I said be sure to concentrate on everything dns for every
    possible scenario. Unless you have a real long drive to a test center I
    would not take both exams on the same day and cram on the objectives for
    each specific exam before taking them. The Exam Cram books are so so in my
    opinion and not meant to be the main study guide no matter what your
    experience level. The MS Press book comes with Measure UP tests that I
    thought were pretty good. If you time it right you could take advantage of
    the free retakes if you fail again. I hope you don't but that certainly cuts
    down on the financial pain. I found the following links helpful though I
    took the "old" 70-292. --- Steve

    http://mcpmag.com/reviews/exams/article.asp?EditorialsID=105
    http://www.mcpmag.com/reviews/exams/article.asp?EditorialsID=106

    Steven L Umbach, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Hi Richard
    Here's a little platitude I spout when people fail...

    I keep seeing people saying "I failed 070-xxx" and like them I *hate*
    to fail. I failed my first exam in six years on the 2003 track so even
    old hands come unstuck once in a while.

    The truth hurts and I had to go back and look at what I did when I was
    passing exams and start doing it again. Here are my recommendations:

    Testkings are not the way to get through the exam. What I propose here
    will help you not only get this one but all the other exams you want
    to pass in the future.

    Here's a step by step to ensure that you pass:

    Step-by-step

    1. Improve your study techniques and find a style that ensures you
    remember the maximum of everything you read / do / memorize.

    I recommend getting Colin Rose and Brian Tracy's Accellerated Learning
    as a starting point. It gets posted on usenet every so often but if
    like me you get benefit from it you could even buy it over the
    internet for $60 or so.

    Here's the 7 Audio CD set with workbook (not the $10 promo tape)
    http://www.briantracy.com/catalog/product.asp?ProductID=21&CategoryID=7

    Be warned this may take you a couple of weekends to master - but the
    investment in time means greater retention means better chance to
    pass... You get out what you put in.

    2. Put in the hours.

    I appreciate this sounds trite (its not meant to). I spend on average
    about 40-60 hours on home study before each exam using techniques I
    picked from 1. above that suit my learning preferences. Some people
    can clear exams much quicker - I am a slow reader.

    3. Download the exam outline from Microsoft's Learning Web Site.

    You can get them from links like this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/prepare/examresults.aspx?orderby=ID

    Click here for list of MS exams and objectives this will give you
    areas to ensure that you focus on.

    4. Allow for cross-syllabus questions.

    As the exam numbers rise on the 2000 and 2003 track you will be
    expected to be able to answer questions on partner exams as well as
    exams preceding the one you are taking. For example, before you take
    290 make sure that you have also studied the material for 291 and dont
    forget the 290 material when you take 291.

    When you take 293 make sure you remind yourself of the 290 and 291
    materials as well as making sure you've studied 294 before you take
    293. When taking 294 make sure you remind yourself of 290, 291 and
    293. For 297 make sure you do more than revise the preceding four
    exams - look to step 5 as well. MS like to check you know the breadth.

    5. Ensure that you "over-learn".

    Dont just do the minimum study to get through, over learning makes you
    faster in the exam as well as more confident. A really great
    over-learning source is the freely downloadable resource guides from
    MS.

    Comment on other peoples' questions on the forum.
    QUOTE (Froggie114 @ Jan 15 2005, 08:42 PM)
    .... by researching and trying to answer questions posted by other
    members. ... You wouldn't believe how much I have learned this way

    Click here for links to all MS 2003 Server Resource Guide Downloads
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx

    For all your exams look up all the areas on the exam syllabus and scan
    the relevant files you downloaded from above. The most important of
    all these is

    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4719 Designing and Deploying
    Directory and Security Services

    6. Practice your exam technique.

    Reading the question that is there. For example when you read the
    question emphasise the word "not" so you register it as you read.

    Identify the right and wrong answers. If a question asks you which of
    the following is true, be sure before you answer and move on that all
    the other options other than the one you chose are untrue.

    Choose from likely candidates. If you have a multiple select identifiy
    and eliminate any item that is just noise or a filler before selecting
    your choices from the remaining answers.

    Identify what will be asked before you read the body of the question.
    This is easier than it sounds, reading the answers first then the body
    of the question will focus your mind on finding the right answer.

    Read the last sentence (the one with the question mark).

    QUOTE (Froggie114 @ Jan 15 2005, 08:41 PM)
    .... I read the last sentence of the question (the one that usually has
    a question mark at the end), then all the answers. Out of four
    answers, there usually are two that would make you laugh ... After I
    mentally strike those two out, I go back to the actual text of the
    question, and read it throughly to find out which one of the two I
    have left is the right one....

    If there are more, or there are multiple possible answers, they
    usually combine to form a couple of different scenarios. So I group
    them in my mind, and I go back to the question, and read it thoroughly
    to find out which of the possible scenarios is stated there.

    7. Use the "free resources" such as technet support webcasts.

    go to
    http://www.google.com/microsoft

    and query for "webcast" and the name of your topic such as "webcast"
    "2003" "zone delegation" "DNS"

    It is my opinion that MS invest a lot in webcasts to explain their
    technologies and as such ignoring them (especially as they are free)
    is a recipe for failure. You can download many old webcasts or stream
    them over dial up if that is all you have.

    either way - free resources.

    As an aside I wonder if it would be possible just on the free
    materials MS post on their website to pass any microsoft exam ? My
    guess is yes!

    This is a guaranteed recipe for success (not only in the exam but in
    the technical interviews that follow as you progress up the career
    ladder).

    I hope you choose items 1-7 - but whichever route you take, good luck!

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:45:46 +0100, "Richard Harris"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Failed both these by less than 75 today, so feeling pretty down. Wished I'd
    >looked harder at Google beforehand, seems lots of people with similar
    >background to me have been having a tough time with these.... Stupid thing
    >is I didn't find them too terrible - I have agonised longer over some of the
    >exams I took for my NT4 MCSE than I did with these (and that's not to say I
    >went in there expecting to pass).
    >
    >Anyway, not looking for sympathy as such (although feel free to commiserate
    >;-> ), but I am looking for some further study tips. I used the Exam Cram
    >books (and was getting 90% on all the test sections....), but would be
    >interested in recommendations/advice from those who've passed these exams
    >and thought their study stuff made a good contribution to their success.
    >
    >Oh, and isn't it annoying how you don't get to see your weak bits anymore??
    >Like I have weeks free to go over it all again :-(
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Rich.

    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
    Sergeant Hartwell Says:
    You will not say a word! You will not speak unless spoken to! Do you ladies understand me?
    (Sir! Yes! Sir!).
    From this point forward you will eat, think and dream Windows Server 2003! Do you maggots understand?
    (Sir! Yes! Sir!)
    We are in a war, Gentlemen! The future of the free world depends on you people becoming Microsoft certified! You each will become a MCSE! Every time you see a router that isnt RRAS you will kill it! What are you going to do ladies?
    (Kill! Kill! Kill!).
    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

    Marlin Munroe (The PFY), Jul 9, 2005
  6. Ya know, I usually just make obnoxious comments here and there, sprinkle in
    a little overblown opinion and the like.

    But I actually have to simply say that this was a pretty darn good comment,
    full of useful insights and suggestions.

    wow...<g>

    --
    RL (speachless) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Richard Harris

    Frisbee® Guest

    "RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT" <RLCoppedge around hotmail not-dash-but
    com> wrote in message news:...
    > Ya know, I usually just make obnoxious comments here and there, sprinkle
    > in a little overblown opinion and the like.
    >
    > But I actually have to simply say that this was a pretty darn good
    > comment, full of useful insights and suggestions.
    >
    > wow...<g>

    Seconded. Marlin, keep that posting handy and re-post it every once in a
    while. You never know, the less clueless might actually read it and benefit
    from it.

    Frisbee®, Jul 11, 2005
  8. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:45:05 -0400, "Frisbee®"
    <> wrote:

    >"RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT" <RLCoppedge around hotmail not-dash-but
    >com> wrote in message news:...
    >> Ya know, I usually just make obnoxious comments here and there, sprinkle
    >> in a little overblown opinion and the like.
    >>
    >> But I actually have to simply say that this was a pretty darn good
    >> comment, full of useful insights and suggestions.
    >>
    >> wow...<g>

    >Seconded. Marlin, keep that posting handy and re-post it every once in a
    >while. You never know, the less clueless might actually read it and benefit
    >from it.

    Fris
    a compliment like that is as worthy as a flame from Sven (for those of
    us that still remember his gentle charms) or the original Consultant®.

    Cheers
    just tryin' to make a difference my own way
    Cheers
    Marlin

    +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
    Sergeant Hartwell Says:
    You will not say a word! You will not speak unless spoken to! Do you ladies understand me?
    (Sir! Yes! Sir!).
    From this point forward you will eat, think and dream Windows Server 2003! Do you maggots understand?

    Marlin Munroe (The PFY), Jul 13, 2005
  9. Richard Harris

    ROEKing Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Failed both these by less than 75 today, so feeling pretty down. Wished I'd
    >looked harder at Google beforehand, seems lots of people with similar
    >background to me have been having a tough time with these.... Stupid thing
    >is I didn't find them too terrible - I have agonised longer over some of the
    >exams I took for my NT4 MCSE than I did with these (and that's not to say I
    >went in there expecting to pass).
    >
    >Anyway, not looking for sympathy as such (although feel free to commiserate
    >;-> ), but I am looking for some further study tips. I used the Exam Cram
    >books (and was getting 90% on all the test sections....), but would be
    >interested in recommendations/advice from those who've passed these exams
    >and thought their study stuff made a good contribution to their success.
    >
    >Oh, and isn't it annoying how you don't get to see your weak bits anymore??
    >Like I have weeks free to go over it all again :-(
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Rich.

    Did you have equipment problems during the exam ? I'd be happy if I
    could take the exam witrhout the exam freezing up between questions
    (on one occassion for up to 10 minutes) or crashing.

    My background:

    I am MCSE on NT and W2K, have worked with Windows NT since
    version 3.51, and have worked in the industry for over 15
    years. I have been working with Windows 2003 (deploying and
    supporting) for over a year. I have extensive clustering
    experience (both 03 and W2K).

    I have taken the exam TWICE and have failed both times with a score of
    650. On the results sheet, can some explain the "areas I need to
    improve section" to me ? Even though I got the same score, on the
    second exam results sheet, I had several bars all the way to the right
    (100%) (with the other bars at 75% or more). It was DIFFERENT than
    the first exam results. (which one area was all the way to the right
    (100%), and the others were 75% or more). Go figure !

    Each time I took the exams, I had equipment problems- once I had
    freeze ups (continuosly) and the other, the exam actually crashed (3
    times). There is nothing like seeing "Application is Terminating"
    while trying to answer a question (especially a simulation question).
    As a reult, I have scoring concerns (wouldn't you?). When I completed
    each exam, I actually thought I had passed both times. The second
    time around I know I missed two question, and I am fairly sure they
    were the only ones I missed (I know the product that well, as I have
    been studying for this exam for the past 2 months).

    I took MS 2297A back in December (what a waste of time). I also
    purchased the Sybex upgrade book (and read the entire thing, in terms
    of prepartion- it was worthless to me). I am making a 3rd attempt
    next week. To prepare, I bought additional study material from
    preplogic. I am close to aceing the sample tests- hopefully this will
    help me pass. My goal was to expose myself to as much obscure
    material as possible- so far it's working- this material is very
    obscure.

    Each time I took the exam, it seemed as if it was heavily weighted in
    one area or another- for instance the first time it was almost all DNS
    questions - no kidding, about 75%, which was riduculous in my opinion.
    The second time was almost entirely Terminal Services/RDP questions,
    but it was a *little* more balanced.

    I really wished I had followed the same path as one of my colleagues-
    he took both the exams last year, a week after they came out. He said
    70-292 was a joke, as he completed it in 15 minutes. He also said
    70-296 was a little more diffcult. As for 70-292 being easy, this is
    no longer the case for sure.

    I have read about many folks with failures on this exam (since
    December that is). In fact, I have read about several W2K MCT's that
    have failed several times (including one that took 70-292 4 times
    before he passed it). What I do not understand is very simple- if
    Microsoft really wants to certify the cream fo the crop (and that is
    all), why not give a hands on exam (for example- break a server
    solution and expect someone to figure out what is wrong, and fix it
    within a certain time period). I'd much prefer this than being
    quizzed on scenerios that I will NEVER encounter, or over material
    that I would look up anyway ? After all, can some be expected to
    memorize the switches for every command available in the OS ? Isn't
    that what the '/?' parameter is for anyway ?

    Oh I forgot - the main obective here- it's money- right ?
    The more folks they fail, the more money they collect on training
    material and exam retakes- right ?

    I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I am very disgusted after this
    experience. After all, in my past MS exam experiences, I only failed
    1 exam. (70-240 does not count- that was also ridculous- I failed that
    because I was hungry and exhausted, as 4.5 hours is a long time for a
    test- but that's another story- and it wasn't like I did not know the
    material- I took the 4 individual exams within two weeks of that
    horror story and did very well... including a perfect score on the
    server exam- go figure !)

    Wish me luck. I have actually pondered hanging it up after this last
    attempt, after all I don't need the stress (nor the certification for
    my job, as I have years of experience). Perhaps, I should consider
    the Linux road long term (maybe a Redhat Cert) ?

    Roeking,

    MCSE on NT and Windows 2000.

    ROEKing, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Richard Harris

    ROEKing Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:29:36 -0400, ROEKing <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >The more folks they fail, the more money they collect on training
    >material and exam retakes- right ?
    >
    >I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I am very disgusted after this
    >experience. After all, in my past MS exam experiences, I only failed
    >1 exam. (70-240 does not count- that was also ridculous- I failed that
    >because I was hungry and exhausted, as 4.5 hours is a long time for a
    >test- but that's another story- and it wasn't like I did not know the
    >material- I took the 4 individual exams within two weeks of that
    >horror story and did very well... including a perfect score on the
    >server exam- go figure !)
    >
    >Wish me luck. I have actually pondered hanging it up after this last
    >attempt, after all I don't need the stress (nor the certification for
    >my job, as I have years of experience). Perhaps, I should consider
    >the Linux road long term (maybe a Redhat Cert) ?

    Well, so much for attempt #3.

    For the life of me I am trying to figure out how you can get the SAME
    EXACT SCORE 3 times (650). What I don't understand is when the bars
    on the scoresheet are almost 100% (they are 100% in 3 areas), yet I
    still failed.

    Go figure.

    Microsoft, YOU WIN.

    I give up on 70-292. I will consider taking the 4 individual exams
    next year ( I have no more time to do this right now). 70-292 is
    absolutely ridiculous (there are questins that are quite frankly
    absurd). To prepare for the latest attempt, I bought preplogic (what
    a waste of time and money) and took the tests EVERY DAY FOR THE PAST
    TWO WEEKS. Each time I took one of those exams, I get a score in the
    900's. What a waste of time ! - I want my two weeks back !!!

    Oh well... maybe next year. OR, maybe not, maybe Linux.

    Roeking
    MCSE on NT and Windows 2000. (and only NT & 2000 !)

    ROEKing, Sep 2, 2005
  11. Richard Harris

    Andrew Guest

    Can we complain that the fix is in for this test? If we're all being
    scammed, is there a way to change that? I know it's Microsoft, but I
    agree - I think this test has a fix in failure rate so they can collect more
    $$$. I got a 650 but never got a report print out on the test results. How
    long do they hold those results - anyone know?

    Andrew, Sep 7, 2005
  12. Richard Harris

    ROEKing Guest

    I'm surprised you did not get your score report immediately, I got
    mine each time, within minutes.

    I did read something interesting this past week in a BLOG about an
    experience an individual had with the upgrade exams:

    He attended a class of 11 people. This class was composed of
    mostly Microsoft and Dell employees. They all took the exams
    at the end of the week. They ALL FAILED. The next day, they
    all took the exam again. ALL but one FAILED again. The
    person that passed had the minimum required score to pass,
    700. Finally, during the 3rd day of exams, the whole class
    took 70-296. Everyone in the class passed that exam. Go
    figure.

    I'd love to see Senior Microsoft Engineers take this exam, and hear
    the results !

    Did you get any questions that you thought were absolutely ridiculous
    ? I know I had one DNS question that I know I missed which could have
    been answered one of two ways, depending on the version of Bind (4.x,
    8.x or 9.x) in use - I realized this after I re-read the RFC's for DNS
    this past weekend. The question did not provide enough details to
    answer it properly. I made the wrong assumption.

    What can we do ? This is a David and Goliath thing - right ? When
    they see that the number of MCSE's become virtually non-existent,
    maybe they will change things ?

    Oh well. Time will tell.

    Thanks.

    ROEKing, Sep 8, 2005
  13. I just took 292 today for the second time. I failed the first time, missed
    by 36 points and wan't happy. I felt like there were some stupid questions,
    questions without enought detail as well. Today, I felt a little better. I
    was pretty sure that I would pass. I hit the end exam button and got a 700.
    WTF is this crap? I got my results paige and looked to see where I went
    wrong. I am going to take the 296 exam in two or three weeks, hope it isn't
    as bad as this one was.

    Brandon Baker, Sep 8, 2005
  14. Richard Harris

    Andrew Guest