70-291 test center shenanigans

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. I'm so angry right now about stupid MCSE certifications...

    I've been working toward getting and MCSE 2003 certification for the last couple of months and I'm so damn tired. I'm learning how to do things 'the microsoft way' just so that I can get a certification and improve my chances of landing a good job. It's been going OK until yesterdays experience at Unitek Information Systems in Fremont, CA. I had chosen the Unitek site as my testing center because they gave Pearson VUE tests, an VUE has a deal right now that if you take a certification test and fail it, they will let you retest for free.

    Here the deal. I was taking the 70-291, "Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Implementation, Management, and Maintainance" test for the second time. I had failed the test with a 693/700 a week prior and I'd spend the week preparing and practacing and I felt pretty confident. I don't understan how they grade these tests and everyone who asks is told that it is a Microsoft secret. Sheesh. But I digress.

    I showed up at this Pearson VUE testing center and the staff was pretty confused. Aparently the are a 'career training' center and are not used to people just studying at home and taking the tests instead of giving them thousands of dollars for training. After they finally figure it out they take me to testing room with about twelve stations and nobody else taking tests besides me and they sit me in front of a computer. Except that it doesn't work. After trying all the workstations the test 'proctor' gets one of the tech support guys to jump start one of the computers and I am left in the room by myself to take the test.

    As I click through the initial screen with the NDA and test rules I notice that one of the screens mentions something about beta questions. I didn't give it much thought at the time but I did notice that it said that ungraded questions would be inserted randomly with the regular questions. I proceeded to take the test and since I am given a whole notepad instead of a dry 6 inch by 6 inch dry erase board that I'd been given at the Prometric testing center where I had taken the previous tests, I made sure that I made little notes for myself on each quesion, in case I had to go back and recheck my answers. I was also using it to keep pace since I had not had not found the question number in the right top portion of the screen like my previous exams. And so I went along merrily on my way and then I noticed that I was on question 30 of the 35 that I expected and I had not yet seen any questions about DNS, unlike my first time. I continued answering the questions until I got to question 35. As soon as I clicked the button to confirm my last answers I leaned back after a long grueling ordeal.... Exept that I was presented with another question. At that point I thought that maybe I had miscounted the questions and so I answerd question number 36. And then I was presented with another question. When I got to question number 38 I began to realize that it was not my inability to count that was the problem, but that something else was going on. I scanned the screen carefully until I found at the bottem left corner in small type: 38 of 55 questions answerd. Holy shit. 38 of 55 questions and only 20 minutes left to go. I sped through the rest of the exam and wound up taking the last five minutes to randomly choose the answers for the last five of six questions, I barely had enough time to read the answers, let alone the questions and so I was sure that I had missed many of the last questions. When I finally 'completed' the exam I was confronted with a score of 612 out of 700. I got up from the my chair and walked up the hall to the front desk.

    When I got to the desk I had to flag somebody down because the lady who was supposed to be my 'proctor' was no where in sight. I told them that I had just completed the test. The lady walked up to the printer and said, "Oh, he failed" to somebody else in the office. She handed me the paper and sent me on my way. I went to my truck and sat ther fuming and just punched the dashboard and grunted and cursed. What the hell had just happend.

    As I drove back to my home I had plent of time to think about it. I kept wondering, why did I get 55 questions instead of 35? Why did I get beta questions? Why was I not at least warned that this was going on? Why, after preparing better for this test than any other test, was I done in not by the content of the questions, but by the delivery of the test?

    When I got home I jumped on my computer and searched the web for "MCSE beta exam". On the microsoft website I found that beta exams were given free of charge to specific certified professionals so that Microsoft could take tweak their tests. More questions popped into my mind. Why did I get a beta exam anyway? Why did they charge me for it? What the hell just happened to me?

    I decided to confront the Microsoft's MCP department and Pearson VUE but I had to wait until the next day because their offices were closed.

    The next morning I called 1-800-636-7544, the MCP Program Info line. I told the guy my story and he listened respectfully and talked to his manager a couple of times as I told him my story. He asked me if the questions were appropriate to the test, and wether or not I thought any of the questions were too hard. I answered his question and consulted his manager again. He told me that there was nothing he could do, that they would investigate the incident, but that I was pretty much on my own because the test that I had taken was the right test. He told me that they offer three different tests. A 'standard' test. A 'long' test. And an 'adaptive' test. He told me that the test itself would have anywhere from 30 to 70 questions. That was not what I expected to hear. I asked him if it was standard practive to give regular MCP candidates beta questions and he conceeded that it was not. Armed with the information I decided to confront VUE next.

    I called VUE and the guy was pretty attentive and receptive to my situation. That's one thing I can say both the Microsoft guy and the Pearson VUE guy were very good at handing the situation. I've been on the other end of the Customer Support line and I know how hard it can be to handle irate customers. And I was irate. After I expained the situation to the VUE customer support representative, he informed me that he was going to pass the information to his manger for her review. He said that he was going to recommend that I get to take the test again for free. He told me that they were going to pull my test and review it and that I would be called back within a week. Now I wait.

    After I hung up I reviewed my exam report. I compared it with my previous exam report and I noticed something else that shocked me. The objectives were different on each report. Both reports had the objectives:

    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining IP Addressing

    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolutions

    Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Network Security

    Maintaining a Network Infrastructure

    The 35 question version had Implementing, Managing, and Maitaning Routing and Remote Access, and the 55 question version had Managing and Maintaining Physical and Logical Devices.

    So what was going on? Had the Microsoft objectives changed in the last two weeks. And if so, why did my books not list the 'Managing and Maintaining Physical and Logical Devices' objective and why had Microsoft not updated it website?

    Obviously, I had been screwed of my time and my money. If it wasn't for the fact that 50% of the sys admin out there wont even look at your resume without MCSE certification and that I need to find a good job soon, I would give up on this quest for MCSE certs.

    And so now I wait patiently, but still angry. I don't expect to hear back from Microsoft but I will keep on Pearson VUE so that the very least they let me take the test again soon. Hopefully they can get it right next time.

    =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=, Jul 28, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    ANdyM Guest

    F'kin hell... let it all out, why don't ya?

    There are professionals who will listen to you and offer
    you advice on how to improve your situation... I suggest
    you seek one out. -You'll find them in your yellow pages
    under "Therapists" or "Mental Health Professionals".

    ANdyM, Jul 28, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    kpg Guest

    <snip>

    That is a sad story, but if you had passed your first test...

    kpg, Jul 28, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Brat® Guest

    old exam vs new exam... to sum it up... you had 2 different exam version at
    different times... hence the changes... it happens from time to time and
    there is nothing you can do about it... MS does not advertise how many
    questions you will "absolutely" be asked... as for Beta... you got beta
    questions not a beta exam... there are a few thrown in and are "supposedly"
    bordered in blue to show the difference... sorry to say... but it appears
    that you will probably have to re-take and re-pay for the exam... but if VUE
    is going to be nice... go with it but I would not count on it

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    Proud member since April 8, 2002

    Brat®, Jul 28, 2004
  5. "Iram Hernandez" <Iram > wrote in message
> [...]

    and Remote Access, and the 55 question version had Managing and Maintaining
    Physical and Logical Devices.

    > So what was going on? Had the Microsoft objectives changed in the last

    two weeks. And if so, why did my books not list the 'Managing and
    Maintaining Physical and Logical Devices' objective and why had Microsoft
    not updated it website?

    > Obviously, I had been screwed of my time and my money. If it wasn't for

    the fact that 50% of the sys admin out there wont even look at your resume
    without MCSE certification and that I need to find a good job soon, I would
    give up on this quest for MCSE certs.

    > And so now I wait patiently, but still angry. I don't expect to hear back

    from Microsoft but I will keep on Pearson VUE so that the very least they
    let me take the test again soon. Hopefully they can get it right next time.

    Iram,

    I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the exam. I'm glad you
    called VUE to let them know. I have confirmed the mis-labeled section, and
    it is just that -- a mis-labeling. The content of exam 70-291 did not change
    and I'm confident that you received questions on Routing and Remote Access
    and none on Logical Devices.

    I have asked VUE to republish the exam with the correct section labels.

    For future reference, the first screen of the exam tells you exactly how
    many questions are on the exam and how much time will be allotted. Having
    just taken the exam a week prior, I'm sure you weren't expecting there to be
    a change in the number of questions, but there was. We continually add new
    content to our exams
    so you can never be sure from week to week if the number of questions has
    changed or not. We always add additional time, though, if we have added
    additional questions.

    I would also like to clarify a few things the MCP representative told you.
    It sounds like he told you there were three types of exams for 70-291. That
    is not correct. On any given day, all candidates get the exact same format
    of the exam, not the same questions, but the same format. Our exams do vary
    in length between 30 and 70 questions, but all of the 70-291 exams offered
    today are 55 questions long. This will change as we add and delete content
    to keep the exam current.

    Also, it is common pratice to give MCP candidates beta questions. We have
    done this for years. This is how we test new questions that we want to add
    to the exam pool. This is a very common practice throughout the testing
    industry.

    --
    Alice Ciccu
    Assessments and Certification Exams

    "This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights."

    Alice Ciccu \(MS\), Jul 30, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Alice Ciccu \(MS\)"
    <> spewed in

    > --
    > Alice Ciccu
    > Assessments and Certification Exams
    > Microsoft Learning

    well, I'll be...they do look in here from time to time...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Jul 30, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Carrot Guest

    Hi Iram,

    I got the exactly same experience as you! Suddenly number of questions
    changed from 35 to 50 and contain beta question too. Yes, and the objective
    were different too! Of course, I failed it. I wasn't expecting for such a
    long test with new objective & beta question etc...

    I couldn't be bother to complain, I knew they wouldn't help.

    Hopefully I will pass next time, since they could change whatever they like
    anytime. Now I don't feel confident at all :(

    Cheers,
    Lily

    Carrot, Aug 20, 2004
  8. >I couldn't be bother to complain, I knew they wouldn't help.

    you should read the small print before you sign up to anything...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 20, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Carrot Guest

    So, you mean I should give up the exam right? Or else I have to agree to
    Microsoft to change the exam layout, topics anytime, even a full day exam or
    1000s question.

    Carrot, Aug 22, 2004
  10. >So, you mean I should give up the exam right?

    not what I said.

    > Or else I have to agree to
    >Microsoft to change the exam layout, topics anytime, even a full day exam or
    >1000s question.

    yes, hence why I said 'read the small print'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Aug 22, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    well this might be judgemental of me - god forbid that. but are you guys
    sure you didn't study using dumps? memorizing questions and answers..

    if you studied to "understand" what is actually being tested, there
    really isn't any way they can word a question that will throw you off.
    sure, there will always be badly written/worded questions (i have seen
    tholse in pretty much every single exam be all the cert. vendors) that
    seem out of this world. but even those "bad" questions aren't going to be
    very many of them. they should not effect the overall outcome of if you
    pass or fail.

    fyi - having more questions is a good thing. it gives you a better change
    of passing.

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://rowdy_yates2.tripod.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 22, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=" <Iram

    > I showed up at this Pearson VUE testing center and the staff was
    > pretty confused. Aparently the are a 'career training' center and are
    > not used to people just studying at home and taking the tests instead
    > of giving them thousands of dollars for training.

    not true. many people use self study at home an take the tests. the test
    center couln't care less.

    > After they finally
    > figure it out they take me to testing room with about twelve stations
    > and nobody else taking tests besides me and they sit me in front of a
    > computer. Except that it doesn't work. After trying all the
    > workstations the test 'proctor' gets one of the tech support guys to
    > jump start one of the computers and I am left in the room by myself to
    > take the test.

    so what. it a network and they had network problems. happens all the time.
    if you don't like the location of the staff or the equipment, you can go
    somewhere else. there are tons of locations.

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 22, 2004
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    :

    > I'm so angry right now about stupid MCSE certifications...

    <rest of junk snipped>

    obviously you have other issues than M$ and how they do their testing. I
    will bet $5 that you probably approached other similar situations (high
    school, univewrsity, driver license) where you were tested on what you
    claimed that you knew and failed - you decide to blame and attack the
    system - instead of focusing on the real problem --> YOU!!

    700/1000 is a very low pass mark! from memory, most M$ exams, i would say
    50% of the questions are dead give away easies. 25% require that you
    actually think a bit. and the remaining 25% may be classified as difficult.

    Rowdy Yates, Aug 22, 2004
  14. Hi Rowdy,

    Seeing a lot of feedback from you on the certification sites....

    I wonder if the Boson certification practice tests are any good?

    I tried the 70-291 demo with 12 questions, and they seem such outrageous
    questions. Are they trying to scare us into thinking that the exam is so
    hard that we should buy their practice tests?

    Gordon J. Rattray

    (studying on 70-291)

    Gordon J. Rattray, Sep 4, 2004
  15. "Gordon J. Rattray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rowdy,
    >
    > Seeing a lot of feedback from you on the certification sites....
    >
    > I wonder if the Boson certification practice tests are any good?
    >
    > I tried the 70-291 demo with 12 questions, and they seem such outrageous
    > questions. Are they trying to scare us into thinking that the exam is so
    > hard that we should buy their practice tests?
    >
    > Gordon J. Rattray
    >
    > (studying on 70-291)

    Gordon,

    Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Boson certification
    practice tests. I have never looked at them. I can tell you that Microsoft
    only recommends Self-Test Software or Measure Up! practice tests.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    Alice Ciccu \(MS\), Sep 6, 2004
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    > "Gordon J. Rattray" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Rowdy,
    >>
    >> Seeing a lot of feedback from you on the certification sites....
    >>
    >> I wonder if the Boson certification practice tests are any good?
    >>
    >> I tried the 70-291 demo with 12 questions, and they seem such
    >> outrageous questions. Are they trying to scare us into thinking that
    >> the exam is so hard that we should buy their practice tests?
    >>
    >> Gordon J. Rattray
    >>
    >> (studying on 70-291)

    > Gordon,
    >
    > Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Boson certification
    > practice tests. I have never looked at them. I can tell you that
    > Microsoft only recommends Self-Test Software or Measure Up! practice
    > tests.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    Boson's main area of expertise is on Cisco IIRC, and I also am not
    familiar with thier MS practice tests.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, Sep 6, 2004