70-291 Prep Suggestions

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by That Guy, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. That Guy

    That Guy Guest

    I am preparing for the 70-291. I have been using a CBT which is pretty good
    but I would like to supplement it. I have some hands on experience.Anyone who
    has taken and passed the 70-291 please give me some advice on how you
    prepared.
    --
    A+,Network+,MCP
     
    That Guy, Jul 19, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I read the MSPress book fully, taking notes on anything that was new, and I
    also watched the CBTNuggets video series for 291, again taking notes.
    Anything that I felt I needed to do hands-on, I used VMWare to practice.

    I thought that 291 was difficult, but that was just me =)

    --
    Mostly Gizzards

    A+ Network+ MCSE 2003


    "That Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am preparing for the 70-291. I have been using a CBT which is pretty good
    > but I would like to supplement it. I have some hands on experience.Anyone
    > who
    > has taken and passed the 70-291 please give me some advice on how you
    > prepared.
    > --
    > A+,Network+,MCP
     
    Mostly Gizzards, Jul 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi That Guy,

    Though I ended up writing the upgrade exam rather than the 70-291 I am in a
    pretty good place to answer. I am currently running a study group for that
    exam after a successful group for 70-290.

    We are following the MS Press book which is great, but have made it clear to
    all of our participants that they should also be installing the software,
    doing all of the exercises, and taking notes along the way.

    If you think you are most of the way there, a good refresher/review is the
    Exam Cram book - little red book which will cover a lot of the necessary
    material.

    Good luck and let us know how you do!

    M
    --
    MDG, MCSA
    MCSA (2003), MCSA (2000)
    Certified Small Business Specialist
    Visit my blog at www.mitpro.ca/Blogs/tabid/55/BlogID/2/Default.aspx


    "That Guy" wrote:

    > I am preparing for the 70-291. I have been using a CBT which is pretty good
    > but I would like to supplement it. I have some hands on experience.Anyone who
    > has taken and passed the 70-291 please give me some advice on how you
    > prepared.
    > --
    > A+,Network+,MCP
     
    Montreal MCSA, Jul 20, 2006
    #3
  4. That Guy

    AJR Guest

    Suggest you consider the following two text:

    1. Windows Server 2003 - Administrator's Pocket Consultant -Microsoft Press
    2. Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Study Guide - Sybex.

    I spent a lot of time in Barnes and Noble book store reviewing and
    eventually buying several to prepare for the exams. I rate the above two as
    the best resources.
    The Pocket Consultant is not a study guide but an
    excellent "cookbook" of server 2003. The Sybex is a study guide with a CD
    that includes "simulations" - great for the 70-291 exam.

    "That Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am preparing for the 70-291. I have been using a CBT which is pretty good
    > but I would like to supplement it. I have some hands on experience.Anyone
    > who
    > has taken and passed the 70-291 please give me some advice on how you
    > prepared.
    > --
    > A+,Network+,MCP
     
    AJR, Jul 20, 2006
    #4
  5. That Guy

    That Guy Guest

    Thanks for the input guys. I have Barns& Noble on my speed dial. I will check
    out those books.
    --
    A+,Network+,MCP


    "AJR" wrote:

    > Suggest you consider the following two text:
    >
    > 1. Windows Server 2003 - Administrator's Pocket Consultant -Microsoft Press
    > 2. Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Study Guide - Sybex.
    >
    > I spent a lot of time in Barnes and Noble book store reviewing and
    > eventually buying several to prepare for the exams. I rate the above two as
    > the best resources.
    > The Pocket Consultant is not a study guide but an
    > excellent "cookbook" of server 2003. The Sybex is a study guide with a CD
    > that includes "simulations" - great for the 70-291 exam.
    >
    > "That Guy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I am preparing for the 70-291. I have been using a CBT which is pretty good
    > > but I would like to supplement it. I have some hands on experience.Anyone
    > > who
    > > has taken and passed the 70-291 please give me some advice on how you
    > > prepared.
    > > --
    > > A+,Network+,MCP

    >
    >
    >
     
    That Guy, Jul 20, 2006
    #5
  6. That Guy

    Garth H Guest

    This isn't my next test, but like everyone else here I'm going to have
    to take it eventually.

    From what I've read here over the past year, I get the distinct
    impression that 291 isn't just about being adept at the skills measured,
    but knowing the Microsoft way of doing them.

    Just like it is very unlikely that any of us would use the built in
    software RAID, it is equally unlikely that any of us would implement a
    100% Microsoft network. For the purpose of the exam, one must set aside
    what they would do in a typical production environment and think the
    Redmond way.

    Oh yeah. I've found that having flash cards on my pocket PC phone helped
    a LOT on 70-270. I didn't have to make my own for that exam, but will
    likely have to do so for the rest of them. You can learn a lot just by
    writing down the questions and answers.

    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer
     
    Garth H, Jul 21, 2006
    #6
  7. That Guy

    That Guy Guest

    So Garth H, are you saying that when you do practice exams you rewrite the
    questions and the answers? Who are you using for practice exams? I hear Exam
    Cram is pretty good. Thanks for the feed back.
    --
    A+,Network+,MCP


    "Garth H" wrote:

    > This isn't my next test, but like everyone else here I'm going to have
    > to take it eventually.
    >
    > From what I've read here over the past year, I get the distinct
    > impression that 291 isn't just about being adept at the skills measured,
    > but knowing the Microsoft way of doing them.
    >
    > Just like it is very unlikely that any of us would use the built in
    > software RAID, it is equally unlikely that any of us would implement a
    > 100% Microsoft network. For the purpose of the exam, one must set aside
    > what they would do in a typical production environment and think the
    > Redmond way.
    >
    > Oh yeah. I've found that having flash cards on my pocket PC phone helped
    > a LOT on 70-270. I didn't have to make my own for that exam, but will
    > likely have to do so for the rest of them. You can learn a lot just by
    > writing down the questions and answers.
    >
    > --
    > Garth H
    >
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Macromedia Certified Developer
    >
     
    That Guy, Jul 21, 2006
    #7
  8. That Guy

    Garth H Guest

    Well for 70-270 I had an exam cram book that came with Macromedia Flash
    based flash cards that were usable on my pocket pc. It helped a LOT, so
    if I can't find a pre-made set, I'll just make my own based on the
    Transcenders flashcards that came with the MCSA bundle I bought.

    You can't really go into theory or questions with long answers, but you
    can use them to quiz yourself on command line syntax & switches or
    true/false type questions.

    It's not a replacement for dedicated study or hands on labs, but running
    through some flashcards while waiting at the doctor's office, dmv or the
    like does help.

    If you can't find cards and have to make your own, all the better as
    writing every question and answer is just another learning method.

    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer
     
    Garth H, Jul 24, 2006
    #8
  9. That Guy

    That Guy Guest

    Thanks Garth H. I have been reading the "Windows Server 2003 Administrator's
    Pocket Consultant" to prepare as well as doing the CBT and playing around
    with everything on my home network. A lot of what's in the book is covered in
    the CBT but for some reason the book gives me more security. Reading the
    information and then going through the process seems to work best for me. I
    will see how much of it sticks or how well that technique works on test day.
    Thanks again.
    --
    A+,Network+,MCP


    "Garth H" wrote:

    > Well for 70-270 I had an exam cram book that came with Macromedia Flash
    > based flash cards that were usable on my pocket pc. It helped a LOT, so
    > if I can't find a pre-made set, I'll just make my own based on the
    > Transcenders flashcards that came with the MCSA bundle I bought.
    >
    > You can't really go into theory or questions with long answers, but you
    > can use them to quiz yourself on command line syntax & switches or
    > true/false type questions.
    >
    > It's not a replacement for dedicated study or hands on labs, but running
    > through some flashcards while waiting at the doctor's office, dmv or the
    > like does help.
    >
    > If you can't find cards and have to make your own, all the better as
    > writing every question and answer is just another learning method.
    >
    > --
    > Garth H
    >
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Macromedia Certified Developer
    >
     
    That Guy, Jul 25, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Harvey Rothenberg

    Suggestions for Best Security+ Prep Book 2003

    Harvey Rothenberg, Aug 14, 2003, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,594
    NetEng
    Aug 15, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

    Best Way to Prep for 291

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=, Sep 30, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    493
    Douglas Davenport
    Oct 4, 2006
  3. zenman1661

    291 test prep questions

    zenman1661, Feb 26, 2005, in forum: MCSA
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    323
    catwalker63
    Feb 28, 2005
  4. FinalHokage

    70-291 harder than 70-291

    FinalHokage, Feb 7, 2006, in forum: MCSA
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    515
    Paul UK
    Apr 11, 2006
  5. STFW

    70-291 prep. IPSec, WINS?

    STFW, Oct 31, 2007, in forum: MCSA
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    648
    Andrew
    Nov 13, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page