70-291 exam.... blown away

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by JohnB, Dec 17, 2008.

  1. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    I sat the 70-291 today and was totally blown out of the water. I got a 466.
    I'm not posting here to whine about how badly I did or to look for someone
    else that failed to commiserate with.

    I have some comments on how I prepared for this test and, some questions on
    how you prepared for this test and Microsoft tests in general.

    I prepared by buying and reading the MS Press book for 70-291 and, I also
    purchased a practice exam from Kaplan IT. That is a parent company that
    sells tests under the name Self Test Software. They began as a company that
    was a provider of online training for MS tests, and then apparently added to
    that the tests for MS exams. They bought out Transcendar about 2 years
    ago... and their tests look exactly like Transcendar tests. I chose the
    Self Test Software exams because they were a little less expensive than the
    Transcendar exams.

    Like I said, I prepared by reading the book.... and then taking the practice
    tests. After I read the book, I took practice tests over the following 3
    weeks. To better understand the questions, I went back and re-read relevant
    parts of the book and, went through a lot of the Server help files. During
    the last 2-3 days, I was getting scores of 95 or better on the practice
    exams. Honestly... I felt like I had learned a lot, from the combined book
    and test exercises.

    Going to sit the exam today, I actually felt confident about passing.
    Without turning this post into a novel... I could tell within the first 12
    or so questions that the practice tests didn't cover a LOT of material that
    was in the real test.

    So my natural reaction is; what do I do now to prepare for a re-take. I have
    the voucher for the free 2nd shot. But what do I do to prepare. I have
    seen posts on here from people that say they don't use practice tests. I
    don't know how you do it. I think they're a valid and useful tool. When
    you're in school.... you don't to through the school year with no "quizzes"
    to prepare you for the final. Someone has figured that out.... you need to
    test and re-enforce your learned knowledge along the way.

    Finally.... I'm getting to my Questions; how did you prepare?
    Have you used Kaplan IT tests?
    Have you used Transcendars?
    What was your results with those?
    Have you passed with either and *not* used brain dumps??

    TIA
    JohnB, Dec 17, 2008

  2. JohnB

    John R Guest

    "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    >I sat the 70-291 today and was totally blown out of the water. I got a
    >466.
    > I'm not posting here to whine about how badly I did or to look for someone
    > else that failed to commiserate with.
    >
    > I have some comments on how I prepared for this test and, some questions
    > on how you prepared for this test and Microsoft tests in general.
    >
    > I prepared by buying and reading the MS Press book for 70-291 and, I also
    > purchased a practice exam from Kaplan IT. That is a parent company that
    > sells tests under the name Self Test Software. They began as a company
    > that was a provider of online training for MS tests, and then apparently
    > added to that the tests for MS exams. They bought out Transcendar about 2
    > years ago... and their tests look exactly like Transcendar tests. I chose
    > the Self Test Software exams because they were a little less expensive
    > than the Transcendar exams.
    >
    > Like I said, I prepared by reading the book.... and then taking the
    > practice tests. After I read the book, I took practice tests over the
    > following 3 weeks. To better understand the questions, I went back and
    > re-read relevant parts of the book and, went through a lot of the Server
    > help files. During the last 2-3 days, I was getting scores of 95 or
    > better on the practice exams. Honestly... I felt like I had learned a
    > lot, from the combined book and test exercises.
    >
    > Going to sit the exam today, I actually felt confident about passing.
    > Without turning this post into a novel... I could tell within the first 12
    > or so questions that the practice tests didn't cover a LOT of material
    > that was in the real test.
    >
    > So my natural reaction is; what do I do now to prepare for a re-take. I
    > have the voucher for the free 2nd shot. But what do I do to prepare. I
    > have seen posts on here from people that say they don't use practice
    > tests. I don't know how you do it. I think they're a valid and useful
    > tool. When you're in school.... you don't to through the school year with
    > no "quizzes" to prepare you for the final. Someone has figured that
    > out.... you need to test and re-enforce your learned knowledge along the
    > way.
    >
    > Finally.... I'm getting to my Questions; how did you prepare?
    > Have you used Kaplan IT tests?
    > Have you used Transcendars?
    > What was your results with those?
    > Have you passed with either and *not* used brain dumps??

    70-291 is considered by many to be "The Beast". It certainly covers a lot
    of material, and it stresses your test taking ability to the limit.
    However, there are many people out there, and certainly quite a few around
    here that passed it on the first attempt with very good scores.

    First off, you should not have been suprised about any of the material. The
    exam objectives are clearly stated here...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-291.mspx
    If you can look at each objective and tell yourself that you are totally
    confident in each area and that you know it inside and out, there should be
    nothing on the test that you don't expect. No single training source is
    going to cover every objective 100%. This should have been obvious to you
    in the practice tests that came with the 70-291 book.

    The thing about certifications is that they are designed (IMHO) to test your
    experience, not necessarily your book smarts. I used the MSPRESS book which
    came with self-test software, and a home lab. However, I had been a system
    admin for a long long time for both a single location company, and a company
    with multiple locations. The book helped fill-in the gaps for some things
    like RRAS (since we use Cisco VPN) that I didn't really have a lot of
    experience with.

    If you are not curently performing administrative duties, or if you are only
    doing a small sub-set of those duties (such as working a helpdesk level 1),
    you really will need to put in the time on your own in a home lab. Put up a
    server and a couple clients at home (Virtual PC can help here with costs).
    Work through all the labs in the book. Make up your own scenarios and try
    to implement them. Document all your findings, then go back into the book
    and try to support your findings.

    The thing about the self test software is that it should never be used until
    you think you are ready for the exam, and then only once or twice. I don't
    care if there are 500 questions in the software, if you take the test over
    and over at some point you will recognize questions you had before, and that
    will artifically inflate your score. Whenever you use the software at all,
    read all of the answer possibilities and explain to yourself why the wrong
    answers are wrong.

    Finally, stay away from the dumps. While they may help you pass this test
    (through memorization), they will get all of your current and future
    Microsoft certifications revoked. That would look really great to your
    employer when that happens. Plus, do you really want to question yourself
    for the rest of your life knowing that you cheated to get your
    certification, and are you really as good as you represent yourself to be?
    If you are the type of person with a conscience, those things will come to
    bother you eventually.

    Good luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Dec 18, 2008

  3. JohnB

    sql_noob Guest

    On Dec 18, 8:56 am, "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:
> [...]

    > care if there are 500 questions in the software, if you take the test over
    > and over at some point you will recognize questions you had before, and that
    > will artifically inflate your score.  Whenever you use the software at all,
    > read all of the answer possibilities and explain to yourself why the wrong
    > answers are wrong.
    >
    > Finally, stay away from the dumps.  While they may help you pass this test
    > (through memorization), they will get all of your current and future
    > Microsoft certifications revoked.  That would look really great to your
    > employer when that happens.  Plus, do you really want to question yourself
    > for the rest of your life knowing that you cheated to get your
    > certification, and are you really as good as you represent yourself to be?
    > If you are the type of person with a conscience, those things will come to

    back when i first started i was a helpdesk guy and spent 6 months
    studying and taking practice tests for the NT4 MCSE. passed it and
    that was my ticket
    sql_noob, Dec 18, 2008
  4. JohnB

    Toso Contoso Guest

    "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    >I sat the 70-291 today and was totally blown out of the water. I got a
    >466.
    > I'm not posting here to whine about how badly I did or to look for someone
    > else that failed to commiserate with.
    >
    > I have some comments on how I prepared for this test and, some questions
    > on how you prepared for this test and Microsoft tests in general.
    >
    > I prepared by buying and reading the MS Press book for 70-291 and, I also
    > purchased a practice exam from Kaplan IT. That is a parent company that
    > sells tests under the name Self Test Software. They began as a company
    > that was a provider of online training for MS tests, and then apparently
    > added to that the tests for MS exams. They bought out Transcendar about 2
    > years ago... and their tests look exactly like Transcendar tests. I chose
    > the Self Test Software exams because they were a little less expensive
    > than the Transcendar exams.
    >
    > Like I said, I prepared by reading the book.... and then taking the
    > practice tests. After I read the book, I took practice tests over the
    > following 3 weeks. To better understand the questions, I went back and
    > re-read relevant parts of the book and, went through a lot of the Server
    > help files. During the last 2-3 days, I was getting scores of 95 or
    > better on the practice exams. Honestly... I felt like I had learned a
    > lot, from the combined book and test exercises.
    >
    > Going to sit the exam today, I actually felt confident about passing.
    > Without turning this post into a novel... I could tell within the first 12
    > or so questions that the practice tests didn't cover a LOT of material
    > that was in the real test.
    >
    > So my natural reaction is; what do I do now to prepare for a re-take. I
    > have the voucher for the free 2nd shot. But what do I do to prepare. I
    > have seen posts on here from people that say they don't use practice
    > tests. I don't know how you do it. I think they're a valid and useful
    > tool. When you're in school.... you don't to through the school year with
    > no "quizzes" to prepare you for the final. Someone has figured that
    > out.... you need to test and re-enforce your learned knowledge along the
    > way.
    >
    > Finally.... I'm getting to my Questions; how did you prepare?
    > Have you used Kaplan IT tests?
    > Have you used Transcendars?
    > What was your results with those?
    > Have you passed with either and *not* used brain dumps??
    >
    > TIA

    I read always the same book. the first time i score 640 the second 935, I
    think i had a lot of luck, i was sure i passed but i thought 800-850 not
    more.
    i passed 271 with 810 .
    Studing is not enough, you mast fill sure of all settings, and what they
    mean.
    I don't know how to help you, bat all i thing i can say is that you don't
    have anough experience on networking.
    with selftest like Transcender, i did 80-85% never more, and somethimes i
    knew the answers because i had already taken the exam.
    In my experience i did so good because i remembered the questions in the
    first exam, and the second time they were the same... and i wrote it at hte
    end, it's normal, if you take twice the same question, between them you
    study what was in the exam. in my opinion DNS and WSUS is much important
    then the rest,
    nite. toso
    Toso Contoso, Dec 18, 2008
  5. JohnB

    catwalker63 Guest

    "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> prattled ceaselessly in

    > "JohnB" <> wrote in message
    >>I sat the 70-291 today and was totally blown out of the water. I got
    >>a 466.
    >> I'm not posting here to whine about how badly I did or to look for
    >> someone else that failed to commiserate with.
    >>
    >> I have some comments on how I prepared for this test and, some
    >> questions on how you prepared for this test and Microsoft tests in
    >> general.

    <snip>

    I have to agree with John R. This is a practical exam so you need to put
    in the majority of your time practicing the objectives. I totally agree
    with John R on the placement and use of practice exams. I take it once
    to figure out if I'm ready to book the exam. Then, once the exam is
    booked, I take a couple more to get into the zone the day before the
    exam. The rest of my time is spent reading and doing. Use the book,
    read the recommended online content, dig into technet and the KB, and
    setup a lab where you can do all the stuff being asked in the objectives.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Dec 19, 2008
  6. JohnB

    Hairball56 Guest

    I'm studying the book and CBT nuggest AND Testout.....between the 3 and doing
    labs and hands-on (when I can at work), I feel more confident abotu taking it
    down the road myself. Don't limit yourself to just one or two means of study
    and yeah, avoid the "dumps" like the plague, our Certs are hard-earned and
    well satisfying when earned properly.
    --
    ~~MCP~~MCDST~~A+~~Network+~~MCITP:Enterprise Support Tech~~Working on MCSA~~

    Hairball56, Jan 7, 2009
  7. JohnB

    LMC Guest

    The 70-291 is a bit of an ass-kicker. Yes, let's see, what did I score, oh
    yea, how could I forget ... 730. By the hair of my chinny chin chin.

    Yes, continue to study but most importantly invest in a cheezy dual core,
    4GB with about a TByte of disk. Install VMware server and start building the
    various servers and get freaky with DNS and the rest of the 291 ... STUFF.
    Enjoy and good luck.

    Regards from the Midwest ...

    LMC, Jan 20, 2009
  8. JohnB

    BRTiger Guest

    Yep the 70-291 is really tuff.

    I used transcender 70-291, MS IT Academy 70-291 book and workbook/Labs, Exam
    Cram book for more references and I used alot of old equipment to setup a
    real network. Then I ran the labs from MS lab book, it took me about 5
    months to just get things setup and ready for work. I was almost tricked on
    several questions on the test. Transcender helps in analysing the question
    and then picking the best fit answer. In my opinion, it has the best concept
    explaination and application test out there.

    DO NOT GIVE UP!

    All that is worthwhile requires struggle and effort.

    good luck on the next try.
    --
    BRTiger
    MCP Srvr2003 70-290 Oct08, 70-291 Jan09