    am wary on the 291. I have used Cisco switches/routers/firewalls and really
    don't have experience using RRAS for the same functionality. How much will
    this affect my MS test? Tks!
    CBarks, Mar 18, 2008

  2. CBarks

    PAJ Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:38:01 -0700, CBarks
    <> wrote:

    >i just recently passed my 70-290 with relative ease. I am planning on taking
    >the 70-291 next. I am a NW Admin with 5 yrs experience in Server 03, but I
    >am wary on the 291. I have used Cisco switches/routers/firewalls and really
    >don't have experience using RRAS for the same functionality. How much will
    >this affect my MS test? Tks!

    70-290 is relatively easy.
    70-291 is bleedin difficult in comparison, you are right to be wary.
    I would review the objectives and study them well.
    PAJ, Mar 18, 2008

  3. CBarks

    John R Guest

    "CBarks" <> wrote in message
    >i just recently passed my 70-290 with relative ease. I am planning on
    >taking
    > the 70-291 next. I am a NW Admin with 5 yrs experience in Server 03, but
    > am wary on the 291. I have used Cisco switches/routers/firewalls and
    > really
    > don't have experience using RRAS for the same functionality. How much
    > will
    > this affect my MS test? Tks!

    70-291 has been discussed here quite often. Yes, a lot of people have
    difficulty with it, but I think just as many don't . It's all about
    infrastructure, DNS, DHCP, WINS. RRAS, etc. As with anything, if you are
    strong in these areas, then you won't have too much trouble, and visa-versa.
    Personally, I didn't have any trouble with it at all, but I had been a
    system admin for years and those were my areas of responsibility, so I
    worked with them daily, and knew a lot of the configuration issues off the
    top of my head. I had to brush up on RRAS because we use Cisco VPN
    concentrators, not RRAS where I work.

    Make sure you study the objectives carefully. Understand how they work
    together, and be as familiar as you can with all of the options for
    configuration and you'll do fine.

    Good luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Mar 18, 2008
  4. CBarks

    Dude Guest

    Make sure you read about Microsoft's 'new features' of DNS. Microsoft has
    some proprietary features of DNS that Novell and Cisco don't use. You'll
    probably see some questions about WINS. RRAS and WSUS were in the exam
    objectives too, and I remember lots of DHCP questions. Besides the Microsoft
    specific stuff, you should do fine. Here's a rule of thumb for this exam.
    Instead of using routers, Microsoft likes to use Servers instead. Here's
    another rule of thumb. If you don't know the answer to a question, a good
    guess is always the choice that requires the most expensive licensing from
    Microsoft. Good luck!

    Dude, Mar 26, 2008
  5. CBarks

    kemp Guest

    Hello Dude,

    > If you don't know the answer to a question, a good guess is always the
    > choice that requires the most expensive licensing from Microsoft.

    Hahah, interesting perspectiv
    kemp, Mar 27, 2008
  6. CBarks

    John R Guest

    "kemp" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Dude,
    >
    >> If you don't know the answer to a question, a good guess is always the
    >> choice that requires the most expensive licensing from Microsoft.
    >>

    > Hahah, interesting perspective

    Well, it is a "Microsoft" test for a "Microsoft Certification". Very few
    questions are going to have options like "Install the Cisco VPN client", or
    "Purchase a Linksys Router", or "Use Symantec Backup Exec".

    Although, if the question involves a faulty mouse driver that has disabled
    your mouse, you can bet the answer will be something like "Right click on
    'My Computer', click on properties, click on...." :)

    John R
    John R, Mar 27, 2008
  7. CBarks

    JaR Guest

    On 3/27/2008,catwalker63 had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> prattled ceaselessly in
    >

    > > Although, if the question involves a faulty mouse driver that has
    > > disabled your mouse, you can bet the answer will be something like
    > > "Right click on 'My Computer', click on properties, click on...."
    > > :)
    > >
    > > John R
    > >

    > If you're a hair stylist calling in for tech support on your POS
    > software and you are asked to unplug the mouse and plug it back in,
    > what do you do?
    >
    > a) Turn off the modem?
    > b) Put the tech on hold and then hang up?
    > c) All of the above

    You forgot: 3) Break down in tears because: "this computer stuff is
    just so haaaaarrd!"

    --
    JaR
    or g) complain to the manager