    comfortable, but scored in the mid 800s. Next is the 70-291. I've been
    reading the 291 is significantly more difficult. Can someone tell me why, is
    it the subnetting or other topics?

    =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=, Nov 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    TheITGirl Guest

    "pete0085" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Passed the 70-290 and got my first exam out of the way. I admit I wasn't
    > comfortable, but scored in the mid 800s. Next is the 70-291. I've been
    > reading the 291 is significantly more difficult. Can someone tell me why,
    > is
    > it the subnetting or other topics?

    Well done, Pete. I just got my 70-270 and am about to start on the 290.
    I've heard the 291 is more difficult, but I've not even taken a look at any
    course materials.

    I did do a Cisco Academy course as part of my degree though, and enjoyed the
    subnetting bits. It's just mental arithmetic, really. You just need to
    know your powers of 2 and be able to quickly convert blocks of eight digits
    from binary to denary and vice-versa.

    Good luck!

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Subnetting was never my strong suite in my Cisco courses. That was my least
    favorite. Part of the reasons I stayed away from the CCNA :p

    I am fairly decent at converting a number into binary and vice versa, but
    when it comes to a question like..."you have x number of hosts on a /28
    subnet with x departments.. what is the first usable and gateway from x and
    x.."

    You get the idea, I have struggeld with that.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=, Nov 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    TheITGirl Guest

    "pete0085" <> wrote in message
    > Subnetting was never my strong suite in my Cisco courses. That was my
    > least
    > favorite. Part of the reasons I stayed away from the CCNA :p
    >
    > I am fairly decent at converting a number into binary and vice versa, but
    > when it comes to a question like..."you have x number of hosts on a /28
    > subnet with x departments.. what is the first usable and gateway from x
    > and
    > x.."
    >
    > You get the idea, I have struggeld with that.

    If you have a /28 subnet mask, then you're borrowing 4 bits from the host
    part of the address and putting them in the network part of the address.
    What this means is that, in the last octet of the IP address, the first four
    binary digits must be the same for each subnet.

    So, for example, 200.100.1.0/28 and 200.110.1.15/28 are on the same subnet,
    because the first four binary digits of the last octet 0000. Don't forget
    the first address is the network address and isn't usable, and the last
    address (200.110.1.15) is the broadcast address because the network part of
    the address is all 1s.

    The addresses 200.100.1.16 to 200.110.1.31 would be on the next subnet (the
    first four digits of the last octet being 0001). Because 200.100.1.16 is the
    network address, the gateway address would be 200.100.1.17. Addresses
    200.100.1.18 to 200.100.1.30 could be assigned to hosts and 200.100.1.31
    would be the broadcast address.

    Does this help?

    IT Girl MCDST

    192.168.1.

    TheITGirl, Nov 14, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    "TheITGirl" <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > I did do a Cisco Academy course as part of my degree though, and
    > enjoyed the subnetting bits. It's just mental arithmetic, really.
    > You just need to know your powers of 2 and be able to quickly convert
    > blocks of eight digits from binary to denary and vice-versa.

    I used to like you. :p

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Nov 15, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    Briscobar Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > "TheITGirl" <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >

    >> I did do a Cisco Academy course as part of my degree though, and
    >> enjoyed the subnetting bits. It's just mental arithmetic, really.
    >> You just need to know your powers of 2 and be able to quickly convert
    >> blocks of eight digits from binary to denary and vice-versa.
    >>

    > I used to like you. :p

    You used what to like her?

    Briscobar, Nov 15, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Briscobar" <> prattled ceaselessly in

    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    >> "TheITGirl" <> prattled ceaselessly in
    >>

    >>> I did do a Cisco Academy course as part of my degree though, and
    >>> enjoyed the subnetting bits. It's just mental arithmetic, really.
    >>> You just need to know your powers of 2 and be able to quickly convert
    >>> blocks of eight digits from binary to denary and vice-versa.
    >>>

    >> I used to like you. :p

    > You used what to like her?

    Boys. <sigh>

    Hey, look over there:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/9c89/?cpg=61H

    catwalker63, Nov 15, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear catwalker63 <> say in

    > Boys. <sigh>
    >
    > Hey, look over there:
    >
    > http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/9c89/?cpg=61H

    oh please, like I'll get distracted byOH SHINY!!!!

    - I suport publick skools.

    Neil, Nov 16, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    HT Guest

    Congrats Pete. I found that 297 was the hardest for me to pass. I never
    failed any exam but 297, and I failed that 2 time before I passed it.

    Wish you luck and let us know how it goes.

    --
    HT
    MCSE, MCSA, MCTS Exchange 2007,

    HT, Nov 19, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?cGV0ZTAwODU=?=

    Noor Guest

    "pete0085" wrote:

    > Passed the 70-290 and got my first exam out of the way. I admit I wasn't
    > comfortable, but scored in the mid 800s. Next is the 70-291. I've been
    > reading the 291 is significantly more difficult. Can someone tell me why, is
    > it the subnetting or other topics?

    I face the same problem and I'm trying to find a good book to help passing
    this exam .. what do you think

    Noor, Nov 21, 2007