    with it doesn't seem to be giving the experience that I need to really
    understand the 290 test. So would 294 give me the background to make 290 any
    easier? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
    Shifty, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Micosoft Press is a great learning guide. However, I also use several of the Syngress guides to supplement my studying. The Microsoft Press books state that you should have a minimum level of practical experience, so there are not as many practice areas. The Syngress books are rather bloated but are crammed with practice areas and tests.

    Christopher McGill, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Shifty

    catwalker63 Guest

    I started reading about Active directory before even trying to study for the
    server exam. I was used to NT4 and hadn't had my hands on server 2000 or
    2003. Studying a bit of both sounds like they might help you with the ADs
    subject matter. As a supplement to your study guides, I recommend OReilly's
    Active Directory Second Edition by Robbie Allen and Alistair G.
    Lowe-Norris. I also have the Minasi Resource Kit from Sybex and I read the
    Mastering Active Directory book from that series. I am studying 2000 before
    I do 2003 so I also read Mastering Windows 2000 Server, which was excellent
    and very easy to read and there is a 2003 version of the Minasi Resource Kit
    that's just as good. The Microsoft Windows Resource Kit for 2003 server is
    not yet available online but you might consider purchasing it if you have
    the funds. I've used the online version for 2000 extensively to supplement
    my books. I'm also using the MS Press self-paced training kits and there
    are tons of references for further reading all through the book. Read them!

    Since you are not yet in the industry, practice as much as you can on your
    network. They more you mess with it, break it, fix it, change it, work with
    it, the better. It will be harder for you but if you stick with it you can
    do it.

    This is one of my favorite places to start to get all things Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources/default.asp

    This one is for CertTutor.net with free online 2000 and 2003 practice exams
    and a great forum:
    http://www.2000exams.com/

    Here is a list of 2003 How To's you can turn into practice exercises:
    http://tinyurl.com/36t9w

    Good luck!
    --
    Kelley
    aka catwalker

    catwalker63, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Shifty

    Guest Guest

    290 was much easier than 294 at least for me...
    290 is very little on AD and Permissions.. it is mostly
    hardware support and backup procedures..
    290 passed first time.. 294 1 time so far but was close
    at 675...

    Guest, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Shifty

    Trip Guest

    I agree, When I took the exam it was mainly diaster
    recovery Terminal Sevrices and Permissions. Started the
    course on the monday took the exam on the friday and
    passed with 730 :D

    /pt

    Trip, Jul 10, 2004