70-290 sucks!

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Guest, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Okay everyone... I sucked it up and took the exam thinking
    I was ready.... and I WAS.....

    .....Microsoft didn't agree with me on this though.

    Passing score was 700.... I got 684.

    WHAT A CROCK OF !*%

    This was the HARDEST exam I have ever taken to date (just
    as most website reviews have stated). The testing center I
    took this at was also a school and they mentioned that
    most everyone that has taken this exam has not done well
    at all.

    They said they are nervous because they have people
    attending their school that are almost ready for this exam
    and now they dont know what they should do to make sure
    they are trained enough.

    Here is my review:

    Exam 70-290
    45 questions, 95 minute time limit
    passing score of 700

    1) The exam is EXTREMELY wordy and considering you only
    have an average of 2 minutes per question, this needs to
    be changed! Some of the questions take 2 minutes just to
    read the scenario and all the answers!

    2) There are dropdown answers and radio buttons that do
    not respond good to mouse input.

    3) There was a question on this exam that required knowege
    of Visual Basic Script to complete. This is not ANYWHERE
    on the exam objectives! They dont even include this in
    their approved courseware! If I had gotten this question
    correct, it would have meant a passing score!!

    4) very vague answers! they ask you for a specific answer
    to a scenario but only give you answers that contain vague
    command line answers. How can I be expected to answer a
    specific question to demonstrate real world knowlege if
    they dont allow me to complete the answer with the correct
    switches!

    I have taken many many many practice exams and have never
    experienced anything along the lines of these types of
    questions.

    All I know is I do not recommend anyone take this exam
    without being 300% ready for it...... beware of items not
    listed on their exam objectives..... I had heard rumors of
    this but was still confused even though I KNEW it was on
    there.

    Good luck all!:

    Guest, Dec 26, 2003

  2. I passed this test in beta--wasn't as difficult as you describe. Perhaps,
    you lack experience with the product.

    Don't You Wish, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Try passing it now jackass.... beta is not the real exam.

    This appears to be one of the more difficult of the MCP
    exams.

    http://mcpmag.com/reviews/Exams/article.asp?
    EditorialsID=101

    Guest, Dec 27, 2003
  4. True, the beta test is twice as long--I had 85 questions--not the measly 45
    questions you had. All of the questions on the real exam are on the beta
    test.

    Don't You Wish, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Guest

    Dave Guest

    I took the eexam just before xmas and passed first time. It's not that bad
    if u have experience. The one problem is there are questions on stuff that
    isn't covered in any prep manuals.

    Dave, Dec 30, 2003
  6. I passed 292 and 296
    the exam is not diffcult if you are using windows 2003 and you excersice
    evry lab I think you will pass it well
    But I agree for the vouge questions and drag and drop situation but this now
    in all Microsoft Exams
    Best wishes next time
    Mahmoud Ibrahim
    MCP+I, MCSA 2000/2003/Messaging , MCSE NT4/2000/2003

    CompTIA Inet+

    Mahmoud Ibrahim, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Guest

    Eric Guest

    I agree... All Microsoft exams are vague and confusing on
    purpose. Truly. I am not just being facetious. MS wants
    to make certification a premium title, so they make the
    exams in such a way to try and make experience the
    deciding factor. In fact, even experienced folks have
    trouble. Anyway, I know it is frustrating and costly, but
    I think the average person takes 2 attempts at most exams
    to pass.

    Eric, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Guest

    Chief Guest

    i think you are right in how difficult the exams are but i passed them with
    the first try.
    210.215.216.218
    i think it is how you prepare for them.
    i took a trainingcourse for 210 and 215 the other two was pure learning and
    experimenting in my own small network.
    however it worked.
    don't look so desperate to the exams, you have to understand the logic
    thought sitting behind every question.
    in most questions there are given 2 completely wrong answers so you have to
    decide between 2 insted of 4.
    reading the press books (most people consider them not good enough) you will
    see the way of thinking of ms.
    of course you have to have luck as well :-(

    Chief, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Guest

    SM Guest

    I recently took the test with no problems (Nov '03).
    Smoked the test, but I'm (A). Used to MS tests and how to
    avoid their traps and (B). Have extensive time in on the
    products. The beta test questions are on the (as you call
    it) real exam.
    I actually found the 291 more difficult than the others,
    but it's luck of the draw for difficult (thought
    provoking) questions. You have to seperate the real world
    (as it works), from (looks good on paper) Microsoft
    rationale.

    290 requires that you are solid in Disk Management,
    Backups, basic understanding of permissions, GPO and
    troubleshooting. Understanding Server Roles & Modes and
    Performance monitoring/troubleshooting.

    Be upset all you want and be convinced that this test is
    out to get you, but why point the finger when it was not
    and is not a difficult test to pass. It seems to me that
    you fell prey to some of the detractors that
    they "purposely" put in there. (Side note: Has anyone
    ever figured out if Tess is a boy or a girl yet? *grin*).
    And you're right, as I just said, THEY DO IT ON PURPOSE!

    Just take a few days and rethink the types and style of
    questions that you saw on that test and review that
    information, plus the info that I put above. Or you could
    just cry a river and feel that Microsoft is just picking
    on you. Personally, don't let that get the best of you,
    because you'll take it back into the test room with you
    the next time you go! Don't let it affect you that way.
    Good luck!

    SM

    SM, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Guest