70-290 or 70-291

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by MCSA Wannabe, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. MCSA Wannabe

    MCSA Wannabe Guest

    I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also did
    the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy the
    elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a week of
    intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).

    I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly inadequate.
    I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch and go
    all the way.

    I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
    strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and concepts
    and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.

    The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
    technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in generalities.
    Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
    discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
    like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"

    At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
    suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
    cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
    study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home network/sim
    environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150 created
    nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is very
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    MCSA Wannabe, Jul 28, 2005

  2. MCSA Wannabe

    Rrodri Guest

    "MCSA Wannabe" wrote:

    > I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also did
    > the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy the
    > elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a week of
    > intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).
    >
    > I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly inadequate.
    > I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch and go
    > all the way.
    >
    > I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
    > strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and concepts
    > and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.
    >
    > The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
    > technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in generalities.
    > Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
    > discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
    > like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"
    >
    > At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
    > suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
    > cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
    > study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home network/sim
    > environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150 created
    > nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is very
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Im in the same predicament, my main source of studying for the 290 and 291
    exams are the MS books and installing the 2003 enterprise server(evaluation)
    on a partition for hands on training. I agree about the MS books, i find it
    ill equip for the exam, I used Sybex and passport for 270.

    Rrodri, Jul 28, 2005

  3. MCSA Wannabe

    someguy Guest

    Love the Syngress Books. Give them a try.

    someguy

    someguy, Jul 29, 2005
  4. someguy wrote:
    > Love the Syngress Books. Give them a try.
    >
    > someguy
    >
    > "Rrodri" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>"MCSA Wannabe" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have the 70-270 exam done, and was surprised how tough it was. I also
    >>>did
    >>>the A+ and Network+, which were both pretty easy, and combined, satisfy
    >>>the
    >>>elective. That leaves me with 290 and 291. For all three, I spent a
    >>>week of
    >>>intense, full-time study with a cram book (probably 40 - 50 hours total).
    >>>
    >>>I used the Passport book for the 70-270 exam and it was mostly
    >>>inadequate.
    >>>I passed mainly because of my experience with the OS, but it was touch
    >>>and go
    >>>all the way.
    >>>
    >>>I have the MS Press books and the Passport books for 290 and 291. My
    >>>strategy will be to use the Passport books to introduce topics and
    >>>concepts
    >>>and then go to the MS Press books for the detailed information and depth.
    >>>
    >>>The MS Press books are, in my opinion, the most boring and confusing
    >>>technical books I've ever encountered. So much is explained in
    >>>generalities.
    >>> Concepts are abstracted to such a degree that they become philosophical
    >>>discussions. It becomes less "How do I set up Active Directory" and more
    >>>like "How do we know Active Directory truly exists!!!"
    >>>
    >>>At any rate, I'm considering dumping the MS Press books and I'd like
    >>>suggestions on alternatives that might better compliment the the Passport
    >>>cram books. I'd also like opinions on the difficulty of these tests and
    >>>study strategies. Currently I do a lot of hands-on (build a home
    >>>network/sim
    >>>environment). I create flash cards for fact memory (I have 75 - 150
    >>>created
    >>>nearing test time). Any other tips on how to approach these exams is
    >>>very
    >>>appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance!

    >>Im in the same predicament, my main source of studying for the 290 and 291
    >>exams are the MS books and installing the 2003 enterprise
    >>server(evaluation)
    >>on a partition for hands on training. I agree about the MS books, i find
    >>it
    >>ill equip for the exam, I used Sybex and passport for 270.

    I have also heard the exam cram2 books are really good

    Acronyms_Are_Evil, Aug 5, 2005