    seeing this option. Am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    Brian, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Brian

    MCSE World Guest

    Do you have any other servers on the network already?

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Sep 9, 2003

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Yes..since I am already on a LAN, it wouldn't let me do what the book asks
    unless I unhook from the network. I wonder if I could still "get by" by not
    installing my test machine as a domain and just study the examples in the
    book?

    Brian, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Brian

    MCSE World Guest

    Sure, you can get by, you just won't get the full experience.

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Thanks..either I'll study the book or see how far I can push that old
    Packard Bell in my closet..;)

    Brian, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Brian

    MCSE World Guest

    Ehhh, you said Packard Hell.... ;)

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Brian

    Jtyc Guest

    > Ehhh, you said Packard Hell.... ;)

    In all fairness to Packard Bell, their customers were'nt the most computer
    savvy.

    Jtyc, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Brian

    JaR Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message
    > > Ehhh, you said Packard Hell.... ;)

    > In all fairness to Packard Bell, their customers were'nt the most computer
    > savvy.

    Speaking as one who had the great misfortune to own a Packard-Hell, neither
    were the ones who designed, built, or maintained the fscking things.

    To add insult to injury, the 45 min to 1.5 hr wait on the phone for "tech
    support" was rediculous.

    The one good part is, after the alleged warranty ran out, I got lots of
    practice in diagnostics and repair on the thing, and it still is part of my
    home net. ;-)

    --
    J.R. Jones
    A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42

    JaR, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Brian

    Jtyc Guest

    > Speaking as one who had the great misfortune to own a Packard-Hell,
    neither
    > were the ones who designed, built, or maintained the fscking things.

    All Packard Bells were built with Intel boards and chips for the most part.
    PB did build the boards sometimes but they were designed by Intel. The
    Aztec sound card/modems were subpar but the only real design flaw with them
    were the cases in my opinion.

    > To add insult to injury, the 45 min to 1.5 hr wait on the phone for "tech
    > support" was rediculous.

    When you are the first company to sell your computers in Walmart, you get a
    ton of sales. The problem is, a lot of those people were utterly clueless.
    I mean... totally clueless. And all these people called and bogged down the
    phones.

    I'm not trying to make excuses for PB, they built a bad reputation early on
    and could never recover from it.

    The lesson here: Don't piss off your customers or they won't return.

    Jtyc, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Brian

    JaR Guest

    "Jtyc" <> wrote in message

    Bought mine from Sears, 60mz P1. Sound card died in less than a month.
    Replaced under warranty.

    Two weeks later sound card died again. Returned to Sears, exchanged for
    75mz.

    Two weeks later, Hard drive crashed, spent two days trying to get help from
    PB, said fsck it, I'm getting my money back and buying a Dell. Sears
    convinces me to try again, upgrade to a 160 mz @ no charge:)

    Runs great for 6 months, then won't boot. RAM failure, Ah, what the heck, I
    wanted an excuse to upgrade from 16 megs anyway. Install two 32 meg sticks.

    1 month later, CD goes kaput. Oh, well, I wanted a faster one anyway.

    Warranty expires.

    Hard drive crashes.

    Power supply fails.

    Modem quits.

    Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

    Yup, that machine was a learning experience. Hell, I oughta list Packard
    Bell on my resume.

    --
    J.R. Jones
    A+ Net+ MCSA PHCR[0] MCNGP#..............42

    [0] Packard Hell Certified

    JaR, Sep 11, 2003
  11. Brian

    Jtyc Guest

    The biggest problem with those systems for the most part was the software
    that was put on em. They ran alot better if you wiped them clean when you
    bought them and then installed your own stuff. The hardware was all the
    same crap that every other company put in their systems. (Minus the
    soundcard).

    Jtyc, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Brian

    Jtyc Guest

    > Heh, I know, That old box has been running penguin ware since about 1998
    and
    > hasn't had a problem in years. 'course it's been totally rebuilt except

    for
    > the mobo. *knocks on wood*

    P160... probably an old PB640 motherboard. Pretty solid board. You'll be
    alright.

    Jtyc, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Brian

    JaR Guest