70-284 Exchange 2003 - Frontend servers and SMTP

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by LMC, Feb 16, 2009.

  1. LMC

    LMC Guest

    On the off chance someone with a MCSA/E messaging reads this post...

    In regard to configuring a FRONT-END server. The MOAC module 8, page 12
    makes reference to "Dismount the mailbox and public folder stores on the
    front-end server, and disable the Exchange Information Store service". Sure,
    I get it, its not a MAILBOX store, it's basically an entry point for OWA to a
    backend farm. Then, in the same paragraph it mentions: "If the front-end
    server is also running the SMTP Service, then the mailbox store must be
    mounted and the Information Store service cannot be stopped."
    Well, now I'm a little confused.I get the fact that you would drop most all
    protocols on the front end because HTTP (OWA) is doing most of the work. SMTP
    is a SEND protocol for lack of a better word.

    So if the back-end virtual servers ( or SMTP connectors ) are doing the
    grunt work of sending messages outbound why would you have SMTP on the
    front-end? - or - What scenario would you have SMTP loaded on the front-end?

    Regards from the Midwest
    LMC, Feb 16, 2009

  2. LMC

    John R Guest

    "LMC" <> wrote in message
    > On the off chance someone with a MCSA/E messaging reads this post...
    >
    > In regard to configuring a FRONT-END server. The MOAC module 8, page 12
    > makes reference to "Dismount the mailbox and public folder stores on the
    > front-end server, and disable the Exchange Information Store service".
    > Sure,
    > I get it, its not a MAILBOX store, it's basically an entry point for OWA
    > to a
    > backend farm. Then, in the same paragraph it mentions: "If the front-end
    > server is also running the SMTP Service, then the mailbox store must be
    > mounted and the Information Store service cannot be stopped."
    > Well, now I'm a little confused.I get the fact that you would drop most
    > all
    > protocols on the front end because HTTP (OWA) is doing most of the work.
    > SMTP
    > is a SEND protocol for lack of a better word.
    >
    > So if the back-end virtual servers ( or SMTP connectors ) are doing the
    > grunt work of sending messages outbound why would you have SMTP on the
    > front-end? - or - What scenario would you have SMTP loaded on the
    > front-end?

    I am by no means an exchange expert, but would you not need the SMTP service
    on the front end if it were accepting SMTP traffic from clients? In this
    case, you would first have to redirect your SMTP clients to use a different
    server if you wanted to removed SMTP from the front end. An example of this
    might be an automation device such as a PBX/Voice mail system, or a
    printer/copier/scanner or maybe even a UPS system that sends email via SMTP.

    John R
    John R, Feb 16, 2009

  3. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > "LMC" <> wrote in message

    >> So if the back-end virtual servers ( or SMTP connectors ) are doing the
    >> grunt work of sending messages outbound why would you have SMTP on the
    >> front-end? - or - What scenario would you have SMTP loaded on the
    >> front-end?

    > I am by no means an exchange expert, but would you not need the SMTP
    > service on the front end if it were accepting SMTP traffic from clients?

    There are actually multiple roles a front-end Exchange server might take on.
    One of them is as an OWA/OMA server. Another is as an SMTP-bastion host so
    that the back-end server does *not* have to handle inbound SMTP connections.

    The notes in the training guide are written to account for either (or both)
    scenarios.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Feb 17, 2009