    knows all the windows and tabs of Microsoft Office is beyond me.

    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Jo

    RemoteShark Guest

    I hear what you are saying and I have been there in terms of motivation.
    Motivation is purely a matter of self discipline. If the exam was tomorrow,
    you'd be studying your a$$ off. How I see it and how I have dealt with it, is
    that I make small steps in study. Of course, you are not going to know
    everything possible in MS Office. Thats why they have the MOUSE
    certification. For us MCP's it's based on supporting Office, the most common
    office issues, not the whole application and what it can do...etc.

    In another way, an MCP certification is about sacrifice, about taking time
    from your day and spending it reading and learning the material required for
    the exam. You may be able to use this information in your current job, should
    you be in one, or to be used in order to get a job in IT. Whatever end of the
    stick you are, determines your purpose.

    How you feel also relates to how you see yourself. Maybe you are not ready
    for pursuing this exam and until you do, you will feel like this unless you
    change your attitude. The urgency for me, is that I need a pay raise to pay
    bills, finance a house, finance a car, have medical support for family and be
    able to keep my job. Maybe you have a different scenerio, but for others it
    may be a matter of survival, bread and butter and until you realise your
    purpose, you will be stuck in your ownself until you are able to pull
    yourself out of it and concentrate on achieving that goal.

    To make things abit extreme here, I read a book about a concentration camp,
    where the inmates had no choice if they were motivated or not to get up in
    the morning to work for 10 hours with broken shoes, torn clothes, blistering
    cold conditions and some already very sick and then being kicked, punched and
    shot at for slowing down. Then be given a small bowl of watery soup, that
    tasted like $hit. They simply had to be motivated in order to stay alive, to
    eat and to keep up with the rest of the camp inmates. I think we are blessed
    that we have the choice to choose. For some of the camp inmates, the choice
    was made for them but for other camp inmates they had made the choice and the
    choice became their purpose, a meaning beyond the life of the camp and this
    is how some of them survived. So therefore, if you do not have a purpose or a
    meaning, you have nothing and until you create a purpose, you will be as poor
    as a sick inmate, ready to die from giving up.

    Be happy you can make that choice, in freedom and in time. If you are
    interested in readying that book instead of the MS Press book, you are my
    guest. The name of the book is called 'Man's search for Meaning' by Benjamin
    Frankl. It's a real eye opener and made me realise how much we take life for
    granted. No matter what success you will achieve, there will always be an
    element of struggle and without struggle there is no liberation.

    RemoteShark

    RemoteShark, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Jo

    TheITGirl Guest

    "RemoteShark" <> wrote in message
    >I hear what you are saying and I have been there in terms of motivation.
    > Motivation is purely a matter of self discipline. If the exam was
    > tomorrow,
    > you'd be studying your a$$ off. How I see it and how I have dealt with it,
    > is
    > that I make small steps in study. Of course, you are not going to know
    > everything possible in MS Office. Thats why they have the MOUSE
    > certification. For us MCP's it's based on supporting Office, the most
    > common
    > office issues, not the whole application and what it can do...etc.

    <remainder of lengthy post snipped>

    > "Jo" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all:
    >>
    >> I'm in the process of working on my 272 and I simply cannot get motivated
    >> get through this stuff. I would like an opinion from all who have passed
    >> as
    >> to whether you found this test more difficult or easier than the 271.
    >> I'm
    >> ready to hang this up because I can't seem to dig through this. How
    >> anybody
    >> knows all the windows and tabs of Microsoft Office is beyond me.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Motochick

    Hi Jo

    As RemoteShark says, you are not expected to know everything about every MS
    Office application. The 272 tends to concentrate on things like customising
    the toolbars, spelling/grammar checker etc. rather than creating and editing
    documents. You will need to know about setting up and configuring e-mail
    accounts in both Outlook and Outlook Express and which ports are used for
    SMTP, ICMP, POP3, NNTP etc.

    TBH I did find the 272 exam harder than the 271 - mainly because there were
    a few questions on stuff I had not come across at work before and not
    covered in the books I had either. Also, the questions were more "wordy"
    than those in the 271. Can't really say any more than that.

    However, that said, I did get through the exam and I'm sure you will too.

    All the best

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Shark:

    The point is this - I work full-time, come home and have to take care of a
    87 year old and a 76 year old - cook dinner, clean up, check on matters that
    they cannot do, take care of the cats, then if I have time, I pull the book
    out. It's not that I'm a slacker in life. I'm the caregiver, reverse
    parent, cat lover, cook, maid, grass cutter, wood splitter, etc. By the time
    most of this is taken care of, the book sits in front of me and my mind is
    somewhere else. So you can see why I'm not motivated to read about Word,
    Excel, Powerpoint or any other application that doesn't mean much to me
    because I don't use any of this in my job.

    Yes, I have to agree it's discipline. Right now that discipline is at it's
    peak. I will take my time, study when I can and hope within the next several
    months I make my MCDST.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Jo

    RemoteShark Guest

    Motochick!

    You ask a question, you get an answer, you ask a different question you get
    a different answer. Maybe it wasn't in your first message about why you don't
    feel motivated, but since your story is alot clearer I can see where you are
    coming from.

    It's like going to the doctor and saying 'It hurts' and expecting the doctor
    to know exactly where the pain is!

    OK... now reading what you are saying...Wow! You have your hands more than
    full. If you don't want to sit and read a book, then I suggest instead listen
    and watch a CBT training movie, then that may work for you. I know people who
    have just studied exam questions and haven't even used Windows XP and passed.
    There are so many help resouces out there, it is really a hard exam to fail,
    unless you were like me and just did it without studying, that was just plain
    stupid. However I missed my second chance, because I was unwell and went to
    hospital. Apart from that I am been on and off studying for the past 4 months
    and in the last 3 weeks I am being very religiously studying, day and
    night...through all sorts of mediums and I am finally becoming to realise
    that it has worked and I feel confident. I am taking my exam in exactly 2
    weeks from today. Nervous? abit but thats normal.

    I wanted to ask a question: If you feel that it's worth obtaining the MCDST,
    to maybe twice a week hire a maid and spend that time in a closed room. There
    are other opportunities for local schools to give a hand in the home for a
    small amount of money.That way you won't feel guilty and it will be money
    well spent and you are getting something out of your life aswell.

    The MCDST will be around for another 2 or 3 years, aslong as XP is supported
    by Microsoft I suppose, so you have a long time to do it, anyhow.

    Good Luck!
    RemoteShark

    RemoteShark, Mar 29, 2007
  6. "Jo" (AKA "Motochick") wrote:

    > So you can see why I'm not motivated to read about Word,
    > Excel, Powerpoint or any other application that doesn't mean much to me
    > because I don't use any of this in my job.

    If you don't use them, and don't plan to, why are you interested in the
    MCDST?

    A better choice (for you) might be the "new generation" Technology Series
    certifications.

    Michael D. Hensley, Mar 29, 2007
  7. To my young Padawan... Who knows you better?!?

    Jo, I know how you are feeling. I know what you are thinking. You want
    another iTunes card don't you?!? :)

    Seriously if that is what it takes I will... If you want to revisit our
    original offer, we can. But you will NOT quit on yourself. Even if I
    have to come up there and perform your daily tasks so you can finish
    this (I have the frequent flyer miles for it!). My cooking sucks, but I
    can clean! And parents and cats love me!

    I remember going through this with you for the 70-271 exam. Guess what?
    You passed that one! Think of Microsoft Office as an extension of
    Microsoft Windows XP. Review the objectives Microsoft has prescribed for
    the exam. I know you can do this... I have foreseen it... <in my best
    Darth Sidious voice>

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Jo

    catwalker63 Guest

    Irish_IT_hopeful piffled away vaguely:

    > I will not settle for instant coffee though!!!

    I hate coffee. I live in Washington state and I think I'm one of about
    8 people who loaths coffee.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2007
  9. And here I was just beginning to warm up to you! Well at least you live
    in Washington, I love the PNW. I try to go to Redmond/Seattle as much as
    I can.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    The Classroom Blog

    CertGuard Member
    The Stronghold for Excellence in I.T. Certification
    www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 31, 2007
  10. Jo

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:

    > And here I was just beginning to warm up to you! Well at least you live
    > in Washington, I love the PNW. I try to go to Redmond/Seattle as much as
    > I can.

    I wouldn't live anywhere else.

    Oddly enough, I like the smell of coffee beans and of coffee brewing.
    The smell is deceiving. It doesn't taste anything like it smells.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Jo

    catwalker63 Guest

    FrisbeeĀ® piffled away vaguely:

    > You're a super-taster like me. This may be a silly question, but have you
    > tried adding creamer to your coffee? Coffee tastes unbearably bitter to a
    > super-taster, even really good coffee, but the cream takes most of the
    > bitterness away.
    >
    > By any chance do you also not like the taste of alcohol?

    I've tried coffee with cream, yes and it does taste better. Tastes
    great with massive amounts of chocolate and creamer. I still like hot
    chocolate better. It doesn't taste extremely bitter to me, just not
    like it smells.

    Depends on the alcohol but I don't like hard liquors straight if that's
    what you are asking. I like the taste fine with a mixer (vodka tonic,
    rum & coke) and I like sweet wines over dry (Gewerztramer, Chenin
    Blanc).

    I don't drink really anymore for various reasons. I don't have a good
    chemical reaction to it -- it makes me feel like crap right away. In
    addition, I'm diabetic and some of my meds don't agree with it either.

    catwalker63, Apr 3, 2007