    pages and pages of information in front of me... It's just a little
    daunting, but I'm determined to see it through.

    Heather

    soulwithnofootprint, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Sitting both exams back to back is a preference. I chose not to for the
    simple fact that I hate just sitting there. I took them a week apart.
    The only exam I took back to back was my A+ many moons ago.

    Take a look at my blog below, and browse the MCDST studies category. You
    have tons of resources to help you succeed; including this newsgroup.
    Feel free to email with specific questions or post here for additional
    opinions. Good luck.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 13, 2007

  3. i did both exams at once.. only 1 hour in between.. the reason is that the
    content of both exams hangs closely together.. (and also i wanted to get rid
    of the stress asap!). and yes, i passed with a score of more than 800..
    just set your mind to 0.. and only think of passing those exams..

    Andy Van Royen, Feb 13, 2007
  4. soulwithnofootprint

    Guest Guest

    I got the press book for 272 and studied for it and took it on a Wednesday
    and took the 271 on a Friday and passed them both with good scores. The 271
    was harder for me but I think that was because I was weaker in the
    troubleshooting area and stronger in networking. I took an 8 hour class for
    271 a 20 hour class for 272, studied using the class textbook for 271 and
    bought the 272 Ms press book. I would get the 272 press book and read it
    cover to cover ( at least on stuff that you don't already have mastered) and
    then compare the 271 material and study what is different. It seems to me
    that the big difference was the extent of the troubleshooting on 271 was
    greater and 272 requires a more extensive networking knowledge.
    as A final note I take classes at a new Horizons Computer Learning center
    and heard a story of a guy who studied for 272 and accidentally signed up
    for the 271 test and passed! That was what convinced me to just jump in and
    take the 271 test two days after taking 272. However, My understanding is
    that 272 is the harder of the two exams so I would take it first. If you
    pass it you are in good shape for the 271. if you fail 271, then 272 is
    going to be really intimidating. That was my philosophy anyway....
    One last thing...use the preparation material in the back of the MS press
    book. I discovered it to be the best exam prep material as far as being
    realistic in difficulty and length. It was closer to the actual exam than
    anything else I took.
    Good luck
    Michael

    Guest, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Thank you all for the advice. It's good to hear from people who've survived
    the material and passed the exams. I'm finding the MS Press book quite
    helpful for 271 so far, and am already doing better on the practice
    questions. One thing I'm learning is to read the question very carefully and
    take in all the information before jumping on an answer.

    Thanks again for the quick responses. I feel better already!

    soulwithnofootprint, Feb 14, 2007
  6. soulwithnofootprint

    Mark Guest

    Hi Heather

    I took mine a month apart, so I had a month to study for both, the study
    material I got was the two self paced training kits for DST and the
    transcender practice exams, if you can get them, just learn the flash cards
    (350) off by hart (they make you answer the question properly not multiple
    choice until you do the practice exams) .take the test exams, before I
    studied I got 30% after I studied and did the flash cards I was just getting
    70% and in the exam I got 80%

    the second one is supposed to be easier than the first but don't rest on
    your laurels

    hope this helps

    Mark

    Mark, Feb 15, 2007
  7. soulwithnofootprint

    SteveC33603 Guest

    I just completed both of these exams. I think it's possible to take them
    back to back but personally I think taking them a week apart is the way
    to go. Start with 70-271 and then work on 70-272. 70-272 requires the
    knowledge from 70-271 in my opinion.

    --
    SteveC33603

    SteveC33603, Feb 16, 2007
  8. soulwithnofootprint

    Matt Baack Guest

    I just took both tests today and passed. I must say I'm not really happy
    about the time I wasted studying. I did not read anything for 271 everyone I
    work with told me that since I have taken and passed the 270 the 271 would be
    easy. It was but you really need to know share and NTFS permissions KNOW
    them. For the 272 test I read the MS press book and I think that I could have
    passed with out using that book. Not a lot of what I read was covered on the
    test. But I can't say what will be on somebody else test. Most of the
    questions the test covered I knew just because of working in IT for so long.
    Know domain and workgroup behavior and like I said permissions. I did not
    have anything over Word or Excel. Just Outlook and account setup and how
    Outlook functions when it used in conjunction with Exchange. Questions about
    printer devices and drivers, USB and hubs. Know you hardware. And PDA's
    issues they have. Some other things are when you use "unattend.txt" and
    "winnt.sif" and I was asked a few questions about XP home and it does not
    allow logging in to a domain. I don't see myself taking more then one test at
    a time because the rest of them are not going to be easy. 290 and 291 here I
    come. Here is what I like to do for tests. Get the list of stuff that each
    covers. And check off what you know cold and then go from there. If you do
    that you should have no trouble at all. Even if my test did not cover it you
    are still expected to know it. And if you work in IT you will use it. Hope
    this helps I know I just kinda rambled.
    Good Luck to ya.
    --
    Matt Baack
    A+, MCP, and MCDST

    Matt Baack, Feb 22, 2007
  9. NDA Violation?

    Keith Chilton, Feb 22, 2007
  10. It is unclear right now to be honest. Even in Redmond. I have been
    talking to Trika and Keith Loeber (Certification Program Manager) about
    what the NDA actually covers. We are scheduled to talk more about it in
    the upcoming weeks. I will post it on my blog and newsgroups when I find
    something out. At this point, I do not see anything Matt shared that you
    could not already find on the preparation guide for the 2 exams. He did
    not, "disclose, publish, reproduce, or transmit this exam, in whole or
    in part, in any form or by any means, verbal or written, electronic or
    mechanical, for any purpose." He just shared his experience without
    details specific questions on the exam. See the slippery slope. More to
    come...

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 22, 2007
  11. Try not to violate any exam policies by guiding people on what the exam gave
    out. Mr Alligood goes green in the face with such posts. We really have to
    keep it to ourselves, otherwise they could take back the certs. I suppose,
    everyone wants to be protected. Just a warning from me!

    But CONGRATS! Hope to do a jig for you!*hehehe

    Ramon

    Ramon De Bruijn, Feb 22, 2007
  12. Hi, Mark.

    I have to admit, I took the practice exam before looking at any of the
    material just to see what's what and scored somewhere around your first score
    there. That was a little discouraging! So the fact that the training kits
    do pay off is definitely good to hear. While it would be nice to get the
    exams over with quickly, I think I'll do something similar to what you did
    and take 271 first and if all goes well, 272 after a few weeks of studying.
    I'll just keep reminding myself it'll all be over and done with before the
    snow melts.

    Thanks again to everyone who's responding. It's good to hear about all your
    experiences.

    Heather

    soulwithnofootprint, Feb 22, 2007
  13. Read my remarks to Keith. Hopefully we can clear this up with the
    appropriate people in Redmond soon. But I really do not see anything
    Matt did wrong. The posts I have seen in this and other Newsgroups, the
    confusion the NDA has caused, the "helping" or "hindering" of assisting
    those get certified by preparing them as much as we can for the exam
    prompted me to contact my peeps in Redmond to help clear up exactly what
    violates the NDA. More to come soon.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Feb 22, 2007
  14. I also passed 271 & 272 at once and in my opinion it is not really difficult
    if you are well prepared but everyone knows how much he/she is able to
    receive of their brain :). Sorry about my English. I´m from Germany and I´m
    just trying to improve my English!

    "SteveC33603" <> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:...

    Claas Voelcker, Feb 23, 2007
  15. Greetings to everyone who was kind enough to reply to me.

    I just had to stop in to say I passed the 271 exam today! I would
    definitely say the Microsoft Press Book and the practice questions that came
    with it on the CD were the way to go for me. I'm already feeling more
    confident about 272, knowing now how to best prepare myself for the exam. I
    was not confident walking in there today, this being my first certification
    exam and not knowing what to expect, and I had fully prepared myself to call
    this a learning experience and retake the test after a little more study
    time. So it feels very good to have passed. I had to read the results a
    couple of times before I believed my score and the smile spread across my
    face.

    Thanks to everyone who responded to my question and for all the advice in
    this forum. It definitely helps to know you're not the only one sweating
    through the exams.

    Cheers!
    Heather

    soulwithnofootprint, Mar 8, 2007