    CompTIA publishes this information clearly and I would
    like to see Microsoft do the same.

    Jennifer
    Jennifer, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Jennifer

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 15, 2004 "Jennifer" blathered:

    > I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
    > exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
    > possible for the 70-270 exam?

    Should be 1000.

    --
    TechGeekPro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 15, 2004

  3. Jennifer

    JaR Guest

    TechGeekPro wrote:

    > On Jul 15, 2004 "Jennifer" blathered:
    >

    >>I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
    >>exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
    >>possible for the 70-270 exam?

    > Should be 1000.

    But it's not. People have reported scores over 1000. It's just another
    MS sekrit.

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Jennifer

    JaR Guest

    Amy Rusko [MS] wrote:

    > Look at the third FAQ under Exam Questions and Testing Information on
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.asp
    >
    > Q. What does my score mean?
    >
    > A. Beginning with the release of the Microsoft Windows Serverâ„¢
    > 2003–related exams, Microsoft will provide numerical scores on exams.
    > By the end of September 2003, most exams will have the new score
    > report format, which includes this numerical score. Microsoft has
    > worked with customers and testing industry experts to create an exam
    > scale that would be consistent across all exams. The new scale
    > requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all exams. The maximum
    > score on the exams will vary depending on the complexity of the
    > skills being measured.
    >
    > Amy Rusko MS Learning

    IOW like I said. "It's a sekrit!"

    obPedant; I would have thought a MS representative would know how to set
    line wrap. 74 is optimal ;-)

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 15, 2004
  5. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    Amy,

    It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
    without knowing to what extent one must know the
    information. Ideally, I would know the content 100%, but
    it is rare to enter an examination feeling like you will
    be able to answer any question posed. In order to
    properly prepare, I need to know how well I must know the
    information. For example, the CompTia A+ OS exam requires
    a minimum score of 505 out of 900. So when I was passing
    practice exams at 90%, I felt comfortable that I would be
    able to pass the CompTIA exam with the required 56%. It
    is unreasonable to expect people to take an examination
    without knowing what there goal is. 700 out of 800 points
    is a dramatically different score that 700 out of 1200
    points. I encourage you to publish your the point scale
    for each examination.

    Jennifer

    Serverâ"¢ 2003â?"related exams, Microsoft will provide
    numerical scores on exams. By the end of September 2003,
    most exams will have the new score report format, which
    includes this numerical score. Microsoft has worked with
    customers and testing industry experts to create an exam
    scale that would be consistent across all exams. The new
    scale requires a minimum passing score of 700 on all
    exams. The maximum score on the exams will vary depending
    on the complexity of the skills being measured.

    >Amy Rusko
    >MS Learning

    confers no

    Jennifer, Jul 15, 2004
  6. Jennifer

    JaR Guest

    Jennifer wrote:
    > Amy,
    >
    > It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
    > without knowing to what extent one must know the
    > information. Ideally, I would know the content 100%, but
    > it is rare to enter an examination feeling like you will
    > be able to answer any question posed. In order to
    > properly prepare, I need to know how well I must know the
    > information. <snippage>

    No, no impossible. It just means you need to know your stuff. If it was
    impossible, nobody would be able to pass the exams. That, obviously, is
    not the case. You can't pass these exams being 70% prepared.

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 15, 2004
  7. Jennifer

    kpg Guest

    > It is impossible to adequately prepare for an examination
    > without knowing to what extent one must know the
    > information.

    That is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

    You mean that if the pass/fail mark were 50% you would
    only study enough to learn half the material? Really?

    I find that...well...disturbing.

    kpg
    kpg, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    True, it isn't impossible. I exaggerate. It still
    shouldn't be a "sekret."

    Deferentially (and amused),
    Jennifer

    Jennifer, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Jennifer

    JaR Guest

    Jennifer wrote:

    > True, it isn't impossible. I exaggerate. It still
    > shouldn't be a "sekret."
    >
    > Deferentially (and amused),
    > Jennifer

    We all agree, but trying to convince MS is like trying to teach a pig to
    sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.

    JaR
    JaR, Jul 16, 2004
  10. Jennifer

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 15, 2004 "JaR" blathered:

    > You can't pass these exams being 70% prepared.

    Well technically, if you get really lucky, you *could* pass the exam. But
    then again, why would you want to. I've always tried to get the highest
    possible score I could, regardless of the passing percentage.

    --
    TechGeekPro
    MCNGP #36, MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+
    TechGeekPro, Jul 16, 2004
  11. Jennifer

    Steve Guest

    Technically it really doesn't matter whether you get 701
    or 1299 as long as you pass and have the cert in hand :)

    and

    Steve, Jul 16, 2004
  12. Jennifer

    Avensis Guest

    "Jennifer" <> wrote in message news:<2d94a01c46a86$fa1441d0$>...
    > I know that 700 is the minimum passing score for the
    > exams, but does anyone know the maximum number of points
    > possible for the 70-270 exam? Thank you.

    I think there's no 1000 point for full exam. For example on 70-290 my
    boyfriend had 765 points and he made mistake in only one question. So
    maximum may be around 800 points.
    Our friend had failed with 665 points and it looked like he didn't
    answer around 7-8 questions.
    It's very hard to guess what way they are counting points.

    I think that the same situation is possible on 70-270. I can answer
    this question in 2 weeks when he'll take it.

    We are preparing to get the best score. I'm passing 70-290 in two
    weeks so we can compare scores.

    Avensis.
    Avensis, Jul 22, 2004