    week left to plug knowledge gaps, is the exam likely to be passable or should
    I reschedule?

    Steve

    Chumble, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Chumble

    Maincat Guest

    "Chumble" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sitting the 70-270 exam next week (my first MS exam). When I booked it
    > couple of months ago I thought I'd given myself plenty time to study, but
    > work and 'life' stuff has been hectic and I'm not sure I've done enough
    > prep.
    > I'm consistently scoring around 80-85% in practice tests (from various
    > sources, not just the ones supplied with the self-paced training book).
    > Can
    > anyone tell me what the pass % is for the exam? If I'm getting 80% with a
    > week left to plug knowledge gaps, is the exam likely to be passable or
    > should
    > I reschedule?
    >
    > Steve

    No one will tell you the pass mark. To do so, even if it was known, would
    break the confidentiality agreement with Microsoft. The same goes for
    number of questions and any other exam related subject.

    All you and anyone else can do is study hard, work hard and prepare as well
    as you can. Then take the exam. Only you will know when that is.

    Good luck.

    Steve

    Maincat, Apr 21, 2007

  3. "Chumble" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sitting the 70-270 exam next week (my first MS exam). When I booked it a
    > couple of months ago I thought I'd given myself plenty time to study, but
    > work and 'life' stuff has been hectic and I'm not sure I've done enough prep.
    > I'm consistently scoring around 80-85% in practice tests (from various
    > sources, not just the ones supplied with the self-paced training book). Can
    > anyone tell me what the pass % is for the exam? If I'm getting 80% with a
    > week left to plug knowledge gaps, is the exam likely to be passable or should
    > I reschedule?
    >
    > Steve

    We could tell you this information, however Microsoft exams might
    include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does
    not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use the
    exam objectives that are listed in this preparation guide to prepare for
    the exam, regardless of its format. So it would be useless to tell you a
    specific number of questions and passing score. By knowing the
    technology and having real world experience, you will do fine.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Chumble

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:

    > "Chumble" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >> If I'm getting 80% with a week left to plug knowledge gaps, is the
    >> exam likely to be passable or should I reschedule?
    >>

    > We could tell you this information, however Microsoft exams might
    > include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does
    > not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use the
    > exam objectives that are listed in this preparation guide to prepare for
    > the exam, regardless of its format. So it would be useless to tell you a
    > specific number of questions and passing score. By knowing the
    > technology and having real world experience, you will do fine.

    That isn't acurate Michael since MS does not publish the "actual"
    percentage needed to pass each exam. There are plenty of theories on
    how they score the exam but the only thing anyone knows for sure is that
    every exam can be passed with a score of 700. This does not equate to
    70% nor does it necessarily equate to the same percentage for every
    exam. Personally I think they set the bar for each exam and then call
    that level 700 but I'm just speculating like everyone else.

    That said, it reall doesn't matter. First, don't keep taking practice
    exams over and over -- memorizing questions and answers is no way to
    prep for this exam. Read, practice a whole bunch with the product, and
    then take a few exams to test your readiness close to when you think
    you may be ready. If you are scoring 80-85% in all objectives of the
    exam (most practice exams will have indicators) then you are probably
    ready.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Chumble

    catwalker63 Guest

    Maincat piffled away vaguely:

    <snip>

    > No one will tell you the pass mark. To do so, even if it was known, would
    > break the confidentiality agreement with Microsoft. The same goes for
    > number of questions and any other exam related subject.

    Actually, you can tell anyone you want what the pass mark is. It's
    always 700. What no one knows is what that really means in terms of
    number of missed answers.

    catwalker63, Apr 22, 2007
  6. "catwalker63" <> wrote in message

    > Michael D. Alligood piffled away vaguely:
    >
    > > "Chumble" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >> If I'm getting 80% with a week left to plug knowledge gaps, is the
    > >> exam likely to be passable or should I reschedule?
    > >>

    > > We could tell you this information, however Microsoft exams might
    > > include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does
    > > not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use the
    > > exam objectives that are listed in this preparation guide to prepare for
    > > the exam, regardless of its format. So it would be useless to tell you a
    > > specific number of questions and passing score. By knowing the
    > > technology and having real world experience, you will do fine.
    > >

    > That isn't acurate Michael since MS does not publish the "actual"
    > percentage needed to pass each exam. There are plenty of theories on
    > how they score the exam but the only thing anyone knows for sure is that
    > every exam can be passed with a score of 700. This does not equate to
    > 70% nor does it necessarily equate to the same percentage for every
    > exam. Personally I think they set the bar for each exam and then call
    > that level 700 but I'm just speculating like everyone else.
    >
    > Catwalker
    > MCNGP #43
    > www.mcngp.com
    > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    That was my point, or thinking. 700 is the passing score but as we both
    stated that really should not matter if you know the material. My point
    as well was that Microsoft exams could be adaptive or fixed. Regardless

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Chumble

    Chumble Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks everyone. The original question was badly worded; I wasn't after
    specific details of the exam, rather the gut instinct of people who've done
    it as to whether having 80-85% knowledge gives me a fighting chance to pass.

    I'm using the practice tests partly to test readiness, but equally to find
    blind spots to go and research more thoroughly.

    I think I'll go for it next week; if nothing else I'll know for sure if I
    was ready that way! :)

    Thanks
    Steve

    Chumble, Apr 22, 2007
  8. Chumble

    catwalker63 Guest

    Chumble piffled away vaguely:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks everyone. The original question was badly worded; I wasn't after
    > specific details of the exam, rather the gut instinct of people who've done
    > it as to whether having 80-85% knowledge gives me a fighting chance to pass.
    >
    > I'm using the practice tests partly to test readiness, but equally to find
    > blind spots to go and research more thoroughly.
    >
    > I think I'll go for it next week; if nothing else I'll know for sure if I
    > was ready that way! :)

    Since this is your first MS Exam, the nerves are normal. The first one
    is always the hardest, not in terms of concepts, but in terms of
    expectations.

    catwalker63, Apr 22, 2007
  9. "Chumble" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks everyone. The original question was badly worded; I wasn't after
    > specific details of the exam, rather the gut instinct of people who've done
    > it as to whether having 80-85% knowledge gives me a fighting chance to pass.
    >
    > I'm using the practice tests partly to test readiness, but equally to find
    > blind spots to go and research more thoroughly.
    >
    > I think I'll go for it next week; if nothing else I'll know for sure if I
    > was ready that way! :)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve

    How much actually hands-on experience do you have with Windows XP
    Professional in a Domain environment?

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 22, 2007
  10. Chumble

    Maincat Guest

    > Catwalker piffled away vaguely:

    Just wanted to say the above. Fed up with seeing it on posts.

    Maincat, Apr 22, 2007
  11. Chumble

    Chumble Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

    > How much actually hands-on experience do you have with Windows XP
    > Professional in a Domain environment?

    From an end-user perspective, lots. From an admin perspective, almost none.
    Although I have been acting as 'zero line' desktop support for a couple of
    years, solving the every day problems my colleagues have :)

    I assume you're suggesting that real world experience will make the exam a
    lot easier, and I thoroughly agree. The plan is to pass the (relatively easy)
    70-270 and use that, with my other IT experience, to crack the door open and
    get a job that gives me the 'hands-on' needed to do the later exams. Bit of a
    chicken and egg situation moving IT from hobby to career.

    Chumble, Apr 22, 2007
  12. "Chumble" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
    >
    > > How much actually hands-on experience do you have with Windows XP
    > > Professional in a Domain environment?

    > From an end-user perspective, lots. From an admin perspective, almost none.
    > Although I have been acting as 'zero line' desktop support for a couple of
    > years, solving the every day problems my colleagues have :)
    >
    > I assume you're suggesting that real world experience will make the exam a
    > lot easier, and I thoroughly agree. The plan is to pass the (relatively easy)
    > 70-270 and use that, with my other IT experience, to crack the door open and
    > get a job that gives me the 'hands-on' needed to do the later exams. Bit of a
    > chicken and egg situation moving IT from hobby to career.

    Hmm. Let me ask you this way: how much experience do you have with the
    objectives located
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx#EOE. Because this is
    what you will be tested on. Do not think this exam will be "relatively
    easy" because you have "lots" of end user experience. I have included
    this post in the MCDST newsgroup as well. Some of the posters recently
    took and failed this exam and they have their MCDST certification.

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 22, 2007
  13. Hey i'm being referenced here... I too thought this would be "easy"...WRONG

    BTW just scheduled my 2nd attempt at this test... Due to take it May 2nd

    I think I'll be ready this time...Used a discount code too! $25 off is
    great! I got the code somewhere in these newsgroup boards and i'm glad i
    copied it down...

    Keith Chilton, Apr 22, 2007
  14. Chumble

    Chumble Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
    > Hmm. Let me ask you this way: how much experience do you have with the
    > objectives located
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx#EOE. Because this is
    > what you will be tested on. Do not think this exam will be "relatively
    > easy" because you have "lots" of end user experience. I have included
    > this post in the MCDST newsgroup as well. Some of the posters recently
    > took and failed this exam and they have their MCDST certification.

    I don't expect it to be easy, but "relatively easy" is, well, relative :)
    There are plenty of harder exams out there (IT and otherwise). That said, my
    original estimate of how long I'd need to get up to speed was perhaps a
    little ambitious.

    Is MCDST -> this exam -> MCSA a more common route? I'd been planning to do
    this exam (as I have most experience with win2k/winxpp), then MCDST to meet
    the elective criteria on the MCSA, then the other MCSA exams. Maybe I'm doing
    it backwards.

    Chumble, Apr 22, 2007
  15. "Chumble" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
    > > Hmm. Let me ask you this way: how much experience do you have with the
    > > objectives located
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx#EOE. Because this is
    > > what you will be tested on. Do not think this exam will be "relatively
    > > easy" because you have "lots" of end user experience. I have included
    > > this post in the MCDST newsgroup as well. Some of the posters recently
    > > took and failed this exam and they have their MCDST certification.

    > I don't expect it to be easy, but "relatively easy" is, well, relative :)
    > There are plenty of harder exams out there (IT and otherwise). That said, my
    > original estimate of how long I'd need to get up to speed was perhaps a
    > little ambitious.
    >
    > Is MCDST -> this exam -> MCSA a more common route? I'd been planning to do
    > this exam (as I have most experience with win2k/winxpp), then MCDST to meet
    > the elective criteria on the MCSA, then the other MCSA exams. Maybe I'm doing
    > it backwards.

    To be honest, there is no "recommended" route published by Microsoft to
    achieve a specific certification. It is normal to attempt your first
    exam on the subject that you are most knowledgeable in. In your case,
    this would be Windows XP. My concerns stemmed from your comment of
    "relatively easy". I did not want you to fall victim to the tested
    objectives that may be asked of you in order to successfully negotiate
    this exam. There are some exams that do cross reference each other --
    meaning that it assumes that you have knowledge of a specific technology
    in conjunction with the skills that you are being tested on (e.g.
    Windows 2003 server. You are expected to know how Windows XP operates in
    a Windows 2003 domain environment.)

    Your best course of action in hopes of passing this exam is to review
    the link I provided for this exam. Your goal is to use your past
    experience and knowledge, learn the objectives you are weak on by
    studying and performing hands-on experience. Please read an couple of
    article I wrote on this subject. They can be found
    http://www.certguard.com/Certification-and-Experience.asp and
    http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps-to-Certification-Success.asp. I
    hope you read them and understand my views on the subject. Please let me
    know what you think of them. As an instructor, I am also by default a
    student as well.

    Michael D. Alligood, Apr 22, 2007
  16. Chumble

    catwalker63 Guest

    Maincat piffled away vaguely:

    >> Catwalker piffled away vaguely:

    > Just wanted to say the above. Fed up with seeing it on posts.

    I'll call 9-wa-wa, and get you a wambulance. It's a post
    customization feature of the newsreader, it's not personal, and, for
    those with a sense of humor, it's worth a smile. Your being fed up is
    your decision and will have no affect on me or what I do.

    catwalker63, Apr 22, 2007
  17. Chumble

    Tyler Cobb Guest

    Yup, if I hadn't studied for both the 70-270 and the 70-290 simultaneously,
    I probably wouldn't have passed either. Domain proficiency for either test,
    surprisingly, is a must.

    Tyler Cobb, Apr 23, 2007
  18. Chumble

    Blackmetal Guest

    These exams are from the Administrator point of view not from the user point
    of view, and as Michael said, if you have a lot of user experience, it does
    not mean that you're prepared.

    Focus your study from the Admin perspective.

    Blackmetal, Apr 23, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Q2h1bWJsZQ==?= <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sitting the 70-270 exam next week (my first MS exam). When I
    > booked it a couple of months ago I thought I'd given myself plenty
    > time to study, but work and 'life' stuff has been hectic and I'm not
    > sure I've done enough prep. I'm consistently scoring around 80-85% in
    > practice tests (from various sources, not just the ones supplied with
    > the self-paced training book). Can anyone tell me what the pass % is
    > for the exam? If I'm getting 80% with a week left to plug knowledge
    > gaps, is the exam likely to be passable or should I reschedule?
    >
    > Steve

    Ok, I'll respond to the OP's intent here.

    My thought is that you probably are prepared for this exam. I typically
    take an exam once I begin seeing scores in the range you are receiving. So
    I believe you will likely come close to passing if you do not actually
    pass.

    If you are questioning the strength of your knowledge you should consider
    using the exam insurance microsoft offers. They have a special offer for a
    technet subscription if you use it by the 30th.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/insurance/default.mspx This
    will at least give you the peace of mind knowing you will get a second shot
    if you do not pass on the first try.

    Red Swingline Stapler, Apr 23, 2007
  20. Chumble

    Chumble Guest

    > If you are questioning the strength of your knowledge you should consider
    > using the exam insurance microsoft offers. They have a special offer for a
    > technet subscription if you use it by the 30th.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/insurance/default.mspx This
    > will at least give you the peace of mind knowing you will get a second shot
    > if you do not pass on the first try.

    Hi, thanks for the link, I'll look into that.

    Steve

    Chumble, Apr 23, 2007