    425 and 530. Any suggestions to improve scores to 700 or better to pass. I am
    now Using Kalen Delaney's book and exercises. Any suggestion Would like to go
    back for retake on 10/11/2008
    Alex. O. Koranteng, Oct 2, 2008

  2. "Alex. O. Koranteng" <> wrote in message
    >I have taken exam twice, used Transcender and MeasureUp prep materials, got
    > 425 and 530. Any suggestions to improve scores to 700 or better to pass. I
    > am
    > now Using Kalen Delaney's book and exercises. Any suggestion Would like to
    > go
    > back for retake on 10/11/2008

    While I think Kalen's "Inside SQL Server 2000" book is a must read for any
    MCDBA candidate, and any SQL DBA for that matter, I don't think it's likely
    to help much on the 70-229 (whereas it could be immeasurably beneficial in
    studying for the 70-228).

    If you haven't already spent some time analyzing the Exam Objectives -- that
    should be your first stop:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-229.mspx

    For study materials.. I used the MSPress book
    (http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6800.asp)
    (plus I had about six years of real-world experience writing SQL code and
    working with SQL Server 7/2000/2005).

    For the 70-229, which is focused on developing and implementing =databases=
    (as opposed to administering/managing database =servers and services=), you
    need to be intimately familiar with T-SQL, particularly DDL.

    Also, a key part of the equation is in the exam title
    ==Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    Enterprise Edition==
    Spend some time focusing on those development topics that are exclusive to
    Enterprise Edition.

    The other thing you might search for are archived SQL Server 2000 and SQL
    Server 2005 webcasts on database development. While I'm not familiar with
    what's in the catalog specific to SQL Server 2000, there's about 50 hours of
    on-demand webcasts on general SQL Server development, and SQL Server 2005
    development specifically. If you discount those programming concepts that
    are new to SQL Server 2005, the rest is still 100% applicable to developing
    on SQL Server 2000.

    For example, Kimberly Tripp (http://www.sqlskills.com) did an incredible
    series (15 hours) called "A Primer to Proper SQL Server Development", which
    ought to be required viewing for every database programmer. I highly
    recommend investing the 15 hours as part of your 70-229 prep.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Oct 10, 2008

  3. Lawrence,

    Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I can definitely see why there
    were gaps between my scores and a passing score. The first stop point is the
    Primer you mentioned, the series on "A Primer to Proper SQL Server
    Development" by Kimberly Trip. I went to sqlSkills.com, but could not find.
    Can you kindly point me to where to find it.

    Alex. O. Koranteng, Oct 10, 2008
  4. "Alex. O. Koranteng" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence,
    >
    > Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I can definitely see why there
    > were gaps between my scores and a passing score. The first stop point is
    > the
    > Primer you mentioned, the series on "A Primer to Proper SQL Server
    > Development" by Kimberly Trip. I went to sqlSkills.com, but could not
    > find.
    > Can you kindly point me to where to find it.

    My apologies for misleading you. The SQLSkills.com site is the place to find
    out about Kimberly Tripp.

    The Microsoft MSDN Webcast "A Primer to Proper SQL Server Development" is
    found on the Microsoft Webcasts site.

    The specific link to find the 10 parts of this webcast series is:

    http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/A...uageCode=en;eventType=0;searchcontrol=yes;s=1

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin, Oct 10, 2008
  5. Alex. O. Koranteng

    Renee Guest

    Hi Alex,
    I am just beginning my studies for this exam. This will be tough. Were you
    able to take your exam on 10/11/2008? If so, how did you fare and do you
    have any advice for me on my studies? Wishing you the best, Renee.

    Renee, Oct 27, 2008