70-216? Not that tough.

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Toby Jennings, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. After I earned my MCSE NT 4 back in 2000 I got a little bit lazy. You
    know how it is: the money starts rolling in and you rest on your success
    for a while. Well, I had good intentions. I used a Win95 test for the
    client requirement so I went ahead and took the NT4 Wkstation test so I
    could qualify for the free accelerated Win2k exam...I got the voucher
    but never took the test.

    So now I'm working on upgrading my MCSE:NT4 to MCSE:2k:Security and
    along the way I've earned my MCSA:2k (With that laughable 70-218, I
    couldn't think of a reason not to do it).

    I'm prepping for 70-217 now, and the last exam I wrote was 70-216 on 7/1
    -- the capstone for my MCSA, as it turns out.

    Anyway, leading up to the 70-216, I was getting a little anxious,
    because this is how I study:

    1. Work with the technology.
    2. Use a book to brush up on the MS stuff I don't use (RAS and IAS, for
    instance; I have cisco for that).
    3. Test simulators are expensive. So I don't bother.
    4. Braindumps? Wimps. Seriously, I'd never heard of "testking" before I
    started reading 70-216 horror stories.

    This has worked for every exam I've taken so far, but I started noticing
    a lot of people speaking in hushed tones about 70-216. Heck, even
    Minasi mentioned hearing that "something called 'network infrastructure'
    is hard" in the intro to his (latest edition of) /Mastering Windows
    2000/. Repeatedly, people have mentioned that 70-216 is the hardest of
    the MCSE tests.

    Okay, guys, you got me. I was all worried over nothing. Was that really
    the hardest? Man, this is gonna be a cakewalk. After 70-217, 70-214, and
    70-220 I'll be done with MS exams for a while, and if they're easier
    than 70-216, this ought to be a bagatelle.

    But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? I didn't get a 1000 on
    it, but I nailed it with a 935 (my highest score, excepting 70-218,
    since Internetworking TCP/IP on NT 4, on which I scored 931).

    I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

    Toby Jennings, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Toby Jennings

    catwalker63 Guest

    Toby Jennings <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? I didn't get a 1000
    > on it, but I nailed it with a 935 (my highest score, excepting 70-218,
    > since Internetworking TCP/IP on NT 4, on which I scored 931).
    >
    > I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

    Yeah, but it's ok to brag a little. You should be proud. I got 909
    myself and felt pretty good about it. In the end, though, a pass is a
    pass.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 21, 2005

  3. catwalker63 wrote:
    > Toby Jennings <> prattled ceaslessly in
    >

    >>But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? I didn't get a 1000
    >>on it, but I nailed it with a 935 (my highest score, excepting 70-218,
    >>since Internetworking TCP/IP on NT 4, on which I scored 931).
    >>
    >>I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.
    >>

    > Yeah, but it's ok to brag a little. You should be proud. I got 909
    > myself and felt pretty good about it. In the end, though, a pass is a
    > pass.

    A buddy of mine likes to crow over his "perfect scores" of actual
    score==passing score. A pass is a pass is a pass.

    Toby Jennings, Jul 21, 2005
  4. A cakewalk? Not at all for me, but then I think it will be harder for Small
    Business guys like me who don't touch a whole lot of infrastructure.

    The exam scared me, no doubt. Likewise I have tried to get people not to
    fear it but to give it the respect it deserves. How did I study?

    - Many years working with (much of) the technology involved
    - Went through the Microsoft Official Curriculum for 2153
    - Read the Microsoft Press book on 70-216
    - Went through the Readiness Reviews that came with the MS-Press book
    - Yes, I read a brain dump, but only after a LOT of work towards it and only
    the day before the exam. I agree that people should not study by braindump
    and think that it is a good way to get a cert you don't deserve. However I
    also feel it is a good way to guage if you are really ready if you can read
    the question and answer it before looking at the answer.

    I did not score in the 900s like you guys, and frankly it was my lowest
    (passing) score to date... but I passed it first shot and that's enough for
    me :)

    Now it's time to get off my a$$ and start doing more exams!

    Mitch
    --
    Mitchell D. Garvis, MCSA
    www.e-mitch.com

    Mitch Garvis, MCSA, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Toby Jennings

    catwalker63 Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2ggR2FydmlzLCBNQ1NB?=
    <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > - Yes, I read a brain dump, but only after a LOT of work towards it
    > and only the day before the exam. I agree that people should not
    > study by braindump and think that it is a good way to get a cert you
    > don't deserve. However I also feel it is a good way to guage if you
    > are really ready if you can read the question and answer it before
    > looking at the answer.

    Mitch, I'll be easy on you this time. MS does not tolerate the use of
    braindumps for any reason. There is plenty of material, much of it free,
    to help you prepare and gauge your readiness for an exam. MS reserves
    the right to take your certification away and never let you get another
    from them for using braindumps. Those of us who earned our certs the
    hard way call braindumpers a.s.s.f.u.c.k.e.r.s. You seem to want to do
    the right thing so I'll reserve judgement at this time.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 23, 2005
  6. Hi Cat,

    I agree with you that people who use the exams to pass are a$$fuckers.
    There is a difference between memorizing them and passing based on that, and
    knowing what you are doing, studying for scores of hours after thousands of
    practical real-world hours, then spending an hour reviewing the night before
    an exam. I appreciate your reserving judgement though, and I hope you agree
    that if there is ANY a$$fucker here, it is really only one or two percent a$$
    and the remainder legit MCSA ;)

    Mitchell D. Garvis, MCSA
    www.e-mitch.com

    Mitch Garvis, MCSA, Jul 26, 2005
  7. Toby Jennings

    > Hi Cat,
    >
    > I agree with you that people who use the exams to pass are a$$fuckers.
    > There is a difference between memorizing them and passing based on
    > that, and knowing what you are doing, studying for scores of hours
    > after thousands of practical real-world hours, then spending an hour
    > reviewing the night before an exam. I appreciate your reserving
    > judgement though, and I hope you agree that if there is ANY a$$fucker
    > here, it is really only one or two percent a$$ and the remainder legit
    > MCSA ;)

    I'm just issueing a friendly warning. It is probably not a good idea to
    come into an MS sponsored newsgroup and announce that you are using
    braindumps and post this information using your own name. MS could take
    your certs and prevent you from ever earning another from them. There
    are plenty of legitimate resources out there to teach you what you need
    to know to pass the exams without using cheats.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jul 26, 2005