70-216? Not that tough.

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Toby Jennings, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. After I earned my MCSE NT 4 back in 2000 I got a little bit lazy. You
    know how it is: the money starts rolling in and you rest on your success
    for a while. Well, I had good intentions. I used a Win95 test for the
    client requirement so I went ahead and took the NT4 Wkstation test so I
    could qualify for the free accelerated Win2k exam...I got the voucher
    but never took the test.

    So now I'm working on upgrading my MCSE:NT4 to MCSE:2k:Security and
    along the way I've earned my MCSA:2k (With that laughable 70-218, I
    couldn't think of a reason not to do it).

    I'm prepping for 70-217 now, and the last exam I wrote was 70-216 on 7/1
    -- the capstone for my MCSA, as it turns out.

    Anyway, leading up to the 70-216, I was getting a little anxious,
    because this is how I study:

    1. Work with the technology.
    2. Use a book to brush up on the MS stuff I don't use (RAS and IAS, for
    instance; I have cisco for that).
    3. Test simulators are expensive. So I don't bother.
    4. Braindumps? Wimps. Seriously, I'd never heard of "testking" before I
    started reading 70-216 horror stories.

    This has worked for every exam I've taken so far, but I started noticing
    a lot of people speaking in hushed tones about 70-216. Heck, even
    Minasi mentioned hearing that "something called 'network infrastructure'
    is hard" in the intro to his (latest edition of) /Mastering Windows
    2000/. Repeatedly, people have mentioned that 70-216 is the hardest of
    the MCSE tests.

    Okay, guys, you got me. I was all worried over nothing. Was that really
    the hardest? Man, this is gonna be a cakewalk. After 70-217, 70-214, and
    70-220 I'll be done with MS exams for a while, and if they're easier
    than 70-216, this ought to be a bagatelle.

    But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? I didn't get a 1000 on
    it, but I nailed it with a 935 (my highest score, excepting 70-218,
    since Internetworking TCP/IP on NT 4, on which I scored 931).

    I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

    Toby Jennings, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Toby Jennings

    Wayne Guest

    "Toby Jennings" <> wrote in message
    > But really, for whom was 70-216 a difficult exam? >

    For whom? Desktop and Server Admins who probably have never touched the
    networking side. Creating groups and users, managing printers, etc. For
    them, it's a great test of the most essential services needed for AD,
    specifically DNS.

    > I might sound like I'm bragging here. I probably am.

    Yes. Not everyone has the experienced background you have.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne, Jul 22, 2005

  3. I heard all the horror stories as well so I prepared well. I passed it a year
    ago with a score of 900 from memory. It was a challenging exam but if you
    know networking and DNS, it's straight forward.

    I need to prepare to upgrade from MCSE 2000 to 2003 now.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVuamM=?=, Jul 27, 2005