    or any links to sites

    would greatly appreciate it

    thanks in advance!
    RAY, Jul 8, 2003

  2. i believe you can download subnetting calc
    try
    www.download.com

    "RAY" <> wrote in message
    > hi all
    >
    > am considering taking the 70-215 test soon, but i feel that my tcp ip
    > knowledge isnt going to cut the grade, i seem to faulter with the

    subnetting

    Kian Wah, Lai, Jul 8, 2003

  3. RAY

    Jon Guest

    This may help,

    TCP/IP Binary Math Notes

    The most important thing to remember is 2

    An IP address is 32 bits long composed of four 8-bit
    fields.
    The decimal number in each field ranges from 0-255.

    Binary is a Base2 system VS. Decimal is a Base10 system.
    This means that all binary numbers can be expressed as 2n.
    Which means each 8-bit field matches this chart:
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20
    Use this chart to convert number between decimal and
    binary.
    Example:
    What is the binary value of 153?
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20
    1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
    Or 128+16+8+1=153

    Classes:
    Class A addresses have the highest level bit (27) turned
    off. So the address must be less than 128.
    Class A range = 0-127

    Class B addresses have the highest level bit (27) turned
    on and the 2nd highest-level bit (26) turned off. So the
    addresses will differ from Class A by the first 64 bytes.
    Class B range = 128-191 (127+64=191)

    Class C addresses have the highest level bit (27) and the
    2nd highest-level bit (26) turned on and the 3rd highest-
    level bit (25) turned off. So the addresses will differ
    from Class B by the first 32 bytes.
    Class C range = 192-223 (191+32=223)

    # Of networks and hosts:
    Points to remember
    - The 0. and 127. networks are used for loopback and
    must be subtracted from the Class A networks.
    - Each 8-bit field has a maximum value of 255, but
    to avoid the possibility of all 1’s or all 0’s subtract 2
    when computing the number of networks and hosts.

    Class A
    Net: 0-127= 128-2= 126 networks
    Hosts: 253x253x253=16 million
    Class B
    Net: 128-191=64 (different first bytes) x253=16,000
    networks
    Hosts: 253x253=64,000 hosts
    Class C
    Net: 32 (different first bytes) x253x253=2 million
    Hosts: 253 hosts
    Jon, Jul 8, 2003
  4. RAY

    Zenner Guest

    The only way to get good at subnetting is to do it. There are many subnet
    tutorials on the internet. Use your browser to find them...input "subnet" or
    "subnetting" tutorial or some thing like that ...one of them is bound to
    explain things in a style you can understand. There are many ways to teach
    the same subject, everyone doesn't learn the same way.

    Zenner, Jul 9, 2003
  5. RAY

    licknlabia Guest

    www.learntosubnet.com