70-215 how long to prepare ? (need feedback, please)

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by david fabiani, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Help, please !

    Today at work I have been given the book "MCSE Training Kit -
    Microsoft Windows 2000 server", italian version > 1000 pages, and I
    have been told that :

    1) I have to learn it in 5 days, studying 8 hours a day

    2) After that dead-line, I will be tested (internally, I mean not an
    officail MS exam), with the perspective that if I don't know almost
    perfectly the subject, I'll very likely undergo some form of
    punishment, which might lately lead me to be fired.

    As a mater of fact I AM STUDYING the subject, but realizing that I
    won't be able to get that done in 5 days.

    Consider that I am a programmer (C, C++) and I have no experience at
    all in Windows administration, so I'm starting from scratch.

    My question is : "Do you think that is feasible for me in such a short
    period ?

    If your answer is no, please tell me which in your opinion is an
    appropriate period to learn this topic (70-215 "Installing,
    Configuring and Administering Windows 2000 Server").

    I have been told by a friend of mine who is a system administrator,
    that, in his opinion, a month or more would be a reasonable period I
    might take to learn that book.

    The more people will confirm that, the more successfull I might be
    convincing my boss that what he asked me is unfair, causing him to
    retract and retreat.

    Thanks for your help,

    david
    david fabiani, Nov 7, 2003

  2. david fabiani

    dlw Guest

    No matter how long it takes, turning programmers
    into "paper mcse's" will do the company no good. Use the
    time to work on your resume and look for another job.
    dlw, Nov 7, 2003

  3. david fabiani

    chris Guest

    wow. who is your boss....Il Duce ?

    One month is *way* more realistic.

    chris, Nov 7, 2003
  4. david fabiani

    Consultant Guest

    it sounds as though they want you gone. my advice, start looking for another
    job.

    Consultant, Nov 7, 2003
  5. david fabiani

    YOUNGMAN Guest

    In my opinion, if you have no admin background then coming to terms with
    the many elements of W2k server - Active Directory, Permissions, Dfs,
    RIS and a wealth of others is highly unlikely in such a short period of
    time as 5 days.

    I would suggest that if you are spending 8 hours a day on the subject
    then a period between 2 weeks and a month would allow you to understand
    the subject sufficiently to take a test and possibly sufficient to pass
    a MS exam, dependant upon your ability to take in and retain the
    information.

    Hope this is of help :)

    YOUNGMAN
    Sign up for free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US
    YOUNGMAN, Nov 7, 2003
  6. david fabiani

    Plain Guest

    Two to four weeks is more reasonable time! Do you have
    any experience with XP, Windows 2000 or done any server
    related work? I did in 5 days but I studied for 11-12
    hours day. However, I have many years of working
    experience with servers!

    Plain , Nov 7, 2003
  7. david fabiani

    ffs Guest

    david fabiani wrote:

    > Help, please !
    >
    > Today at work I have been given the book "MCSE Training Kit -
    > Microsoft Windows 2000 server", italian version > 1000 pages, and I
    > have been told that :
    >
    > 1) I have to learn it in 5 days, studying 8 hours a day

    lol

    > 2) After that dead-line, I will be tested (internally, I mean not an
    > officail MS exam), with the perspective that if I don't know almost
    > perfectly the subject, I'll very likely undergo some form of
    > punishment, which might lately lead me to be fired.

    Ask to look at a copy of an old test of the one you'll be sitting so at
    least you'll get an idea of what sorts of questions will be asked or how
    the questions are likely to be written.

    > As a mater of fact I AM STUDYING the subject, but realizing that I
    > won't be able to get that done in 5 days.

    How long have you been studying?

    > Consider that I am a programmer (C, C++) and I have no experience at
    > all in Windows administration, so I'm starting from scratch.
    >
    > My question is : "Do you think that is feasible for me in such a short
    > period ?
    >
    > If your answer is no, please tell me which in your opinion is an
    > appropriate period to learn this topic (70-215 "Installing,
    > Configuring and Administering Windows 2000 Server").

    If you have no experience with the admin side of Windows Server then
    you'll more than the week being given to you by your boss. Depending on
    how you're able to absorb information, a month might not be long enough
    ...... at least not to learn the material properly!

    You'll also need a lab to work with so you know how to use the software.

    /enjoy the next few weeks ;-)

    ffs
    ffs, Nov 8, 2003
  8. david fabiani

    Jeff Rush Guest

    If you are new to the subject 3-4 Weeks with a Lab to train/test in would be
    more reasonable. Less time if you have someone somewhat knowledgable to
    work with.

    But like they said, I'd beef up my resume. If they want you gone this will
    be only the first of many flaming hoops they will put you through until you
    quit or fail and can be fired.

    Some Managers just suck!

    HTH,

    Jeff
    Jeff Rush, Nov 11, 2003
  9. "Jeff Rush" <> wrote in message

    > If you are new to the subject 3-4 Weeks with a Lab to train/test in would

    be
    > more reasonable. Less time if you have someone somewhat knowledgable to
    > work with.
    >
    > But like they said, I'd beef up my resume. If they want you gone this

    will
    > be only the first of many flaming hoops they will put you through until

    you
    > quit or fail and can be fired.
    >
    > Some Managers just suck!
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Jeff

    I just passed 70-215 today. If you've taken 70-210, I don't think it
    requires too much more studying. The subjects I thought were touched on a
    bit more more were: disk management, GPO, NTFS permissions and basic IP
    networking. Other than that, piece of cake....
    Vincent Raicovi, Nov 11, 2003
  10. david fabiani

    Hello Guest

    I Passed all MCSA/MCSE Core and Elective with in 3 weeks
    that too totally 4 days (Each Day 2 Exam) on Single Attempt

    I totally Studied all the Exam in 2 month Time.

    Tips:

    If you prepare 070-210 and 215 together more or less it is
    same subject with some additional server service, you can
    take exam on same day (Morning and Evening)

    If you prepare 070-216 and 218 together (Both are
    networking and some GP concept) more or less it is same
    can take exam on same day (Morning and Evening)

    If you prepare 070-216 and 219 together (Both are dealing
    with AD and GP) more or less it is same can take exam on
    same day (Morning and Evening)

    If you prepare 070-220 and 221 together (Both are dealing
    with Network Design and Security) more or less it is same
    can take exam on same day (Morning and Evening)

    All the best

    Hello, Nov 18, 2003
  11. david fabiani

    Brat Guest

    oh for god's sake... STFU!!

    I'm tired of reading this braindumping crappy post already... once is
    enough!!

    Brat, Nov 18, 2003
  12. I agree.

    Stephen O'Sullivan, Nov 18, 2003