6MP consumer cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Alfred Molon

    Mark B. Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
    > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
    > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
    > the moment.
    > --

    There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
    manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 15, 2003

  3. Alfred Molon

    Paul Guest

    >There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
    >manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.
    >
    >Mark

    I agree, and funny. Unless it's the ones touting the 5mp cams!

    Paul, Nov 15, 2003
  4. Alfred Molon

    Brownie Guest

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
    > > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
    > > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
    > > the moment.
    > > --

    > There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
    > manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

    But aren't some of the 4 and 5 MP cameras squeezing as much as possible out
    of CCD's that were designed for 3MP cameras?

    Brownie, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Alfred Molon

    VT Guest

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:31:35 GMT, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
    >? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
    >Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
    >the moment.

    While not disagreeing with you in any way -

    the majority of the consumer market are happy with 6x4 prints and
    "true photo" quality was reached at the 2Mp level @ 300ppi.

    3Mp seems to give "good" or at least acceptable 10x8 @ 200ppi - which
    is both the concensus here, and now in the popular publications like
    "Popular Photography".

    So 4 and 5Mp are considered "enthusiast" level for larger than 10x8
    prints.

    Also there might be the need for marketing "differentiation" between
    the DSLR's 6Mp and the consumer p&s style cameras.

    So the market might be slow to give more Mps in the typical consumer
    p&s style digicams.

    However once one manufacturer breaks the barrier - it may cause the
    others to follow suit and we'd see the 6Mp and beyond... just like
    35mm p&s seemed to get better and better, until digital surpassed it
    in popularity.

    I would love to see 7-8 Mp (10x8 at 300ppi) available at the compact
    consumer p&s level - which would mean any photos I take with the
    digicam I carry would produce print quality that matches the bulkier
    more serious kit I may have left at home........
    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHES for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

    VT, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Alfred Molon

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
    > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
    > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
    > the moment.

    Sony is about to release the 828. 8Mp based on the 717

    Jim Townsend, Nov 15, 2003
  7. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:15:13 -0000, "Brownie"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mark B." <> wrote in message
    >> "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
    >> > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
    >> > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
    >> > the moment.
    >> > --

    >> There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
    >> manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

    >But aren't some of the 4 and 5 MP cameras squeezing as much as possible out
    >of CCD's that were designed for 3MP cameras?

    Kind of, the reports on the G5 (5MP) seemed to suggest it was "worse"
    that the G2/G3 on quality, especially on colour fringing as the
    physical size of the sensor was the same, just more sensels packed in.

    Unless someone comes up with a totaly new way of making the sensors,
    or somehow curves the substrate then fringing will get worse the more
    dense the sensors... However I'm sure that it must be possible to
    process in the camera, or the transfer programs to eliminate fringing
    automatically as apposed to having to use plugins in photoshop.

    --
    Jonathan Wilson.
    www.somethingerotic.com

    Jonathan Wilson, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Alfred Molon

    Double D Guest

    6 MP consumer camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D)
    6 MP prosumer camera: Canon EOS 10D

    Double D, Nov 28, 2003