6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Preddy, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. In article <060220041927201640%>, sjs031

    http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    > > I agree, and I would like to see George mimick
    > > this image as close as possible with his Sigma,
    > > just to compare.

    Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so it's
    is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...

    http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    George Preddy, Feb 7, 2004

  2. George Preddy

    Crownfield Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > In article <060220041927201640%>, sjs031
    > <> wrote:
    > > In article <iZRUb.7980$IF1.2536@fed1read01>, AArDvarK
    > > <> wrote:

    > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    >
    > > > I agree, and I would like to see George mimick
    > > > this image as close as possible with his Sigma,
    > > > just to compare.

    > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so it's
    > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    > napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    what faded colors...

    Crownfield, Feb 7, 2004

  3. George Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    it's
    > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table

    ^^ Has to make excuses^^

    Alan D-W, Feb 7, 2004
  4. "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > George Preddy wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <060220041927201640%>, sjs031
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > In article <iZRUb.7980$IF1.2536@fed1read01>, AArDvarK
    > > > <> wrote:

    > > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    > > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    it's
    > > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    > > napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    > what faded colors...

    Canon is not competive.

    George Preddy, Feb 8, 2004
  5. "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    > it's
    > > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table

    > ^^ Has to make excuses^^

    The very blurry 6MP Canon 10D is not competive, not even remotely. The
    10.3MP Sigma carries at least 4X the optical color resolution due to design
    efficiencies on top on its huge sensor count advantage, as anyone can
    plainly see...

    George Preddy, Feb 8, 2004
  6. George Preddy

    sjs031 Guest

    In article <c03tu2$bvc$>, George Preddy
    <> wrote:

    > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    > > it's
    > > > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table

    > > ^^ Has to make excuses^^

    > The very blurry 6MP Canon 10D is not competive, not even remotely. The
    > 10.3MP Sigma carries at least 4X the optical color resolution due to design
    > efficiencies on top on its huge sensor count advantage, as anyone can
    > plainly see...
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    Right. My jelly bean shot is soooooooo blurry compared to your
    gumdrops. Puh-leaze! The image size, measured in pixels, is also
    substantially larger than yours as well, so that whole 10 Megapixel
    crap can just take a vacation too.

    Mine *is* bigger than yours!

    You are every bit the cognitively dissonant kook people have said you
    are.

    What's the weather like, up your own ass?

    Wow. Poking fun at George Preddy really is enjoyable!

    George, don't change......we love you the way you are.

    -Steve

    sjs031, Feb 8, 2004
  7. George Preddy wrote:

    > The very blurry 6MP Canon 10D is not competive, not even remotely. The
    > 10.3MP Sigma carries at least 4X the optical color resolution due to design
    > efficiencies on top on its huge sensor count advantage, as anyone can
    > plainly see...
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    THe problem is, the Foveon design requires three times as many sensors
    to make one pixel. Thus, you have 10M photo sensors covering only 3.3 M
    pixels.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 8, 2004
  8. George Preddy

    Crownfield Guest

    George Preddy wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > George Preddy wrote:

    > > > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    > > > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    > it's
    > > > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    > > > napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    > > what faded colors...

    > Canon is not competive.

    but it certainly makes the faded colors of the sigma look poor.
    naturally, they are poor.

    Crownfield, Feb 8, 2004
  9. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    that:

    >In article <060220041927201640%>, sjs031
    ><> wrote:
    >> In article <iZRUb.7980$IF1.2536@fed1read01>, AArDvarK
    >> <> wrote:

    >http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    >
    >> > I agree, and I would like to see George mimick
    >> > this image as close as possible with his Sigma,
    >> > just to compare.

    >Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so it's
    >is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    >napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    Man, what an ugly, low-resolution, low-contrast photo. Have you *ever*
    taken a photo that's actually worth looking at?
    And how come you shot jujubes instead of jelly beans? - Too scared that
    your SD9 shot would look crap if you made it too similar to the 10D
    image? Or are you so blind that you thought that they /were/ jelly
    beans?

    And when are you going to post a high-ISO SD9 night shot, seeing as you
    claim that the SD9 is less noisy than a 10D?

    Lionel, Feb 8, 2004
  10. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    that:

    >"Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    >> George Preddy wrote:

    >> > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    >> > Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    >it's
    >> > is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    >> > napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    >> >
    >> > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    >> what faded colors...

    >Canon is not competive.

    Only in the sense that the SD9 isn't even in the race.

    Lionel, Feb 8, 2004
  11. "sjs031" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c03tu2$bvc$>, George Preddy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    so
    > > > it's

    table

    > > > ^^ Has to make excuses^^

    > > The very blurry 6MP Canon 10D is not competive, not even remotely. The
    > > 10.3MP Sigma carries at least 4X the optical color resolution due to

    design
    > > efficiencies on top on its huge sensor count advantage, as anyone can
    > > plainly see...
    > >
    > > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium
    > >

    > Right. My jelly bean shot is soooooooo blurry compared to your
    > gumdrops.

    Its ok, but has maybe 25% the optical resolution. The beans are really
    fuzzy sts.

    > Puh-leaze! The image size, measured in pixels, is also
    > substantially larger than yours as well, so that whole 10 Megapixel
    > crap can just take a vacation too.
    >
    > Mine *is* bigger than yours!

    Your beans are fuzzy. Especially the red ones.

    George Preddy, Feb 8, 2004
  12. Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    "Lionel" <> wrote in message
    > Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    > that:
    >
    > >In article <060220041927201640%>, sjs031
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> In article <iZRUb.7980$IF1.2536@fed1read01>, AArDvarK
    > >> <> wrote:

    > >http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    > >Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    it's
    > >is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    > >napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    > >
    > >http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    > Man, what an ugly, low-resolution, low-contrast photo.

    Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium

    George Preddy, Feb 8, 2004
  13. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > George Preddy wrote:
    >
    > > The very blurry 6MP Canon 10D is not competive, not even remotely. The
    > > 10.3MP Sigma carries at least 4X the optical color resolution due to

    design
    > > efficiencies on top on its huge sensor count advantage, as anyone can
    > > plainly see...
    > >
    > > http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium
    > >

    > THe problem is, the Foveon design requires three times as many sensors
    > to make one pixel. Thus, you have 10M photo sensors covering only 3.3 M
    > pixels.

    The true problem is not using sensors to make a pixel.

    George Preddy, Feb 8, 2004
  14. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    that:

    >"Lionel" <> wrote in message
    >> Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    >> >Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    >it's
    >> >is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    >> >napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    >> >
    >> >http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    >> Man, what an ugly, low-resolution, low-contrast photo.

    >Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium

    Not according to the EXIF data on that photo:
    ----------
    Full EXIF Info
    Date/Time 07-Feb-2004 21:53:38
    Make Sigma
    Model SD9
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 60 mm
    Exposure Time 1/180 sec
    Aperture f/11
    ISO Equivalent 100
    Exposure Bias -3
    White Balance (-1)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program manual (1)
    ----------------
    Another lie from Preddy - Gee, what a surprise.

    Lionel, Feb 8, 2004
  15. Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    > "Lionel" <> wrote in message
    > > Kibo informs me that "George Preddy" <> stated
    > > that:

    > > >http://homepage.mac.com/sjs/Jelly_Beans.jpg

    > > >Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so

    > it's
    > > >is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    > > >napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    > > >
    > > >http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    > > Man, what an ugly, low-resolution, low-contrast photo.

    > Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium

    I agree with Berny Meyer's comment on that page.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Feb 8, 2004
  16. George Preddy

    Larry Guest

    Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Not according to the EXIF data on that photo:
    > ----------
    > Full EXIF Info
    > Date/Time 07-Feb-2004 21:53:38
    > Make Sigma
    > Model SD9
    > Flash Used Yes
    > Focal Length 60 mm
    > Exposure Time 1/180 sec
    > Aperture f/11
    > ISO Equivalent 100
    > Exposure Bias -3
    > White Balance (-1)
    > Metering Mode matrix (5)
    > JPEG Quality (6)
    > Exposure Program manual (1)
    > ----------------
    > Another lie from Preddy - Gee, what a surprise.

    I wonder if pbase is at all interested in the fact that some photos are
    blatant missrepresentations as to what they are???

    Larry
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 8, 2004
  17. George Preddy

    Alan D-W Guest

    > Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium

    Yes dear George, It's bloody horrible crap. And a glance at the EXIF
    explains why.
    (In order to show a horrible picture Georgy Boy has to use an SD9, but he
    lies and say it was taken with a Canon.)

    Alan D-W, Feb 8, 2004
  18. George Preddy

    Guest

    Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    In message <4026622b$0$10339$>,
    "Alan D-W" <> wrote:

    >"George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    >> http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium
    >>

    >Yes dear George, It's bloody horrible crap. And a glance at the EXIF
    >explains why.
    >(In order to show a horrible picture Georgy Boy has to use an SD9, but he
    >lies and say it was taken with a Canon.)

    The "original" on pbase is upsized to 3024*2016, so he softened it as
    well as mis-labelled it. The "original" also has heavy JPEG
    artifacting.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Feb 8, 2004
  19. "George Preddy" <> wrote:

    ... snip ...
    >Ok. This is straight out of camera, but not shot with a macro lens so it's
    >is pretty blurry for an Sigma image. The background is a paper table
    >napkin, field of view is about 5 inches...
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/25834826/medium

    Hi George,
    Every time but one that I look at a picture you post it is very soft and
    you have an excuse for it.
    It that because of the camera or the photographer?
    Thanks
    Mike Johnston

    Mike Johnston, Feb 8, 2004
  20. George Preddy

    Lionel Guest

    Re: 6MP Canon challenges 10.3MP Sigma SD9 (Preddy kook)

    Kibo informs me that stated that:

    >In message <4026622b$0$10339$>,
    >"Alan D-W" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Here is the same scene as shot with a Canon 10D...
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/image/25866337/medium
    >>>

    >>Yes dear George, It's bloody horrible crap. And a glance at the EXIF
    >>explains why.
    >>(In order to show a horrible picture Georgy Boy has to use an SD9, but he
    >>lies and say it was taken with a Canon.)

    >The "original" on pbase is upsized to 3024*2016, so he softened it as
    >well as mis-labelled it. The "original" also has heavy JPEG
    >artifacting.

    At least that's a reasonable facsimile of the SD9s aliasing.

    Lionel, Feb 8, 2004