    TIA

    --
    To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
    Jimbob, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Jimbob

    kerazee Guest

    Hi,
    Can i suggest you look at a 6800LE with that sort of money, as you have
    already noticed the 9800 has 256bit memory bus width as does the 6800LE
    which gives a significant performance increase over the 6600GT at high
    res/aa and af.

    Right the comparison with the 9800PRO compaired with the 6800LE, the 6800 is
    one of the next gen gpu's like the X800's now with the 6800LE there is a
    very good chance with using riva tuner that all the locked pixel pipelines
    and vertex shaders can be unlocked (softmod no soldering needed just some
    tweaking using the afore mentioned program) to give you a 6800GT (obviously
    completely different league to the 6600GT and the 9800PRO)

    At the end of the day if you go for the 6800LE you will be getting a better
    card than the 9800PRO and the 6600GT even if it does not unlock to give you
    a monster card ; )

    Here is a link to where i bought my 6800LE for just over £150 inc vat :

    http://order247.co.uk/products.asp?dept=6&pagenumber=3

    second from the bottom.

    And a good forum where you can get advice on the unlocking and read others
    advice under the graphics carg section :

    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

    Good luck.

    "Jimbob" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking into getting a new g/card to replace my mx440, i have around
    > £150 to spend. I was initially going to get a radeon 9800 pro 128mb
    > http://tinyurl.com/6qhwx but after some research the newish 6600gt 128mb

    is

    kerazee, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    kerazee wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Can i suggest you look at a 6800LE with that sort of money, as
    > you have already noticed the 9800 has 256bit memory bus width as does
    > the 6800LE which gives a significant performance increase over the
    > 6600GT at high res/aa and af.
    >
    > Right the comparison with the 9800PRO compaired with the 6800LE, the
    > 6800 is one of the next gen gpu's like the X800's now with the 6800LE
    > there is a very good chance with using riva tuner that all the locked
    > pixel pipelines and vertex shaders can be unlocked (softmod no
    > soldering needed just some tweaking using the afore mentioned
    > program) to give you a 6800GT (obviously completely different league
    > to the 6600GT and the 9800PRO)
    >
    > At the end of the day if you go for the 6800LE you will be getting a
    > better card than the 9800PRO and the 6600GT even if it does not
    > unlock to give you a monster card ; )
    >
    > Here is a link to where i bought my 6800LE for just over £150 inc vat
    > :
    >
    > http://order247.co.uk/products.asp?dept=6&pagenumber=3
    >
    > second from the bottom.
    >
    > And a good forum where you can get advice on the unlocking and read
    > others advice under the graphics carg section :
    >
    > http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/
    >
    > Good luck.

    Hi Kerazee

    Thanks for the link, the card is nice and cheap, just how i like em.

    I'm not really into overclocking, how hard would it be to 'unlock' those
    pipelines, and why are they locked in the first place?
    Would this mess with the warranty or could it make the card faulty?

    TIA

    --
    To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
    Jimbob, Jan 3, 2005