6600 video card install

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Sean Cleary, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    I may be doing things wrong.
    The card came from Ebay with no instructions on how to install.
    It has a connector like the ones on a hard drive. I did not hook this
    up.
    When I plugged in the power, the sound hole on the card screamed. I
    checked by plugging it up with my finger.
    I fail to rememer, I hope that it was after turning on the computer.
    but maybe it was just power, which would be strange.

    Ok, should I get such a plug and use it?

    Sean

    PS I have passed my A+ cert last spring. I have not gotten a job,
    maybe age discrimination, maybe lousy economy. I still have many
    materials, just do not know what to do with them.

    The little cheep tests bought on internet with the strange questions
    that got me all over the net for finding out stuff were helpful. The 5
    different book question sets my community college teacher gave me were
    helpful. Remember that you will need some network knowledge too.

    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Apr 18, 2009

  2. Sean Cleary

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:21:48 -0700 (PDT), Sean Cleary
    <> wrote:

    >I may be doing things wrong.
    >The card came from Ebay with no instructions on how to install.
    >It has a connector like the ones on a hard drive. I did not hook this
    >up.

    You should. A high end video card has an extra power socket
    because it consumes more power than the motherboard connector can
    (safely) carry. (Regardless of it being PCI, AGP, PCIe, etc.)

    >When I plugged in the power, the sound hole on the card screamed.

    You mean: the fan on the GPU started blowing ?
    Don't obstruct it, that will harm your video card.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Apr 18, 2009