    Will a 32 bit application (Games or Office Product) run as good on a 64 bit
    computer as it does on the 32 bit machines.

    Thanks
    JCO, Sep 26, 2005

  2. JCO

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "JCO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Will the current Windows XP run on a 64 bit machine or will we have to
    > wait
    > until the OS has be recompiled for 64 bits? If it does run, will it run
    > as
    > good as it would if it was running on a 32 bit machine.
    >
    > Will a 32 bit application (Games or Office Product) run as good on a 64
    > bit
    > computer as it does on the 32 bit machines.
    >
    > Thanks

    Windows XP Home/Pro/MCE will all run just fine on either and AMD or Intel 64
    bit processor.

    You will not have to "wait" for the OS to be recompiled.

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has been available for several months,
    as an OEM purchase only (meaning you must buy it along with a qualifying
    piece of hardware and all support for the OS is provided by the vendor you
    buy it from).

    You can check Newegg for it.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 26, 2005

  3. JCO

    zekolas Guest

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > "JCO" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>Will a 32 bit application (Games or Office Product) run as good on a 64
    >>bit
    >>computer as it does on the 32 bit machines.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    I have been running windows XP 64 for a couple months now and I think it
    runs just as good or better than the 32 bit version of XP. Most 32 bit
    software will run on it, office, firefox, thunderbird, java, quicken,
    adobe products ect. As far as games most newer games run on it. I have
    played Civ3, black and white, Halo, doom3 all work fine. However some
    older games like command an conquor I could not get to work.
    zekolas, Sep 26, 2005
  4. JCO

    Randy Guest

    I've installed both XP Pro and Server 2003 x32 versions on my 64-bit system
    (Intel Xeon), and both run just as if it were a 32-bit system. I've also run
    Linspire Live from a bootable CD on it absolutely fine. And Bart's PE
    Builder and a few other bootable utilities also worked fine on it (virus
    scanning, etc.). Why would you care? In case you format such a system with
    the NTFS format and need to repair it when the OS won't boot. ;~) Might be
    notable that neither Norton System Works Premium 2005, Fix-It Utils'
    emergency disk, nor PowerWash Util Disk would boot... all likely due to
    using a SATA boot disk than to 64-bit system.

    Randy, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Most 32 bit applications run just fine on applications, but some of those
    32-bit apps use 16-bit installers, so its tricky to assume that all of them
    run on x64. The platform I would say is just as good or probably superior
    than 32-bit Windows because of the vast amounts of memory it can take
    advantage of.

    To say if Windows x64 is right for you really depends on what you plan on
    utilizing the power of the platform, by understanding its weaknesses and its
    advantages.

    Games:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY1

    x64 FAQs by Charlie Russel:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 26, 2005
  6. JCO

    JCO Guest

    Thanks for letting me know what will run.
    I wonder if Everquest will run on the 64 bit okay? How can I find out.

    JCO, Sep 27, 2005
  7. JCO

    JCO Guest

    At this point, I was just planning on building a 64 bit machine but I'm
    still planning on using the current Windows XP Pro, Norton Systemworks 2005,
    MS OfficeXP, maybe a few Adware utilities. After that, it is intended to
    be a gaming computer, for a friend. I suspect everything else will be games
    such as Everquest and Doom.

    I suspect he (we) will put a 64 bit OS on sometime later... when it becomes
    readably available.

    JCO, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Josh Yates-Walker, Sep 27, 2005
  9. JCO

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: 64Bit vs 32bit issues

    I got X64 and a mb at an AMD show recently - brought it home, set it up -
    and having a lot of application problems.
    My DVD and my Sony CDRW show as only CDROM's.
    Adobe installed / works OK, but Norton - won't install - tells me to buy
    the 64 bit version.
    Since CD driver issues, Nero won't work.

    Other issues too, but just wanted to note that it's not as graceful as one
    would think from reading here.
    I'm back on my Win2K box.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Oct 31, 2005
  10. JCO

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: 64Bit vs 32bit issues

    Even on x86 CDRW will report as CDROM, I have two, but they work as RW. As
    to Norton, I have NEVER seen that posted positively, Nero works except for
    the INCD for most, unless you have a really OLD version. I think most posts
    are pretty fair about the system. Just a few enthusiasts seem to gloss over
    problem areas. It is not a very good desktop system yet as there are still
    lots of driver and software issues.

    John Barnes, Oct 31, 2005
  11. JCO

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: 64Bit vs 32bit issues

    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > Even on x86 CDRW will report as CDROM, I have two, but they work as RW.

    As
    > to Norton, I have NEVER seen that posted positively, Nero works except for
    > the INCD for most, unless you have a really OLD version. I think most

    posts
    > are pretty fair about the system. Just a few enthusiasts seem to gloss

    over
    > problem areas. It is not a very good desktop system yet as there are

    still
    > lots of driver and software issues.

    Agreed - and I just got an email from AMD/MS. They have the server packages
    back in stock. I have enough issues with the desktop version so will pass on
    the server - seems like it's gonna be a while ( if ever) getting heritage
    devices/ apps to work.

    - Bobb -, Oct 31, 2005