    performance on very large projects is unacceptable for my friends company.

    Thanks for any advice,
    Keri

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005

  2. A lot of applications supporting x64 are mainly animation applications such
    as Sonar and Lightwave 3D and they are still in beta, hopefully over time we
    will see applications that can take at advantage of 64 bit power written
    specifically for platform.

    The problem is, it takes time, the operating system was only released 2
    months ago.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    If you happen to be using an Intel processor, search the Intel software
    solutions catalog. These are vendors that either use Intel compilers or call
    into the Intel performance libraries.
    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/catalog/index.htm

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Yes, I am currently using an Intel 630 on a Abit AG8.
    The Hyperthreading seems to improve the video editing compared to an AMD64
    3000 on a DFI Lanparty NF4. Not a great deal faster, but smoother and fewer
    errors.
    Other than the video editing, the AMD system seemed faster and ran much
    cooler.

    Thanks for the link,
    Keri

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:49:14 -0700, "Keri"
    <> wrote:

    Well, you got Windows Movie Maker <evil grin>

    A friend of mine has Canopus Edius Pro and he brought it along to try
    on my system to see if it would install. The software runs. I can
    capture via the built-in firewire, but for some reason the program
    seemed to freeze every 15 minutes or so for a bit (but not always). It
    could do all kind of effects in real-time. But unfortunately for him,
    Canopus doesn't have 64-bit drivers for his hardware.
    Avid Xpress Pro won't install, which is a pity so I have to keep
    running that one on xp32.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jul 5, 2005
  6. As I recall, the AMD64 3000 does not support hyperthreading. You are
    correct that the AMD64 seems faster and it does run much cooler. Wait until
    you try the dual-core Athlon 64 x2!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 5, 2005
  7. Keri,

    I'm running Adobe's Premier Pro 1.5.1. It's 32-bit. The only problem that
    I've heard of so far is that some people are having difficulties with DVD
    burning from within Ppro.

    You can download the tryout from their website. But note that the trial
    will not burn a DVD. That's the only part that's crippled due to some
    licensing restrictions.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jul 5, 2005
  8. But it supports a similar technology called Hyper Transport.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 5, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    If i remember correctly hyper transport and hyper threading are 2 totaly
    different technologies all together,

    hyper threading will allow the the parts of the processor thats not being
    utilitised to be utilitised at the same time

    hyper transport is more a faster bus to provide a faster way of commicating
    between the processor, memory and other areas of the PC

    (anyone if something is wrong feal free to correct it)

    DKI, Jul 5, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Sean M Guest

    Not to sound like an English teacher, but the proper spelling of 'feal'
    is 'feel', in this case anyways. Other than that, I was about to respond to
    this post with exactly the same thing. IIRC HyperTransport is a way of
    decoupling the motherboard bus speed with the CPU bus speed as well.

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jul 5, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    DKI Guest

    Thanks for pointing the spelling mistake out. then again I should double
    check before posting.

    DKI, Jul 5, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Sean M Guest

    Technical description of HyperTransport (for the curious):
    http://www.hypertransport.org/tech/index.cfm

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jul 5, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    To be fair, if you are interested in the Intel technical details:
    http://or1cedar.intel.com/media/training/intro_ht_dt_v1/tutorial/index.htm

    Intel_Fan, Jul 5, 2005
  14. Thanks for clearing that up.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 5, 2005
  15. HyperTransport is not at all like hyperthreading, although I used to think
    so because of the similarity of the name. Follow this link for the overview
    (and more if you like): http://www.hypertransport.org/tech/index.cfm. I was
    reading just today and it is an eye-opener. It seems Intel is two-years out
    from a similar technology.

    This seems to be the technology that is responsible for the AMD 64 chip's
    famed "efficiency".

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2005
  16. In fact Hypertransport can do away with the traditional Northbridge and
    Southbridge chips. It is the next generation after PCI-Express. Bus speeds
    are hitting 2Ghz with the 2.0 version of the protocols. See:

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?S2VyaQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    That IS very informative and impressive. Also interesting that a lot of
    folks are feverishly claiming that Intel is behind AMD because of this and
    yet nowhere on AMD website could I find any claim that AMD invented it.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699_7981^2353,00.html

    states that this technology was developed AT (as opposed to BY) AMD with
    contributions from industry partners. True AMD is the founding member of the
    HyperTransport Consortium that owns the trademark but still interesting that
    they don't seem to claim responsibility for inventing it.

    This seems to be a peripheral enhancement and not exactly a processor
    innovation. AMD got their start with shift registers and memory. Increasing
    data throughput is essential to overall performance and memory bandwidth has
    been a bottleneck for a long time. This is cool stuff.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 6, 2005
  18. I think it is more that AMD was a founding member of the consortium by the
    time it began work on the Athlon and Opteron 64 chips and incorporated the
    technology. I still don't know why Intel did not simply join the
    Consortium. There must be some industrial politics there.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 6, 2005
  19. > higher-end company like Pinnacle

    Pfft! Therein lies the fallacy.

    Homer J. Simpson, Jul 6, 2005
  20. Great information guys, thanks.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 6, 2005