64bit Trialware not working

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. I downloaded the xppro64 trialware at :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx

    After downloading the file (572,022kb) - named WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso,
    I burned it to a CD per the instructions.

    Per the instructions I received via the email, I put the CD into my CD ROM,
    and when it opened, I had the 1 file WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso. Nothing
    started, directly contrary to what the email stated would happen. I opened
    the CD ROM and there was no setup.exe file, as the email stated there would
    be (nor was there one when I downloaded the trialware (as I stated, the
    download only resulted in 1 file: WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso).

    So, Im completely stuck, I cannot execute or do anything with the
    WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso file, and therefore I cannot upgrade to the trial
    software. I do not know how to write a file to RAW format, so if that is
    what I need to do, someone please help me. Basically, I dragged the single
    downloaded file to my CDRW drive and then selected, write file - it was or at
    least seemed successful, the CD file is identical to the downloaded file.

    I then tried re-formatting my HDD and inserting the CD into my CD ROM and
    restarting the computer, forcing it to boot from the CD ROM, and I got the
    Non-System Disk Error with a full halt.

    Below are the relavent parts of the email MS sent me to start the
    trial-absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated:

    Installation Instructions

    The following steps summarize the installation process. More detailed
    step-by-step installation and configuration instructions are available in the
    readme.htm file included with the software.

    To install the trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial
    Software Kit:

    1. Download the ISO image file from the URL in the Getting Started section
    below and save the file to your hard disk.

    2. Using a CD-RW drive and software, burn the ISO image of Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition to a blank CD. Most CD burning software will
    recognize an ISO file. If your software does not recognize this format, you
    can burn it as a raw data file.

    3. Insert the CD you burned into the CD-ROM drive of the computer on which
    you want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

    4. The Setup file on the CD should open automatically. If it does not, in
    Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD to begin installation and follow
    the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.

    If the download prematurely terminates or the size of the downloaded ISO
    file is not between 550 and 600 MB, you will need to restart the download
    process.

    Getting Started

    1. Click the link below to begin your download.

    The approximate size of this download is 575 MB.

    Estimated download time:
    56K Modem - 21 hours (Not Recommended)
    T1/DSL - 48 minutes (Recommended)

    2. The Product Key needed to install the software can be obtained from the
    Microsoft Customer Service Site URL below.

    Version: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, 120-day Evaluation (English)

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=, Sep 18, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=

    Clayton Guest

    When you look on the disk what do you see? a bunch of files and folders? or

    Clayton, Sep 18, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=

    Guest

    Hi,
    I don't know are you or do you use some kind of CD/DVD burning
    application, but you have to download someone.
    Ultimate CD/DVD Burner 3.0 or Nero Burning ROM but I don't know if
    there is a x64 version.
    And U have to burne the image (.iso) file not by dragging it to the
    CDRW drive but choosing a burn image from the software for wurning CD/
    DVD's. otherwise your installation won't start.

    , Sep 18, 2007
  4. Ronis wrote:

    >I downloaded the xppro64 trialware at :
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx
    >
    >After downloading the file (572,022kb) - named WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso,
    >I burned it to a CD per the instructions.
    >
    >Per the instructions I received via the email, I put the CD into my CD ROM,
    >and when it opened, I had the 1 file WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso.

    If you see the ISO on the CD, then it has _not_ been "burned as per the
    instructions". ISO files are an image of a CD (like a Ghost backup of a
    hard drive is a file), and cannot simply be drag'n'dropped to writeable
    media, nor burned to a "data" CD.

    You *must* find the option in your burning software to "burn image" or
    "burn ISO to CD". This should ask you for the ISO file, and create a CD
    that show the contents of the ISO (not the ISO itself).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 18, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As recommended by Dennis Pack
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

    John Barnes, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Thank you all, problem solved. As you all suspected, I had not burned the
    file as an ISO rather as a data file. Reburning as an ISO/Image File was the
    trick.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=, Sep 18, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Um9uaXM=?=

    Clayton Guest

    Goodluck with the install etc, let us know how it works out

    Clayton, Sep 18, 2007