    Regards,

    Terry Smythe
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Terry Smythe, Oct 24, 2009

  2. Terry Smythe

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 24/10/2009 in message <9iIEm.44338$> Terry Smythe
    wrote:

    >Local vendors seem unable to answer this one - Is the Win 7 Home Edition
    >available in 64bit?
    >
    >I'm running WinXP Pro in a computer that has 8 gigs of memory installed,
    >but I can only see 3.5 gigs of it. What is the least costly 64bit
    >version which can access all 8 gigs?

    I have the retail version of Home Premium on my laptop and that came with
    2 x DVDs, 1 32 bit and the other 64bit. The message is clear, MSFT want us
    to move to 64 bit computing...

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his
    Jeff Gaines, Oct 24, 2009

  3. Home Premium is both x86 (32-bit) & x64 (64-bit).

    Home Basic and Starter are x86 (32-bit) only.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 24, 2009
  4. Terry Smythe

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <#>,
    says...

    > Home Premium is both x86 (32-bit) & x64 (64-bit).
    > Home Basic and Starter are x86 (32-bit) only.

    Interesting,
    Vista 64 came for both Home Basic and Home Premium.
    Basic could manage 8GB, Premium 16 GB.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.
    Poutnik, Oct 24, 2009
  5. I don't know about Vista because I never used it. But there is only a
    32-bit Home Basic available for download, so I'm assuming there isn't a
    64-bit Home Basic. Neither Best Buy nor NewEgg list a Home Basic for sale.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 24, 2009
  6. Terry Smythe

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Terry
    any 64 bit version will be fine
    Windows 7 home 64 bit will do the trick.

    Kue2, Oct 25, 2009
  7. Terry Smythe

    Terry Smythe Guest

    Terry Smythe wrote:

    > Is the Win 7 Home Edition
    > available in 64bit?

    In our local Future Shop, they have all version of Win7 out on display,
    all empty boxes, labeled (Display Only", with no hint of what is
    actually inside the box. Finally got someone to pull a live one out
    of secure storage and sure enough, just as others have indicated, the
    live Win7 Home Premium box had on it a sticker - "Contains 2 DVD's -
    32bit and 64bit". It's the 64bit I need for my 8 gigs of memory, so
    walked away with it. Many thanks for the advice by all, appreciated.

    Regards,

    Terry
    Terry Smythe, Oct 25, 2009