64bit Great and evil too.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Yess at long last the 64bit is here, put together a XP64 OS with a EMT64 Xeon
    Chip set. Great, I work in the engineering design industry using solidworks
    (3D program) at last can put in 6gig of ram and use it. HOLD IT STOP THERE.
    yess Its great that I can run that program and full speed, but what about
    every other program I use, and lets not forget the hardware, even MS
    hardware, NOPE!!!!!

    lets start basic, eak a high end mouse and keyboard somewhat new and still
    in production, both of them Microsoft hardware, well the software to use
    their special function wont work on XP64, called microsoft, "sorry we have no
    plans to support software for that hardware" ok i started going through
    their web page, trying to find hardware with software for the 64bit, : )*
    good luck Im still looking.

    next was to call my Blue tooth Co up for my cell phone and PDA connection,
    they do plan to have drivers and to work with it, but don't look for it this
    year! eak

    Next was my Symantec for the network virus protection that runs on our
    network. Wow, they had Second Program that I had to install on my system to
    run it, Great, HOLD IT...... Well with our system the Updates come from
    the 32 Bit network, well the Program I had to use will not talk to it, so I
    can not update.

    Ok this is going good..... : (

    next We have Kyocera mita printers and copiers, after contacting them and
    sounding like Im talking to a bunch of cave men, 'whats a 64bit system"
    from a program tech. and after a few calls to them, don't plan to see a
    driver for the next year or more! eak OMG.

    yea! Great!

    Oh and to top things off next, a 64Bit tested program "Feature Cam" from
    Del Cam, yes I did say so called "tested" I think not, maybe this 90million a
    year Co. should invested into testing standards, yes the program is tested
    but not the security system it needs to run, eak, so I have a $16k program
    that useless to me. well the co. Safenet-inc.com produces the security
    software for it and you wont believe all the high end sofware out there they
    product security sofware for and non of it will work!!!!! I called them up
    and they don't plan to start working on a driver till theres a big demand for
    it, talk about behind the times!!!!

    woot, lets not forget about adobe PDF writer, NO WORK! thats all im going
    to say but they are working on it.

    well, I have a few more programs and hardware thats not working but i could
    go on for 6 more days of the things i have come across.

    Please call everyone ask them for 64bit drivers, even if you don't have
    their items.

    Kingz

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Doesn't sound like a productive migration after all. Maybe you should follow
    the path of others and forth with a dual boot installation of XP Pro x64 and
    XP x86.

    64 bit Drivers drivers for
    intellimouse.......http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t4170.html

    MS Hardware in general:
    Microsoft said they would have drivers ready sometime in the near future.

    Heres a work around from Gilles Vollant and Christian Hougardy:
    Well, quick isn't it ?
    here we go, thanks to my colleague french MVP Gilles Vollant and
    plantedAMD64

    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=5454

    also docuPrinter from neevia.com works well in x64 Edition (recommended by
    Charlie Russel)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005

  3. WOW, WOW, Thankyou, I just might be able to sleep tonight knowing that now
    my mouse works. Thank you again. I was a little consern that being from an
    AMD64 Chip set it would not work, but it works great. I have had some issues
    with some the the 64 bit drivers not work due to they did not suport intel,
    well the xeon 64 bit chip not the other intel 64 bit chip or AMD 64, Its
    bad when you get an erro saying " error program is not support by 64bit OS"
    but it realy bad when you get an error "program is not supported by XEON EMT
    64bit"

    Thankyou for your help

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=, Jul 14, 2005
  4. If you search the newsgroup even more, you might be able to find even more
    work arounds. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  5. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in:

    > If you search the newsgroup even more, you might be able to find even more
    > work arounds. ;-)

    Sometimes it's a PTIA to search with a newsreader and.... if this group is
    archived on Google I sure can't find it. Anyone know if it on Google Groups
    and if so, where?

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Google seems to be BIAS against the 64bit.general, hardly find any archived
    information from groups here.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    I've been running SolidWorks on my x64 box. 2005 version seems to run ok (no
    more flakey than on x86 and far more flakey than 2004 version). The default
    settings after install seemed a bit off though, white background and no
    menus displayed. The command manager appears to be confused also. I'm
    keeping my fingers crossed hoping they will cut a 64bit version of 2006.
    I'll renew my subscription if they do.

    Good luck

    Intel_Fan, Jul 15, 2005
  8. I work hand and hand with solidworks, also betta test, and report use with
    thier certified program partners, (lol solidworks was pissed to find that
    feature cam a certified partner was not working on 64bit they my get kicked)
    anyway the next update SP05-SP4.0 will update Solidworks to a 64Bit Vertial
    program, in Nov.-Dec. of this year the new release of Solidworks 2006 will
    be a full 64bit program, also if you are signed up as a betta tester you can
    get Solidworks 2006 64bit now. (with bugs lol)

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=, Jul 15, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Thanks for the info. I refused to renew my subscription when 2005 came out
    because it was dog slow and unstable. Guess I'll have to reconsider when
    2006 gets released.

    Thanks again

    Intel_Fan, Jul 19, 2005
  10. "Jacob J (kingz)" <> wrote in message
    > well the co. Safenet-inc.com produces the security
    > software for it and you wont believe all the high end sofware out there
    > they
    > product security sofware for and non of it will work!!!!! I called them
    > up
    > and they don't plan to start working on a driver till theres a big demand
    > for
    > it, talk about behind the times!!!!

    I'd check with Safenet again. If the software uses the SuperPro parallel or
    USB key, then you should be able to get a beta driver from Safenet for x64.
    I had the same problem with an app we write which I began testing on x64
    last week. Quick call to Safenet and I had the beta SuperPro driver
    installed within 10 mins.

    Patrick Bates, Jul 19, 2005
  11. hmmm, I take it your not running the xeon EM64T chip, they have a problem
    with the new Xeon 64chips, the beta is for the AMD 64 and the other intel
    64chip that pricey SOB. If you go to there web page now they have not even
    gone to beta with that one, if you install the beta one i get "driver is
    not support by chip set"

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFjb2IgIEogKGtpbmd6KQ==?=, Jul 29, 2005