    » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
    of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that one!
    Zack Whittaker, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Zack Whittaker

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Windows XP 64 bit requires a 64 bit processor, and depends on what type of
    64 bit processor too, you have Intel Itanium and AMD x64 and Intel EM64T,
    Windows XP Professional x64 is compatible with AMD x64 and Intel EM64T,
    while Windows XP 64-Bit is compatible only with Intel Itanium and has since
    been discontinued.

    The only available virtualization software for Windows XP Professional x64
    at this time is VM Ware Workstation 5.0 and cannot support XP Pro x64 as a
    guest, only 32 bit operating systems as guess.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  4. Also check here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888731

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  5. You are just messing with his head, right Torrey? ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  6. "Torrey Lauer" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, you can run Windows x64 on a PC with a 32 bit processor.
    >
    > --
    > Torrey Lauer
    > Modern Travel Services
    > moderntravel DOT net

    Huh? Are you on a trip at your travel service without leaving the building?
    LOL
    Really, you know that it takes a 64 bit processor to run a 64 bit OS.
    However, you might have been thinking about the reverse, that being a 32 bit
    OS can run on a 64 bit processor based system. :)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005
  7. Zack Whittaker

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I wrote that incorrectly. If you have Windows x64, you must have a 64 bit
    processor. However, if you have a 64 bit processor it will run 32 bit
    Windows.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 21, 2005
  8. Zack Whittaker

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Yeah, yeah, I know. I wrote it wrong. I already feel like it's Friday. I
    haven't been on a vacation in three weeks! It's time for another one!

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Jun 21, 2005
  9. We all make mistakes, yes its vacation time.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  10. "Torrey Lauer" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, yeah, I know. I wrote it wrong. I already feel like it's Friday.
    > I haven't been on a vacation in three weeks! It's time for another one!

    ROFLOL. I thought it was something like that. :)
    BTW, I was thinking about that song from the 70's, the Wildwood Weed. "He
    took a trip and never left the farm." :)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005
  11. "Zack Whittaker" wrote:

    > This is going to sound like a bloody stupid question...
    >
    > Can Windows XP 64bit run on a 32 bit processor, or does it HAVE to run on a
    > 64 bit processor? It's just that I'm on a server beta with Microsoft and
    > would like to test connectivity with many operating systems. Also, if that
    > question is a big "no", is there a Virtual PC style program I can use to run
    > it instead? I've downloaded 64bit XP and would like to use it but haven't
    > gotten myself a computer with a 64bit processor.
    >
    > Thanks a lot guys.
    >
    > --
    > Zack Whittaker
    > Microsoft Beta UK
    > » www.zacksspace.cjb.net
    > » Sort your computer out: http://sortyourcomputer.cjb.net/
    > » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
    > of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that one!

    Intel (some Celeron,Pentium 4, Xeon DP, Xeon MP) and AMD 32-bit processors
    (all Opteron, Athlon 64, Turion) have 64-bit extensions, allowing you to
    run Windows x64 Editions (not to be confused with "Windows 64-bit" for IA64)
    , and furthermore when running in 64-bit mode , you might be able to run some
    of your 32-bit applications, even though you mostly need 64-bit drivers to
    operate in such mode.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 22, 2005