    Daddio Guest

    What uses all the ram? I have 640MB installed but my system info in XP pro
    says 640 but only 457 available.does windows use all that ram to operate?
    Daddio, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Daddio

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Daddio" <> wrote in
    news:3pXVb.192$:

    > What uses all the ram? I have 640MB installed but my system info in XP
    > pro says 640 but only 457 available.does windows use all that ram to
    > operate?

    Windows XP will actually use about 60 to 70 MB of RAM. The other 100 or so
    megabytes of RAM are being used as a disk cache. Windows (and other OSs)
    consider "free" ram to be wasted RAM, so they put as much as possible to
    use making things load faster by caching soon to be needed data in memory.
    This isn't a problem, as Windows is intelligent about it, and when a
    program actually needs RAM that Windows is using somewhere else, Windows
    lets the RAM go and gives it to the programs that need it. Don't worry,
    that isn't a problem.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)