    TIA , Jorge
    PS: Any specisfics about Olympus Vs Canon movie mode implementation ?
    , Feb 21, 2005

  2. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In the process of comparing the Olympus c-7000 with Canon G6 I'd say
    > Canon is better in almost all aspects.
    > However, the video mode specs favor Olympus as for the same 640 x 480
    > resolution Oly can do 30fps and Canon just 15.
    > This feature is far from being the most fundamental one. Anyway I would
    > like to know how relevant is this fps difference.
    > I don't have real demand for a camcorder. But, as a bonus, it is always
    > good to have a "camcorder like" feature.
    > TIA , Jorge
    > PS: Any specisfics about Olympus Vs Canon movie mode implementation ?

    30fps will give you footage that is free from the jerkiness that is associated with slower
    frame rates. 30fps is as fast as standard movies...15fps will be visibly jerky.
    Very few cameras acheive 30fps at 640x480, though the SD200, SD300, and
    soon-to-be-released SD versions from Canon support not only 30fps at 640x480 with no time
    limit, but they even have a 60fps mode that shoots at 320x240 for creating slow-motion
    clips with standard frame rate.
    Mark², Feb 21, 2005

  3. MB Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > In the process of comparing the Olympus c-7000 with Canon G6 I'd say
    > Canon is better in almost all aspects.
    > However, the video mode specs favor Olympus as for the same 640 x 480
    > resolution Oly can do 30fps and Canon just 15.
    > This feature is far from being the most fundamental one. Anyway I would
    > like to know how relevant is this fps difference.

    How relevant it is depends on what one is expecting. The difference
    between 15 and 30fps is, "This video was obviously shot on a still
    camera", and "This is pretty good quality for a still camera".

    With regard to the Canons, the S1 IS has a fantastic movie mode.
    But if image quality is your first priority then stick with the G6 instead.
    We're really growing to hate the S1's noise and fringing problems.

    > I don't have real demand for a camcorder. But, as a bonus, it is always
    > good to have a "camcorder like" feature.
    > TIA , Jorge
    > PS: Any specisfics about Olympus Vs Canon movie mode implementation ?

    Canon uses the far more compatible and transportable AVI format,
    while the Oly uses Apple's Quicktime MOV. Both formats use the
    M-JPEG codec.
    MB, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >In the process of comparing the Olympus c-7000 with Canon G6 I'd say
    >Canon is better in almost all aspects.
    >However, the video mode specs favor Olympus as for the same 640 x 480
    >resolution Oly can do 30fps and Canon just 15.
    >This feature is far from being the most fundamental one. Anyway I would
    >like to know how relevant is this fps difference.
    >I don't have real demand for a camcorder. But, as a bonus, it is always
    >good to have a "camcorder like" feature.
    >TIA , Jorge
    >PS: Any specisfics about Olympus Vs Canon movie mode implementation ?

    I think the C6 is 20sec of 15fps. The Sony V3 (don't have one but ups
    indicates it is on the way) does 30 fps until the memory stick fills
    up. I've shot a lot of 15 fps with my Sony P-32 and and you can tell
    that it is 15fps. BTW, play your vids from a hard disk location
    unless you have USB 2.0 all along the chain.

    Some one will pop up with the F8 softness issue on the V3. Ha, beat
    you to it.

    hth

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.
  5. JF Guest

    Many thanks for all your points. It is pretty clear that I WILL be
    losing something with the G6. BTW: How would you compare 15 & 30 fps
    with super 8? (18fps in silent and 24 fps in sound) (if I recall
    correctly)
    Is it just number vs number or there is something specific in favor or
    against the digicams?
    Jorge
    JF, Feb 22, 2005
  6. Mark² Guest

    If you have a DVD player that lets you play at exactly 1/2 speed, then you'll be looking
    at roughly 15fps (though your play-back would keep MOVEMENT at full speed from your
    digicam). The jerkiness should be similar.

    Mark², Feb 22, 2005
  7. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > In the process of comparing the Olympus c-7000 with Canon G6 I'd say
    > Canon is better in almost all aspects.
    > However, the video mode specs favor Olympus as for the same 640 x 480
    > resolution Oly can do 30fps and Canon just 15.
    > This feature is far from being the most fundamental one. Anyway I would
    > like to know how relevant is this fps difference.
    > I don't have real demand for a camcorder. But, as a bonus, it is always
    > good to have a "camcorder like" feature.
    > TIA , Jorge
    > PS: Any specisfics about Olympus Vs Canon movie mode implementation ?

    See if you can find a review online that has actual videos at each speed
    for the cameras. Dpreview usually has these samples. Then you decide.
    Basically, the 15 fps videos will be somewhat 'jerky' on fast action.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Feb 22, 2005