64 to 32

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?amFnb2p2?=, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. Can I switch my Vista Ultimate 64bit version to a 32bit setting or do I need
    to buy the 32bit Operating system?
    =?Utf-8?B?amFnb2p2?=, Nov 13, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?amFnb2p2?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is no 32-bit setting. You will need a 32-bit version. If yours is
    retail, it came with the 32-bit version disk, if OEM you can check with the
    manufacturer to see what arrangements they will make.

    John Barnes, Nov 13, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?amFnb2p2?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, jagojv.

    As John said, there is no "32bit setting" and it's not a simple switch.

    The full retail Vista Ultimate package includes TWO DVD-ROM disks and a
    single Product Key. You can choose either the 32-bit disk or the 64-bit
    disk and install that ONE version - not both - using the single PK. If you
    later want to change to the other version, you must reformat your drive and
    clean install, using the same PK. This time, you probably will not be able
    to activate over the Internet, but will need to phone the 800 number
    provided to get the long code to key in for the second installation. You
    cannot install both versions without purchasing a second license and PK.

    Because of major differences in hardware and drivers, there is no upgrade
    path from 32-bit anything to 64-bit anything - or vice versa. Any switch in
    either direction requires a clean install, which means also reinstalling all
    applications, of course.

    If your computer came with Vista pre-installed, you'll need to ask your
    vendor if you can arrange a trade for the 32-bit version. OEM versions of
    Vista are supported by the OEM, not by Microsoft.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX