    Thanks in advance.

    Sincerely,

    Rick
    Rick, Nov 1, 2009

  2. Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate support Virtual XP. I have seen
    posts that state Virtual XP is included on these media, but if it's not
    you can download it from Microsoft. Enterprise also supports Virtual XP.

    Just make sure your CPU has hardware virtualization. Believe it or not
    but some Intel CPUs don't.

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 1, 2009

  3. Rick

    Carlos Guest

    Rick,
    Find some answers here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 1, 2009
  4. 1.) There are 64-bit Versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. With Win7
    now officially released, I would strongly recommend that any programmer
    looking to the future go with Windows 7.

    2.) Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Home Premium all have 64-bit
    Editions. (Enterprise is only available to Volume Licensing customers and
    has the same features as Ultimate.)

    3.) Most 32-bit applications will work fine in 64-bit Windows. Exceptions
    are ones that require a driver and there isn't a 64-bit version of the
    driver, or where the applications integrate directly into Explorer and there
    isn't a 64-bit version of the DLL for that integration.

    4.) You new PC should support hardware virtualization (Intel VT, or AMD-V).
    This is very important moving forward, so verify carefully since not all
    currently shipping PCs do.

    5.) Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate support Windows Virtual PC, a free
    download from microsoft.com that provides a fully integrated virtualization
    environment for creating 32-bit virtual machines. Windows VPC also includes
    XPMode, a fully licensed version of Windows XP. Note that this is NOT
    supported on Home Premium.

    6.) Virtually any version of Microsoft Office can be used in 64-bit Windows.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 1, 2009
  5. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a programmer, and want to get a new PC with 64bit architecture to
    > move on.
    > Which version of Windows comes in 64 bit? Does it come with virtual
    > machine software (so I can still work with applications in 32-bit)?
    > What version of Office would I need for 64bit?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Rick

    On one computer I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. 32-bit programs
    install in a different folder "Program Files (X86)." 64-Bit programs
    install in folder "Program Files"

    On my other computer I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Programs install
    as with the Vista.

    I have yet to have any program not install.
    Charles W Davis, Nov 1, 2009
  6. Rick

    Don Morgan Guest

    I recently downloaded the upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7
    Premium 64bit.
    All went well and I am happy except several of my programs that were working
    on Vista are
    not working on Windows 7. I assume this is the 32bit vs 64bit problem.
    Skype is no longer working
    Logitech Cam is no longer working
    C/D label program for ink jet printing is no longer working.
    Hopefully, they will be coming through with new drivers for Windows 7 64bit
    soon.

    My real disappointment is no longer having Microsoft's "Photo Story 3",
    program to make
    home movies. This is their only program that had voice narration for home
    movies from
    digital pictures. I can't believe MS will no longer support this great
    program in Win 7.
    Please Microsoft build a driver for Windows 7--this was my favorite program

    Don Morgan--HP5120 AMD7750 dual core-4GB memory

    Don Morgan, Nov 1, 2009
  7. Those programs sound to me like program problems not driver problems. Have
    you tried downloading the Virtual PC program that lets you run programs in
    virtual XP mode. It comes with Professional Win7 but I believe there is a
    Microsoft simular version for the other copies of 7 and Vista. Try that.
    Also have you went to those program sites to see if they have a 64 bit
    version of those programs?
    ===============

    David B. Mathews, Nov 1, 2009
  8. Rick

    Doug Forster Guest

    Hi Rick,

    What programming tools do you intend using?

    Cheers
    Doug Forster
    Doug Forster, Nov 2, 2009
  9. Rick

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Don.

    > My real disappointment is no longer having Microsoft's "Photo Story 3",

    I'm not familiar with that program and I have very little experience with
    making movies - in Windows or otherwise. But have you checked out Windows
    Live Movie Maker? I see that you are using Windows Live Mail. WLMovie
    Maker is another of the Windows Live Essentials, which you can download -
    free - from:
    http://download.live.com

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 2, 2009
  10. Rick

    Don Morgan Guest

    John --I definitely did an upgrade, Vista home premium to Windows7 home
    premium. I have most things working again, but
    Adobe Reader & Flash still don't have the 64bit driver up and these are used
    for some downloads that are being rejected. I am
    still concerned about "Photo Story 3" which I had with XP and is not
    supported in Win 7. Windows Live does have a Movie
    Maker, but it does not allow voice narration. I hope MS reconsiders and
    brings "Photo Story 3" back for Win 7--great program.
    Don Morgan

    Don Morgan, Nov 3, 2009
  11. Rick

    Rick Guest

    On Nov 1, 8:57 pm, Doug Forster <>
    wrote:
    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > What programming tools do you intend using?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Doug Forster

    Hi Doug,

    I want to create a VM for Linux LAMP
    In Windows, Visual Studio 2008 with SQL Svr, but I have some code in
    Visual Studio 7 with Pervasive.
    Let's see.

    Thanks to all for the help!

    Rick