64-bit Windows XP Pro X64 released to Manufacturing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by gimp, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. gimp

    gimp Guest

    gimp, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 31, 2005

  3. gimp

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Fred Bloggs, Mar 31, 2005
  4. gimp

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <d2hs5h$hdp$>, gimp <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >on schedule for late April release:
    > >
    > >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1781094,00.asp

    > ... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    > station.

    Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    Fred Bloggs, Mar 31, 2005
  5. On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:46:53 +1200, Fred Bloggs wrote:

    > In article <d2hs5h$hdp$>, says...
    >> on schedule for late April release:

    > All the gimps here who claimed it was vapourware are shown up for the
    > idiotic loons they always were

    Err, Microsoft promised that XP would be ready for X64 in mid 2003. So it
    may not be vaporware but is almost two years overdue. Given that Microsoft
    is stating that Longhorn is going to released in 2006, is 64bit XP worth
    the expense. What will Microsoft's support for XP Pro X64 be like when
    longhorn has been released? As someone who has assisted in maintaining
    Win2k desktops, I know what is like to become a second class citizen
    within of month of the release of XP.

    Just one question, what percentage of Microsoft's applications have been
    rebuilt/ported to the 64bit mode?

    Almost all of the software, including the applications for the Linux
    Distributions have been recompiled for and take full advantage of the
    AMD x86_64 architecture.

    If your running mostly 32 bit applications then your not getting the full
    advantage of the new architecture.

    David Mohring - He's back.

    David Mohring, Apr 1, 2005
  6. gimp

    not Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>on schedule for late April release:
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1781094,00.asp

    > ... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    > station.

    not saying you're wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it... I give it
    a year at most before xp/2k3-64 users are over that of Linux.

    not, Apr 1, 2005
  7. gimp

    gimp Guest

    David Mohring wrote:
    > Almost all of the software, including the applications for the Linux
    > Distributions have been recompiled for and take full advantage of the
    > AMD x86_64 architecture.

    initially the majority who'll be using X64 don't really care about MS
    apps. even with 32-bit apps it'll make a difference for memory
    management with digital content creation apps, i frequently need access
    to more than 2GB ram on a single process. havn't moved to Linux before
    this because the fact is there's practically no mainstream DCC apps
    available for linux.... the few that are also 32-bit.

    gimp, Apr 1, 2005
  8. gimp

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:41:55 +1200, David Mohring
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:46:53 +1200, Fred Bloggs wrote:
    >
    >> In article <d2hs5h$hdp$>, says...
    >>> on schedule for late April release:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1781094,00.asp

    >> All the gimps here who claimed it was vapourware are shown up for the
    >> idiotic loons they always were

    >Err, Microsoft promised that XP would be ready for X64 in mid 2003. So it
    >may not be vaporware but is almost two years overdue. Given that Microsoft
    >is stating that Longhorn is going to released in 2006, is 64bit XP worth
    >the expense. What will Microsoft's support for XP Pro X64 be like when
    >longhorn has been released? As someone who has assisted in maintaining
    >Win2k desktops, I know what is like to become a second class citizen
    >within of month of the release of XP.
    >
    >Just one question, what percentage of Microsoft's applications have been
    >rebuilt/ported to the 64bit mode?
    >
    >Almost all of the software, including the applications for the Linux
    >Distributions have been recompiled for and take full advantage of the
    >AMD x86_64 architecture.
    >
    >If your running mostly 32 bit applications then your not getting the full
    >advantage of the new architecture.

    Apparently many 32bit apps still won't run on X64 simply because their
    installers are 16bit and won't run!

    GraB, Apr 1, 2005
  9. On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:42:49 +1200, gimp wrote:

    > David Mohring wrote:
    >> Almost all of the software, including the applications for the Linux
    >> Distributions have been recompiled for and take full advantage of the
    >> AMD x86_64 architecture.

    > initially the majority who'll be using X64 don't really care about MS
    > apps. even with 32-bit apps it'll make a difference for memory
    > management with digital content creation apps, i frequently need access
    > to more than 2GB ram on a single process. havn't moved to Linux before
    > this because the fact is there's practically no mainstream DCC apps
    > available for linux.... the few that are also 32-bit.

    Which of those same applications are available for 64_bit XP?

    And there is enough DCC software available to complete the ...
    The Linux Motion Picture Pipeline
    http://linuxmovies.sourceforge.net/software/index.html

    BYW - I have seen both the open source packages Cinepaint
    ( http://www.cinepaint.org/ ) and Blender ( http://www.blender.org/ )
    recompiled for x86_64 Suse Linux and put to very effective use on a
    Tyan Dual Opteron system.

    David Mohring - Was XP big enough for King Kong? I don't think so!

    David Mohring, Apr 1, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 1, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Fred Bloggs <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >> In article <d2hs5h$hdp$>, gimp <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >on schedule for late April release:
    >> >
    >> >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1781094,00.asp

    >> ... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    >> station.

    >Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    It still is vapourware.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2005
  12. gimp

    gimp Guest

    David Mohring wrote:
    > Which of those same applications are available for 64_bit XP?

    well the 32-bit apps i've tested run fine on X64, so all of them. the
    important thing for a lot of people is not running apps in 64-bits
    (initially), its just being able to get some memory benefits while still
    using the same software. main areas where linux struggles is with more
    mainstream apps like Adobe and Discreet. there are some good highend
    compositing solutions for linux, with maya and XSi for 3D, but i don't
    think it justifies changing licences to linux unless you're a big FX
    company that can afford it. besides, can't play Joint Ops on linux... :)

    gimp, Apr 1, 2005
  13. gimp

    steve Guest

    Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > In article <>, ldo@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >
    >>In article <d2hs5h$hdp$>, gimp <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>on schedule for late April release:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1781094,00.asp

    >>... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    >>station.

    > Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    It was until today.....and you STILL can't buy it. Whereas 64bit (Intel)
    Linux has been around for a while now.

    So how much will 64-bit WinXP cost?

    steve, Apr 1, 2005
  14. gimp

    Grizzly Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:15:38 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> ... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    >>> station.

    >>Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    > It still is vapourware.

    You and lennier are truly clueless.

    Grizzly, Apr 1, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    Grizzly <> wrote:

    >>>Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    >> It still is vapourware.

    >You and lennier are truly clueless.

    And you are Windows-64-bit-less. Unless and until you can actually buy
    it in the shops, it remains vapourware.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2005
  16. On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:50:19 +1200, Grizzly wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:31:21 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >>>You and lennier are truly clueless.

    >> And you are Windows-64-bit-less. Unless and until you can actually buy
    >> it in the shops, it remains vapourware.

    > Tell me how many linux distros have 64 bit versions, bugger me vapourware
    > exists in the Linux world.
    >
    > Paul

    surely you didnt post that...
    64 bit linux have been around for _some_ time
    perhaps this site may be of some help
    http://www.x86-64.org/

    (by the by linux 64 bit versions + amd 64 bit opterons have been the basis
    of super computers for some time also)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 1, 2005
  17. gimp

    Grizzly Guest

    Grizzly, Apr 1, 2005
  18. gimp

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,
    > Fred Bloggs <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    > >central.gen.new_zealand says...

    > >> ... just in time to watch the 64-bit Linux train pull away from the
    > >> station.

    > >Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    > It still is vapourware.

    Bullcrap
    It's coming out this month.

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 1, 2005
  19. gimp

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > In article <>,
    > Grizzly <> wrote:

    > >> It still is vapourware.

    > >You and lennier are truly clueless.

    > And you are Windows-64-bit-less. Unless and until you can actually buy
    > it in the shops, it remains vapourware.

    Bull crap.
    I can't see you therefore you must be a ghost

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 1, 2005
  20. In article <>,
    Fred Bloggs <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >> In article <>,
    >> Fred Bloggs <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, ldo@geek-
    >> >central.gen.new_zealand says...

    >> >Where's your claim that XP64 is vapourware you loon?

    >> It still is vapourware.

    >Bullcrap
    >It's coming out this month.

    Wrong tense. It SHOULD BE coming out this month.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Apr 1, 2005