64 bit Windows running on 32bit dual Xeon processors

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Will the 64 bit Windows 2003 Server run on Our 32 bit dual Xeon Processors
    that we currently have installed on our servers?
    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=, Dec 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    CPUs with EM64T features ARE A MUST. 32 bit processors ron 32 bit OSs.
    Processors with 64 bit instructions and memory handling can run 32 or 64 bit
    OSs...

    M. Murcek, Dec 12, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=

    Patrick Guest

    No.

    Patrick, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Unfortunately, 32 + 32 does not equal 64 in this case. ;)
    Both procs must be 64-bit.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 12, 2005
  5. IF the Xeon's have EM64T, yes. But if they do not, then no. (Intel is less
    than forthcoming about which actual processors support EM64T at times. To
    determine which Intel models you have, and what it supports:
    The best way to find out what processor you have, and what its
    specifications are, is to use the Intel Processor Identification Utility,
    available from the Intel site:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

    --
    Charlie.