    --
    Thanks
    Dave
    =?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=, Sep 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    HDTV for cable will require a cable card and a new computer
    purchased from a cable labs certified vendor (like Dell and so on)
    that has an internal OCUR (Open Cable Unidirectional Receiver).
    These pc's will have a certified graphics card that supports HDCP.
    You will need a HDCP certified monitor. Both Vista 32 and 64 bit
    will support OCUR, but it is up to the OEMs (like Dell) to decide
    which they will pre install.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Thanks for your help, Barb. It is a bit over my head, however. (And over my
    pocketbook when you said to buy a new computer...). Can you elaborate or
    refer me to a good site that does?
    --
    Thanks
    Dave

    =?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=, Sep 23, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?T25lRGF2ZQ==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6623848.html
    http://www.edbott.com/mediacenter/archives/finally-details-on-cablecard-and-media-center/

    are the least geeky of what is out there.

    basically, there is a DRM enforcement that requires HDCP on both
    ends AND a cable labs certified computer for the device that a cable
    card is inserted into.

    Barb Bowman, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Thanks for the background articles. I understand the Vista/MCE issues a lot
    better now. I especially liked the interview with Microsoft's VP for Media
    Center at:

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/02/the-clicker-a-sitdown-with-microsofts-joe-belfiore-part-i/

    The bottom line is that we have to wait until AFTER Vista is officially
    released AND the new device certification of "Digital Cable Ready" is also
    marketed before we can hope for Vista and cable HDTV to work through Media
    Center. If this capability is my goal, then I should NOT buy ANY new
    computer systems or A/V hardware until the industry offers the above to the
    marketplace.

    Thanks, Dave
    --
    Thanks