    driver, his wireless router doesn't have a compatbile driver, etc. Is there
    a way to turn everything into a 32 bit mode, so it will work or does he have
    to just wait it out?

    =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=, Nov 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=

    Rick Guest

    You can do a clean install of the 32-bit Windows XP, no way to convert
    x64 to 32-bit. Other than that, I guess you can wait.

    Rick, Nov 22, 2005

  3. The best way to turn everything into a 32-bit mode, is to have a 32 bit
    operating system installed. What is the printer model, and router type and
    brand? The manufacturers are the best source for device drivers that need to
    be native 64 bit for Windows x64. You can try http://www.planetamd64.com for
    possible beta drivers for the printer that might be available. Also check
    out this post on Charlie Russels website about Printers and x64:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/18/54021.aspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 22, 2005
  4. He should run a 32-bit edition of Windows. If he wants he can run a dual
    boot system with both operating systems but I doubt that would serve a
    purpose. He is correct in buying a 64-bit computer. I can see no reason to
    continue buying 32-bit computers going forward. The operating system choice
    is another matter.

    While XP Pro x64 is a "top of the line" operating system for desktop
    computers, it is only top of the line for professionals needing the greater
    power offered by 64-bit computing. There are advantages to running 32-bit
    Windows on 64-bit computers over running 32-bit Windows on 32-bit computers,
    so he has not wasted his money buying 64-bit hardware, but it does not sound
    like he should be using 64-bit Windows in his particular situation. When
    full support for his peripherals is available he can change to XP x64 at his
    discretion.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 22, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=

    LDJ Guest

    Hello JRF!

    jrf081579 wrote:
    > My boss wanted a top of the line computer, so I told him what top of the line
    > was. So, now he has a 64 bit chip with Win XP Pro x64. Unfortunately, he
    > can't connect anything to it because his HP printer doesn't have a compatible
    > driver, his wireless router doesn't have a compatbile driver, etc. Is there
    > a way to turn everything into a 32 bit mode, so it will work or does he have
    > to just wait it out?

    Please read the thread: "HP 64b Drivers, Pre-Beta Drivers for Windows XP
    x64" on www.PlanetAMD64.com

    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=6711

    Kind Regards
    LDJ

    LDJ, Nov 22, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=

    Mirko Guest

    Well, I don't know your boss, but if he's the type of computer user who just
    expect things to "work", then tell him to buy and install a copy of Windows
    XP Pro (32bit).

    "jrf081579" <>
    :...

    Mirko, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Sounds like a good idea Mirko. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 22, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=

    Randy Guest

    Colin,

    recalling your post on Virtual Server 2005 a few days back, would it be
    possible for someone to install *that* product on a Server 2003 x64 (or even
    XP Pro x64) system, and then run XP Pro 32 and associated apps (and
    peripherals without 64-bit drivers) under that setup? Or would that be a
    kludge solution (i.e., slowing the system down unacceptably) even if
    possible?

    Sorry if that sounds banal; I haven't really looked at Virtual Server that
    much yet... I plan to run up to MicroCenter (where I first saw Virtual
    Server) to grab myself a copy soon, assuming it actually *will* run on XP
    Pro x64 for testing purposes, or on Server 2003 x64 with only a trial
    license... I guess for my purposes, a demo/trial version of Virtual Server
    would be the smartest thing to go with for now.

    Randy, Nov 23, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?anJmMDgxNTc5?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    If your the person who is going to be maintaining/administering his PC, then
    you'll need to find compatible drivers for those hardware that he uses. I'm
    pretty sure you'll be able to find an HP compatible driver so that you can
    get his HP printer working.

    I don't understand why his wireless router needs to have a compatible
    driver? Is it that the wireless "adapter" in his PC is not working? If
    that's the case, you'll need to find a compatible wireless adapter driver
    for the wireless adapter. It's not too hard. You'll be able to find it
    online somewhere. PlantAMD64.com is one place to look.

    I have a wireless adapter in my laptop running Windows xp prof. x64, and it
    works just fine. It connects to the wireless access point (in this case it
    would be the wireless router in your/your boss' office) without any problem.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Randy -- Yes, that would work, and a couple of us have suggested something
    similar in a thread earlier about DOS and 16 bit apps. However, it doesn't
    solve the driver issue for all things. There's no direct support for USB
    peripherals, so no way to capture a USB port -- you're at the mercy of what
    the host OS makes available. For printers, you should be OK if it's either a
    TCP/IP printer, or has a parallel printer port, since you can capture the
    parallel port and print to it.

    However, all that being said, it's not a completely transparent solution, to
    say the least, and there are performance tradeoffs. There's also no drag and
    drop between host and guest.

    VMWare Workstation 5.5 may be a slightly more transparent solution (and does
    support USB ports). But still not exacly a seemlessly transparent solution,
    to say the least, and I actually think the performance of Virtual Server
    2005 R2 is slightly better.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 24, 2005
  11. Yes, Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on x64 (Server and XP) operating systems.
    VSR2 just went to manufacturing but is not yet available in stores. It
    should be in a few weeks. The copies at MicroCenter are very likely to be
    the first edition which does not run on x64 systems. I understand the new
    edition will have a big red "R2" proximately displayed.

    When VSR2 is available in a few weeks, the trial version should also become
    available for download. Right now it is the first edition.

    Having said all of that, I don't see how Virtual Server 2005 R2 can solve
    any device driver issues for you since the problem is with the host
    operating system in the first place.

    If this were all about your own computer you could decide whether or not to
    mess with workarounds. But I don't recommend you get overinvolved with
    someone else's system. Just fix it up so the other person's system is
    running in the most straightforward way possible to just get their work
    done. Then move on.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 24, 2005