    any version of Vista, as long as there is a 64-bit capable CPU.
    Is it true ? Will I be able to stick with 32-bit general computing on a
    32-bit OS and benefit from 64-bit when doing some 3D rendering work ?
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tM2s=?=, Sep 19, 2007

  2. Tom3k:
    64-bit applications do not run on 32-bit OS's and there is no exception to
    that rule.
    You won't be able to run Autodesk 64-bit 3ds max soft on Vista 32-bit.
    Most of 32-bit app's can run on 64-bit OS's but this is not your case.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 19, 2007

  3. If that is what Autodesk is claiming, then we must consider what could make
    it a true statement.

    If the application is, essentially, a 32bit application, with 64bit DLL's we
    can assume it will install and run on both OS architectures - in this case
    the CPU will not have any impact. The CPU is only important to 32bit
    applications if you want to run them on a 64bit OS, in which case they
    cannot have 32bit DLL's and/or drivers.

    Otherwise, Carlos is right!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 19, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tM2s=?=

    Theo Guest

    I didn't find any such claim on their web site. I did find
    this:

    System Requirements
    Software

    The 32-bit version of Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2008 software is
    supported on any of the following operating systems:

    * Microsoft® Windows Vista™
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2 or higher)

    The 64-bit version of 3ds Max 2008 software is supported on
    any of the following operating systems:

    * Microsoft Windows Vista
    * Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64

    Granted, they forgot to insert the 'x64' after Vista under
    the 64-bit requirements, but common sense should come in to
    play.

    Common sense is not so common.
    Voltaire
    French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist
    (1694 - 1778)

    Theo, Sep 19, 2007
  5. This is technically correct because every version of Windows Vista can
    either be x86 or x64. You decide which one by which media to install,
    although the x64 media only comes with Windows Vista Ultimate retail and
    most OEMs are not providing 64-bit install media unless you specifically
    request it. The same license activates either x86 or x64 versions, so you
    technically can use either.

    You can even order the x64 media directly from Microsoft via:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

    It would probably be better, however, if the Autodesk site explicitly
    mentioned you need the x64 version installed to use their 64-bit app, but
    that's true of all 64-bit applications.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Sep 19, 2007
  6. Chuck -
    My understanding was that the OEM license (as opposed to the retail
    license), was binary specific. That is, you got OEM Vista 32-bit, you could
    not swap it out for OEM Vista 64-bit, even if you had the media. Even though
    the same key works for both, the license for OEM is binary specific.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 20, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tM2s=?=

    Martin G Guest

    Expanded Platform Support
    3ds Max 2008 is the first full release of the software officially
    compatible with Microsoft® Windows VistaT 32-bit and 64-bit operating
    systems and the Microsoft DirectX® 10 platform.

    I would assume this is the same as our Autodesk Inventor 2008 dvd
    which installs x64 version of Mechanical desktop 2008 on x64 machines and
    the x86 version on 32 bit machines.

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin G, Sep 20, 2007