    What do you think about 64-bit Sempron and Celeron D and do you think it is
    a clue of 64-bit going mainitstream?

    Yuhong Bao

    Yuhong Bao, Jan 14, 2006

  2. If you mean XP Pro x64 going mainstream, no. XP Pro x64 will not ever go
    mainstream. No retail edition of XP Pro x64 is planned. Windows Server
    2003 R2 x64 is another matter.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Yuhong Bao

    Yuhong Bao Guest

    I don't mean XP x64 going mainstream (that will have to wait for Vista), I
    mean EM64T and AMD64 going mainstream.

    Yuhong Bao

    Yuhong Bao, Jan 14, 2006
  4. It already is.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 14, 2006
  5. I would say Sempron and Celeron with x64 extensions plays a role in making
    64-bit hardware more widely available in the future be the catalyst for
    making 64-bit development of applications a logical step for many
    developers. Pretty much the same way 32 bit processors today, so Sempron and
    Celeron with x64 extensions is assisting the transition.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 14, 2006
  6. It already is. No one using their head for anything other than a hatrack
    would buy a server today that wasn't 64-bit capable. They might well choose
    to use 32-bit Windows Server on it - but the processor would be 64-bit. And
    anyone contemplating a new desktop system today should be thinking seriously
    about buying 64-bit. Though in most cases they should certainly be
    installing 32-bit XP. There is little price difference between 32 and 64bit
    processors, motherboards, etc., from the midrange up between 32-bit and
    64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64