64-bit print server causing problems with 32-bit workstations

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?cHRhNDAz?=, May 31, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    Due to a server move, I recently switched our print server from a 32-bit
    server to a AMD64 server. On some of the workstations now, we are unable to
    view the printer properties. I only get a message "Printer Properties can
    not be displayed. Operation could not be completed." The workstations this
    is happening on are the Windows 2000 computers, the XP computers work
    correctly.

    I was able to locate MS KB Article 908786, which describes this problem
    exactly. The problem is that the article says the problem occurs on Windows
    2003, XP and 2000, but then provides resolutions (sort of) for Windows 2003
    and XP only. It doesn't give any suggestions for Windows 2000 computers.

    All of the Windows 2000 computers are service pack 4 and updated with the
    most recent updates. We cannot update them to Windows XP as we are a school
    that relies heavily on donated computers and use the MS FreshStart program
    for our OS (they don't currently offer XP for the FreshStart program). We
    don't have the budget to purchase new OSes for all the computers.

    As the old server is being moved to a different campus, the only server we
    have available is the 64-bit one (and a workstation that has Windows Server
    2003 installed on it, but it isn't capable of handling the extra burden (no
    matter how small is it) of being a print server). Does any one know of any
    hotfixes or patches or suggestions that I can try that will allow this print
    server to serve the needs of our old computers?

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?cHRhNDAz?=, May 31, 2007

  2. There is not a solution for Win2k for Point and Print connections.

    You can add the printer as a local printer on these systems creating a Local
    Port with \\printserver\printshare as the port name. You can also install
    LPD Service on the print server and use Standard TCP/IP ports with LPR byte
    count enabled to print to the server.

    The print jobs will be rendered on the client and there will be no RPC calls
    to the x64 machine to determine the processor type and fail as it does now.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], May 31, 2007

  3. Thank you very much for the tips. Can you tell me how to "install LPD
    Service on the print server and use Standard TCP/IP ports with LPR byte count
    enabled to print to the server"? I think I already have it set to use
    Standard TCP/IP ports, but I'm not sure where to find the LPD service to
    install or how to enable LPR byte count.

    =?Utf-8?B?cHRhNDAz?=, May 31, 2007
  4. On your print server
    Add Remove Programs, Windows Components, Other File and Print Services,
    Print Services for Unix

    This will install the LPD service on the print server to receive inbound
    print jobs over the lpr protocols.

    On the client add the Standard Port using the print server name as the host
    name. The default Port name will also be the host name and I generally
    change this to also include the queue name as well.

    The monitor will perform an SNMP query to the print server which will fail
    after 90 seconds. Use the Custom configuration to set the protocol to LPR
    and enter the queue name as the print share name. Check LPR Byte Counting
    Enabled under the queue name

    You can add the ports and the local printers remotely to the Win2k
    workstations.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team