    Intel QX6700 Quad Core
    ATI HD2900 XT in Crossfire
    4 GB DDR2
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNU?=, Jul 20, 2007

  2. You need to completely re-install the operating system. You can't simply
    upgrade to 64-bit. If your copy of Vista is a retail copy, then you have a
    license for the 64-bit version, but will need to order the DVD. Only Vista
    Ultimate includes both DVDs in the box. If your copy of Vista is an OEM
    copy, then you need to buy a copy of the 64-bit version, since the licensing
    for the OEM version is more restrictive. That being said, several OEMs have
    been willing to facilitate that conversion by swapping out your 32-bit for
    64-bit. But it's not a requirement.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2007

  3. There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, meaning you have to
    do a clean install.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Coreâ„¢ 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Jul 20, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNU?=

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > You need to completely re-install the operating system. You can't
    > simply upgrade to 64-bit. If your copy of Vista is a retail copy,
    > then you have a license for the 64-bit version, but will need to
    > order the DVD. Only Vista Ultimate includes both DVDs in the box.
    > If your copy of Vista is an OEM copy, then you need to buy a copy
    > of the 64-bit version, since the licensing for the OEM version is
    > more restrictive. That being said, several OEMs have been willing
    > to facilitate that conversion by swapping out your 32-bit for
    > 64-bit. But it's not a requirement.

    It should also be mentioned that you should investigate all the drivers
    you'll need for the switch such as video, etc. and make sure all the
    software you need will work in a 64 bit OS.

    In my own case, my laptop came with XP, HP supports upgrading to Vista
    32 but has no drivers for my sound or modem if I go to Vista 64 nor do
    they plan to offer them in the near future.

    It's much easier to check first!

    XS11E, Jul 20, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNU?=

    Kev Guest

    thanks guys.
    I wont install vista until SP1 becomes available any way. I am just not
    savvy enough on the X64 question and I am doing a bit of research to decide
    whether I would be better off using X64 with my hardware and software

    Kev, Jul 21, 2007