    cannot upgrade to SP2". I guess there's something in the OS that says it's
    Wndows 2003, or Windows NT or something that's non-XP. Any way around this?
    These little surprises are fouling me on 64-bit.

    JGundrey, Dec 18, 2007

  2. The SP2 that you are trying to download is for XP x86 (32-bit), not x64
    (64-bit). It is not for your version of XP.

    XP 32-bit is NT 5.1. XP 64-bit is NT 5.2. Since Windows Server 2003 is
    also NT 5.2 that is why you are seeing references to Windows 2003. They in
    fact share the same codebase and therefore the same service packs.

    The SP2 that you want is for Windows 2003/XP Pro x64.

    Apparently Walmart does not support XP Pro x64. You need to ask them.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2007

  3. JGundrey

    JGundrey Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the downloads from Microsoft are
    intended for the 32-bit version. I got SP2 for XP64 using Windows Update
    some time ago. I merely used the Microsoft anecdote to illustrate that even
    Microsoft's OS "sniffer" doesn't see an XP flavor, but rather some NT flavor.

    This sucks. I can't imagine why a music download site would care what the
    OS is as long as the web browser and media player respect licensing issues.
    Also, I'm sure that Walmart would work fine with WinXP 64-bit, but their OS
    sniffer just stops the process when it doesn't detect any of its "valid" OS's.

    My question was if there was any wisdom out there about "spoofing" the OS as
    XP to the outside world so I could use their stuff.

    I've asked Walmart about it. No reply. I don't think a sales agent who
    responds to customer inquiries can help me. They don't know or care about
    the technical issues at that level. Thanks anyway.

    James

    JGundrey, Dec 18, 2007
  4. JGundrey

    Theo Guest

    Probably because of the OS version number, NT 5.2. 32-bit
    XP is version NT 5.1. When an OS check is performed and the
    program is specifically recognizing NT 5.1 as being XP
    Pro/Home, then anything else is not XP.

    Theo, Dec 18, 2007
  5. But XP IS an NT flavor. It is in the same branch as NT4 and Windows 2000.
    The other branch was DOS (win95/98/SE/ME) and that branch is now dead.

    It depends on how the site does version checking to assure compatibility,
    but it sounds like they are not yet compatible with anything 64-bit.

    How have you determined that Walmart's stuff works with x64? How do you
    know this?

    If it doesn't, all the spoofing in the world just gets you software that
    won't work or, worse, kinda works but messes up your settings (or worse).

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2007
  6. It may 'suck', but 'OS sniffing', as you say, is an essential part of any
    site's functionality that has any kind of on-line system level integration
    with your machine. This is not a display of curiousity or looking over your
    shoulder - and this is probably why things are not working as well, since
    the Flash and the Java Browser Plug-Ins don't work in a 64bit environment -
    fire up your 32bit browser (both are installed!) and then some of the things
    may start working (I am not familiar with Wallmart!) or, like so many
    others, they have decided to give up on our system.

    It really is an important feature that everything in an OS is working, but
    MS really is depending on the outside world to do some of the work that
    enables the functionality on the bits that are not a property of MS's. I
    don't think MS have any financial interest in either Sun or MacroMedia so
    they cannot provide any solutions or work-arounds. With XP x64
    particularily, there are extremely few issues where the OS is to blame but
    an almost endles list of third-party people who simply don't care if their
    gear works or not. They have their money safely in the bank!

    If you think this isn't working for you, you'll not be the first, but this
    one is not Microsoft's fault.

    Tony. . .

    Tont Sperling, Dec 18, 2007
  7. JGundrey

    JGundrey Guest

    Tony:

    Wait a minute - there's a 32-bit version of IE in my 64-bit XP? In all my
    ignoramusness, I didn't really know that. How do I launch one versus the
    other? Are there different icons, or start menu locations?

    Please enlighten me!!

    Jim

    JGundrey, Dec 21, 2007
  8. The default is the x86 version. If you haven't changed anything that is
    what you will get when you click on the IE icon in your quick launch bar or
    on the desktop.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2007
  9. JGundrey

    JGundrey Guest

    How would one launch the 64-bit version,then? I'd like to do this just for
    fun.

    Thanks, Jim

    JGundrey, Dec 22, 2007
  10. Click the Start Orb, All Programs, and choose the "Internet Explorer
    (64-bit)" icon. It should be third from the top on the list.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 22, 2007
  11. JGundrey

    Netman Guest

    Must say, I got all excited over the 64-bit IE (I'm a new 64bit Vista user).
    That is UNTIL darn near every website wants to install Flash and there isn't
    a 64-bit version. Oh well....

    Netman, Dec 29, 2007
  12. That's why the 32-bit version is the default, of course. The 64-bit version
    is there so that developers can test against it as they begin adapting their
    websites for 64-bit and for the future when 64-bits becomes the standard.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 29, 2007