    must have existed long before WinXP became available as 64-bit?

    Thank you for any help which you may be able to offer.

    Martin

    martin.bunyan, Dec 29, 2005

  2. martin.bunyan

    Erick Pratt Guest

    For Windows you would be looking at Windows XP Professional x64, but be
    warned, as driver support from manufacturers is minimal and mostly beta.

    Just about every Linux distro available has 64-bit support, and always has.
    Just make sure you get the one that's best for your needs.

    In either case, not much software out there supports or utilizes 64-bit yet,
    so you may not see any performance boost. Also, around this time next year,
    Windows Vista should be available (if Microsoft doesn't put it off again),
    and it will have 64-bit versions available, if not native in all versions,
    so if you'd like to go the Windows route there is an upgrade alternative on
    the horizon.

    "martin.bunyan" <martin.ramone@fuck_arse_shit.com> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I have looked at a few posts here and trust that this is the correct
    newsgroup for my query.

    I am looking to buy/assemble a new PC in the next couple of months, but am a
    little out of touch with recent developments. I am expecting to be buying a
    64-bit CPU (not yet decided on an AMD or Intel) and was wondering what
    Operating Systems (Widows, Linux distros or others), already available, are
    able to take advantage of the CPUs capabilities. I believe that
    Xeons/Itaniums have been 64-bit for some time, so presume that 64-bit O/Ses

    Erick Pratt, Jan 2, 2006

  3. martin.bunyan

    ' Guest

    ', Jan 2, 2006
  4. Thank you, both of you, for your advice so far. I read an advert in Oracle
    magazine yesterday promoting Oracle on "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for
    extended 64-bit architectures". Is there good reason for not using a
    "Server" O/S as an every-day Operating System?

    martin.bunyan, Jan 8, 2006
  5. martin.bunyan

    Erick Guest

    Other than the price and complication inherant with using a OS designed to
    be only a server system, nothing.

    Erick, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Ah, thank you. That may not be a good idea then.

    martin.bunyan, Jan 9, 2006