    mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
    bit initiative isn't moving any faster?

    GH

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Greg;
    To start, are you communicating your needs to the hardware manufacturers for
    specific drivers?
    That lets them know their customers have a need.
    You could also inform them why you bought a competitors product.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Feb 16, 2006

  3. Greg --
    First, I'm glad to hear you've ported your (unnamed) app to x64. When is
    mainstream? Well, for sure by the release of Vista, since Vista Logo will
    require that x64 be supported. But realistically before that? I think there
    is now a core of drivers available that enable most people to make informed
    choices. That driver situation will improve over the next 6 months as we
    move to the release of Vista. At what point will the majority of PC's be
    x64? Hard to say. At what point will the majority of PCs be x64 CAPABLE?
    Even if running a 32-bit OS? I think we're at the point now where virtually
    no server bought today isn't 64 bit capable. And on the desktop side, it's
    moving fairly quickly to be the majority. Laptops? They're lagging behind by
    a good 12 months, as usual. And Intel's release of "core duo" without x64
    support was a huge mistake, IMHO.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Charlie,

    Thanks. That helps. It just seemed like the 64 bit migration was mostly
    dead in the water. I remember when the migration from 16 to 32 bit was
    occuring. At that time, if you weren't on 32 or actively pursing it, you
    were seen as being in the stone age. We're not seeing that with this
    migration because there isn't as great of a need. 32 bit apps and systems
    meet most home users needs. I guess primarily it has been server class apps
    that has 'pushed' this migration.(?)

    Regarding our app...It is a time-series data base, aka a historian or
    temporal database. We target the OEM arena. OEMs embed our product into
    their software and/or hardware products. Our code runs on XP, 2K, 2003
    Server and Windows CE 4.2 and 5.0. Pretty cool...1 code base, 1 product,
    supports CE, PC 32 and now PC 64 bit....

    Regards,
    Greg

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=, Feb 17, 2006
  5. You are competing with Oracle now, they recently purchased a similar
    product. :)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 17, 2006
  6. Interesting.

    Certainly the initial push for x64 comes from the server side, but there are
    real gains for desktop applications too, especially in the areas of digital
    media. Something that will be increasingly part of the things we take for
    granted. Right now, there isn't a compelling need for the average end user
    to use x64 Edition. And the pain is still pretty high, given the many legacy
    products that folks have without any drivers for them. But MS had a
    compelling need to produce a 64-bit desktop O: Both to support the existing
    processors, and to help build the drive to 64-bit as mainstream. But the
    compelling initial need was certainly on the server side. By the time Vista
    is thoroughly in the pipeline, I think we'll see a rather broader uptake.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 17, 2006
  7. GregH wrote:
    > So, what's the hold up? Are we all waiting for Vista? Why isn't device
    > mfgrs jumping on the band wagon? I'm just trying to figure out why the 64
    > bit initiative isn't moving any faster?

    Device manufacturers are not doing anything unless they have a business
    case. An important point in that business case is marketing: can they
    use 64bit compatibility to driver sales? So far the answer is basically no.

    What is needed is a certification problem. The Vista Logo will do that
    in the future: shiny new logo, good sales, happy customers (well, at
    least in theory). But for now there is *no* certification program, and
    this kills x64 for many smaller manufacturers.

    The other thing is that very few people actually need 64 bit. It is most
    useful if you have more than 4 GB of RAM. And even in this group there
    are very few people that have some much memory. Just wait 3 years, and 4
    GB should be the standard amount of memory (and IE 9 probably uses 3 of
    those right after startup...).

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Feb 17, 2006
  8. ask Intel (or compare Intel and AMD x64 performance!)

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Andre,

    OK, you've peeked my interest. Any additional details on what product
    Oracle purchased?

    Greg

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0g=?=, Apr 11, 2006