64-bit IE7 felicity: 32-bit add-ons don't run (hooray!)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David Stevens, Aug 23, 2008.

  1. I love 64-bit Vista.

    ActiveX controls and browser add-ons -- like Adobe Flash --
    tend to be 32-bit animals. They don't work on the 64-bit
    versions of IE7 and other browsers. I like that.

    It means I don't get bothered by advertising animations.
    Instead, I get lots of little messages inviring me to
    install the newest Flash. I find those messages easier
    to ignore than the actual animations. They also
    require less bandwidth.

    If my wife really needs a video fix from YouTube
    or the Daily Show website, she can use the 32-bit
    version of IE7.

    But I've come to favor the 64-bit browser precisely
    because it helps me keep my focus on whatever I am
    actually using the Net for. When Adobe someday releases
    a 64-bit version of Flash, I'm disinclined to install it.

    As the philosopher Snoopy (from the old Peanuts comic strip)
    once observed, "the secret of life is to have pleasant side
    effects."

    - David Steven
    David Stevens, Aug 23, 2008

  2. I absolutely agree. I run DQSD (www.dqsd.net) as my primary search starting
    point, and since it's 64-bit, it calls the 64-bit IE. And you know, I don't
    miss all that crud. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2008

  3. David Stevens

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    You happiness might not last forever.
    An article in www.start64.com states that Flash for IE-64 bit might be on
    the works and I betcha it will get installed on your PC as soon you regret
    from having clicked Ok where you shouldn't.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 25, 2008
  4. Probably, probably. Sigh. Well, it really was too good to last. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2008