    reimage back to the 32 bit OS version on new hardware for now and try again
    in 6 months or so when things catch up. I will have to buy several pieces of
    64bit hardware and need to make sure it is a safe plan.

    =?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=, Apr 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=

    Theo Guest

    The only pieces of hardware that are "64-bit" are the
    motherboard and the CPU. All other hardware you purchase
    will function in a x86 series computer whether it is 8-bit,
    16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit as long as the board has slots the
    hardware will fit into. Obviously you can't plug an ISA
    board into a PCI slot, and so forth.

    You do need a 64-bit platform, board & CPU, to run 64-bit
    operating systems, and you can run either 8-bit, 16-bit,
    32-bit, or 64-bit operating systems on an x86 extended
    (64-bit) CPU.

    Most 32-bit software will run on Win x64 and/or Vista x64.
    The biggest problems are when a 32-bit program uses a 16-bit
    installer.

    Theo, Apr 14, 2007

  3. Assuming we are talking about x64 hardware, the answer is yes, it is
    completely compatible with a 32-bit OS. (x64 is Microsoft's word for
    hardware that uses the AMD64 instruction set. This includes 64-bit hardware
    from AMD, and "EM64T" hardware from Intel. It does NOT include "Itanium" or
    "IA64" hardware from Intel.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you plan to take an image of your 32 bit system now, and image it back on
    new equipment there will be a number of considerations you need to take into
    account. Two are, the drivers associated with the new hardware, and how the
    drive will enumerate in your configuration. I would add that I haven't had
    the luck Theo has had at getting 32-bit programs to run on Vista64. Some
    problems are Vista and some related to 64-bit.

    John Barnes, Apr 14, 2007
  5. Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

    =?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=, Apr 14, 2007

  1. Alan Strassberg

    hardware software compatibility matrix URL

    Alan Strassberg, Jul 19, 2004, in forum: Cisco
  3. Windows XP hardware compatibility

    , Jan 22, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Harrison
    Jan 22, 2004
  4. Nate

    Software/Hardware Compatibility list

    Nate, Sep 10, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit

    32-Bit Driver/Hardware Compatibility Mode?

    Avatar, Jul 30, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit